Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3,
Where am I supposed to be seeing battery amps?
garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
garsh said:
Is there a way to see the instantaneous drain on the main battery?
If you select AltGids then RPM is replaced with battary amps.
Is it the value displayed below GIDs?
If so, it's staying at 0.0A for me. I'm running 0.25p1
13+-+1

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.26g (-FS) is up for testing

Features
* Final version of the temperture layout
* New Setting/Battery Temperature panel where you can select the Max/Avg/Min temp display or the original 4 Sensors display

The default is Max/Avg/Min which is what most people are probably interested in. For the tech people you can switch to the sensor reading display.
Very nice solution! I like it. Excellent work!

Formatting issue on 0.26g:

In portrait mode on Screen 1, the added text indicating QC Count and L1/L2 Count causes the text to overrun. The VIN runs off the screen towards the left and the L1/L2 Count number runs off to the right, making neither value completely visible.

Can someone list what data this app is retrieving from the car, vs what information is derived or calculated based on data from the car.

Particularly related to battery capacity. Which of the following fields are directly reported by the Leaf and which are calculated by the app.

- Ahr
- capacity %
- kWh that the battery is currently charged to
- SOC%. How does this relate if at all to the soc% reported on the 2013 console?
- GIDs

Thanks
What is the expected max kWh charge that should be reported?

waitingforaleaf said:
Formatting issue on 0.26g:

In portrait mode on Screen 1, the added text indicating QC Count and L1/L2 Count causes the text to overrun. The VIN runs off the screen towards the left and the L1/L2 Count number runs off to the right, making neither value completely visible.
Those labels should not be being added in portait mode. Please go to the app Settings/System panel and tell me the screen size, scale and dpi you see listed there in the lower right corner.

What phone is this happening on?

Turbo3 said:
Those labels should not be being added in portait mode. Please go to the app Settings/System panel and tell me the screen size, scale and dpi you see listed there in the lower right corner.

This is on a Galaxy S3

App Settings and System panel shows:
720 x 1280, scale = 2.0 (320 dpi)

edit: Screen size is 4.8"

dm33 said:
Can someone list what data this app is retrieving from the car, vs what information is derived or calculated based on data from the car.

Particularly related to battery capacity. Which of the following fields are directly reported by the Leaf and which are calculated by the app.

- Ahr
- capacity %
- kWh that the battery is currently charged to
- SOC%. How does this relate if at all to the soc% reported on the 2013 console?
- GIDs

Thanks
What is the expected max kWh charge that should be reported?
Only DTE miles/km and Wh used are calculated numbers. Everything else comes from the Leaf. So everything on your list comes from the Leaf.

If when you charge your 2013 to 80% and 100% the console display shows 80% and 95% then the SOCs are the same. Max charge on a new battery is reported to be 281 GIDs which would be 22.48 kWh.

waitingforaleaf said:
Turbo3 said:

This is on a Galaxy S3

App Settings and System panel shows:
720 x 1280, scale = 2.0 (320 dpi)

edit: Screen size is 4.8"
Ok, I see the problem. I need to divide the current screen width (720) by the scale (720/2=360) to get the real screen width for the app. 360 would be less than 480 and the app would not add the extra labels. Without that fix the app thinks the usable width is 720 so adds the labels.

Version 0.26h (-FS) is up for testing.

Fix
* Better detection if there is enough room for labels on Screen 1 line 2
* Minor adjustments to Temp screen to better display temperatures over 99.9 degrees

Needs to be tested on devices that show a scale factor of 2.0 like Galaxy S3.

Turbo3 said:
Max charge on a new battery is reported to be 281 GIDs which would be 22.48 kWh.

1) Is the app showing a DTE (when 4 miles per kWh is selected) of 4 * 22.48 = 89.9 miles with no reserve?

2) Would it be possible to add temperature corrections, since you have the temperature data?

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.26h (-FS) is up for testing.

Fix
* Better detection if there is enough room for labels on Screen 1 line 2
* Minor adjustments to Temp screen to better display temperatures over 99.9 degrees

Needs to be tested on devices that show a scale factor of 2.0 like Galaxy S3.

The label issue looks like it's fixed. Working fine on my Galaxy S3 now, thanks :)

TonyWilliams said:
Turbo3 said:
Max charge on a new battery is reported to be 281 GIDs which would be 22.48 kWh.

1) Is the app showing a DTE (when 4 miles per kWh is selected) of 4 * 22.48 = 89.9 miles with no reserve?

2) Would it be possible to add temperature corrections, since you have the temperature data?
1) DTE is based on the current selection and remainng GIDs. For LBW that would be (remaining GIDs-49)*0.08*(miles/kWh). For VLBW change the 49 to 24. For DTE to "rsrv" it would be ((remaining GIDS*0.08)-Reserved energy in kWh)*(miles/kWh). There is no way to show DTE with no reserve since the lowest reserve is 0.2 kWh.

2) Just change your miles/kWh to adjust for temperture. There are no plans to make any auto adjustments based on temperature.

Turbo3 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Turbo3 said:

1) DTE is based on the current selection and remainng GIDs. For LBW that would be (remaining GIDs-49)*0.08*(miles/kWh). For VLBW change the 49 to 24. For DTE to "rsrv" it would be ((remaining GIDS*0.08)-Reserved energy in kWh)*(miles/kWh). There is no way to show DTE with no reserve since the lowest reserve is 0.2 kWh.

Ok, that's what I thought you were doing. For the record, I have never driven any LEAF of the dozens that I have tested to Turtle (and even my own car about two dozen times to Turtle) that met the 0.08kWh per GID times miles/kWh = range autonomy in miles. I don't know of anybody short of Nissan that has done this as many times as I have in so many controlled drives. Yes, I know what the Nissan book says a GID equals.

No sane driver is going to get to 0.2kWh remaining, so could we make the minimum reserve higher... maybe 0.48kWh? (6 Gids). It really is time to get off the road and the car will very likely be in Turtle, or very, very close to Turtle. Yes, I know what cell pair voltages are.

2) Just change your miles/kWh to adjust for temperature. There are no plans to make any auto adjustments based on temperature.

How would a technically disinterested person know to do that, or how much to "adjust" for? Heck, I wouldn't know how much to adjust for without some good number crunching, and I'd say that I'm pretty adept at this stuff. How much would you adjust the miles/kWh with a car cold soaked at -10F versus one at 70F?

Even more confusing would be that any adjustment would vary significantly from the readout on the dash. For the record, I do appreciate that you included a reference to DTE in the way I suggested it earlier. I'd just like it to be the best that it can be.

Turbo3 said:
garsh said:
Below the top number 134 GIDs. you will see "0.0A". That is the battery amps. In this case indicating zero Amps.
It's only ever showing 0.0 amps. I took this snapshot while we were driving down the highway.

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
garsh said:
Below the top number 134 GIDs. you will see "0.0A". That is the battery amps. In this case indicating zero Amps.
It's only ever showing 0.0 amps. I took this snapshot while we were driving down the highway.
I will need a short 30 second ELM trace to see what is going on. Go back a few pages for instructions on how to do it.

Turbo3 said:
Features
* Settings/DTE panel has an option to select "Alt DTE calc" which will use Tony Williams' formula for calculating DTE. It includes temperature compensation.
Awesome! Thanks so much for giving this a shot, Jim.

Back