Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
Do I have something configured wrong or is it normal to have a 6-volt offset in the L1/L2 voltage display?
Where is the L1/L2 voltage displayed? I must have missed that part.

Why is Alt-Gids still available in the settings menu, since 0.26 reads true Gids? Also, why does it change RPM to amps?

Stoaty said:
GerryAZ said:
Do I have something configured wrong or is it normal to have a 6-volt offset in the L1/L2 voltage display?
Where is the L1/L2 voltage displayed? I must have missed that part.

Why is Alt-Gids still available in the settings menu, since 0.26 reads true Gids? Also, why does it change RPM to amps?

That's why Alt Gids is there right now. So we can alternate between As and RPMs.

LEAFfan said:
That's why Alt Gids is there right now. So we can alternate between As and RPMs.
So you are saying that the name is wrong for the function it performs? No one would ever expect that "Alt Gids" checkbox performs this function.

Stoaty said:
Suggested feature: warning if difference between maximum and minimum PSI for tires is greater than some setting in the settings screen. This could pick up a tire that is over inflated compared to the rest, even if all are above the threshold for a warning based on low PSI.

PS I have done a rough update on the Wiki manual (link in my signature) for 0.26c for everything except the settings screen (still awaiting updated screen shots from JPWhite for that). Knowledgeable members, please check the manual for errors/omissions. :D Thanks.

For screen 2A may I suggest a change of wording?
Connected icon description last line reads

'Another press toggles back'

I'd suggest
'Press again to resume data transmission.'

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
So you are saying that the name is wrong for the function it performs? No one would ever expect that "Alt Gids" checkbox performs this function.

I believe Jim said it was temporary.

GerryAZ said:
Thank you very much to Jim especially and to all the othrs who have contributed to this app. I have a couple of questions regarding the L1/L2 charging voltage and 12-volt battery voltage displays:

Do I have something configured wrong or is it normal to have a 6-volt offset in the L1/L2 voltage display? With the car plugged in and the EVSE contactor open (AV unit ready but waiting for car's charge start timer) I see 30A and 6V. With the EVSE contactor closed and car charging, I see 30A and 249V when the voltage measured with my Fluke 289 is actually 243 V RMS.

Regarding the 12-volt battery display--is it normal to be jumping up and down all the time? Does the 12-volt displayed value come from the CAN bus or from an A/D converter in the ELM? If it is from the ELM device, are there some units that give more stable readings than others?

Thanks,
Gerry
Seeing 6v while plugged into EVSE and not charging is normal. The voltage is the voltage reported by the Leaf. How accurate it is is not known.

The current 12 volt reading is from the ELM. But I will probably be changing this to what the Leaf tells me.

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
Checking Alt GIDs uses a different request to get real GIDs and as a bonus the Leaf response also includes battery amps so I display it. Alt GIDs is the same value as true GIDs.

JPWhite said:
Stoaty said:
Suggested feature: warning if difference between maximum and minimum PSI for tires is greater than some setting in the settings screen. This could pick up a tire that is over inflated compared to the rest, even if all are above the threshold for a warning based on low PSI.

PS I have done a rough update on the Wiki manual (link in my signature) for 0.26c for everything except the settings screen (still awaiting updated screen shots from JPWhite for that). Knowledgeable members, please check the manual for errors/omissions. :D Thanks.

For screen 2A may I suggest a change of wording?
Connected icon description last line reads

'Another press toggles back'

I'd suggest
'Press again to resume data transmission.'
Pressing the CONNECTED icon does not stop the transmissions. The app is always sending requests. The message changes to "Screen Frozen". Which does only what it says. The updating of the screen is skipped so you can examine it more closely. But the OBDII lights will still be flashing.

Turbo3 said:
Pressing the CONNECTED icon does not stop the transmissions. The app is always sending requests. The message changes to "Screen Frozen". Which does only what it says. The updating of the screen is skipped so you can examine it more closely. But the OBDII lights will still be flashing.
Wiki manual updated.

Version 0.26d (-FS) is up for testing in the beta folder.

Features
* Screen 4 - Tapping large top number cycles between showing GIDs, %GIDs and %SOC.

Needs to be tested on different phones (Galaxy S2, S3, S4 and others).

While "Offline" you can go to the Settings/Debug panel and check "Test Mode". On exit of Settings the GIDs and SOC will cycle through a range of values. Look for what happens above 100% in both portrait and landscape oreinations for all three layouts. So a total of six test for each phone/device type.

Depending on space available some numbers will not show tenths digit (i.e. 103. instead of 103.3) this is normal when there is limited space on the line.

Using LEAF indicated speedometer readings I got

65 mph = 7,025 rpm
70 mph = 7,550 rpm.

Thus, by linear extrapolation (did not do the actual driving at this speed (!)), 94mph = 10,148 rpm, which is awfully close to 10,000 (and within acceptable error/fluctuation). I am wondering if the data is actually in ‰ of maximum rpm (motor limit). Does anyone know or can easily access the motor spec ?

( And, no, the passenger was taking the readings while I was driving safely, in case you wondered ;) )

Turbo3 said:
While "Offline" you can go to the Settings/Debug panel and check "Test Mode". On exit of Settings the GIDs and SOC will cycle through a range of values. Look for what happens above 100% in both portrait and landscape orientations for all three layouts. So a total of six test for each phone/device type.
The cycling of Gids, % Gids and % SOC with a tap works fine (AT&T Fusion 2 phone). Very nice addition. Not sure what you mean by "offline", but when I try to test using "Test Mode" with the phone far from my Leaf, no cycling of a range of values. Bottom right status says "Looking 4 ELM".

This should be added to Wiki too.

To enter Offline mode:
* Start app and make sure "Auto Enable Bluetooth" checkbox is not checked on Settings/System panel
* Exit app
* On Phone/Device turn off Bluetooth
* Start app and you will get the message "Do you want to Enable Bluetooth?"
* Answer "No"
* You are now in "Offline" mode. Since Bluetooth was off and you did not allow the app to turn it on the app can not communicate with the ELM.

Turbo3 said:
This should be added to Wiki too.

To enter Offline mode:
* Start app and make sure "Auto Enable Bluetooth" checkbox is not checked on Settings/System panel
* Exit app
* On Phone/Device turn off Bluetooth
* Start app and you will get the message "Do you want to Enable Bluetooth?"
* Answer "No"
* You are now in "Offline" mode. Since Bluetooth was off and you did not allow the app to turn it on the app can not communicate with the ELM.
Added to Wiki manual. Everything looks good in Test mode on Fusion 2 phone.

Version 0.26e (-FS) is in the Beta area.

Features/Fixes
* Fixed layout issue with temp/tire pressure panel in Landscape not using the entire panel
* Add delta tire pressure to tire pressure panel.

If I decide to add a delta tire pressure alarm can we decide on a single value like 3 PSI difference sets off an alarm. Trying to avoid having too many settings.

What differences are people seeing right now in the real world? I see 1.25 PSI for mine from saved data. During a drive it will vary as the tires heat up.

6t9z.png

wow Turbo3, happy with 0.25 and took a sabbatical from the thread, just came back for 0.26 and had to go over 30 pages of excellent comments.

Got two requests for enhancements:
1) keeping track of tire rotations, since everytime you rotate the psi display should be flipped to always show the psi for the front tires first and it would be good to ask for mileage at the time of the rotation. I'm in the process of getting a warranty replacement of my tires since they went to 2/32nds in 9000 miles and I'm now sensitive to thread wear and how to track it.

2) to minimize app/user confusion to handle the long list of user settings, could it be feasible to track a long selection of a screen section to put the app into settings for that portion of the screen?

anyway, kudos for the excellent development process you have in place. This is the most dynamic and responsive app turn around I've ever witnessed. You may be into a new career when Nissan makes your app standard for every LEAF.

Turbo3 said:
If I decide to add a delta tire pressure alarm can we decide on a single value like 3 PSI difference sets off an alarm. Trying to avoid having too many settings.

What differences are people seeing right now in the real world? I see 1.25 PSI for mine from saved data. During a drive it will vary as the tires heat up.
I am seeing a difference of 1.0 PSI (I check my tires every 2 weeks). A fixed value would be reasonable, perhaps 2.5 or 3 PSI.

Back