Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
Found a small issue with 0.26a.

With a black background it is not possible to toggle between LBW/VLBW and rsrv estimates. Only works with cyan screen.
Can you confirm if this is really happening for you?

The cycle code has nothing to do with the screen colors so this does not make any sense to me and I can not reproduce it.

The RPM is displayed as "0000 RPM 0" when not in the car,
not connected, and not moving. So, the zero value is as expected,
but the formatting seems to have 4 digits in front, instead of 5,
and an extra "space zero" after the label.

So, it looks like a formatting issue?

I will try it in the car later.

garygid said:
The RPM is displayed as "0000 RPM 0" when not in the car,
not connected, and not moving. So, the zero value is as expected,
but the formatting seems to have 4 digits in front, instead of 5,
and an extra "space zero" after the label.

So, it looks like a formatting issue?

I will try it in the car later.
That is normal. The RPM message has two RPM values that are almost the same. I display one and show the difference to the other so we can try to determine the relationship between the two RPM values. When I have driven the second number has a small postive or negative value.

Turbo3 said:
JPWhite said:
Found a small issue with 0.26a.

With a black background it is not possible to toggle between LBW/VLBW and rsrv estimates. Only works with cyan screen.
Can you confirm if this is really happening for you?

The cycle code has nothing to do with the screen colors so this does not make any sense to me and I can not reproduce it.

No you were right, I was pressing in the wrong location. Must be something subconcious that makes you press below the number when the background changes. All is well, sorry for the false alert.

Under Android's "Manage Applications" selecting "Leaf Battery" it reports the app as "version 0.25" although I have 0.26a installed.

The RPM shows 4x zeros. Does anyone know what happens at 94mph ? ;) ( I expect RPM > 9,999. ) ( And I may be wrong on that ... not sure what motor limit max RPM is ... )

In "Offline" mode the DTE switching doesn't work. Although I can use "Settings" to change what's being displayed while remaining in "Offline". Is that on purpose ?

Suggestion: The lower-left day/night-time toggle area (light bulb) seems to stretch all the way down the "current screen" area (4 bubbles with one being "O") ... how about allowing switching of screens (selectable direction of CW or CCW in "Settings") with tapping the "4 bubbles" area ?

Edit: Add-on: Is there any way to "know" that the tire pressures are "stale" ? Does the CAN info maybe include a flag to that effect ? Or can the app figure out that it's been more than (for example) 15 minutes since the tires "rotated" ? ( And if "staleness" can be determined, how about using "greyed" out values for PSI display as a reminder to the user that the PSIs are "old" ? I keep seeing yesterday's hot pressures when the car is turned on ... not a super big deal, but nevertheless a suggestion for improvement. )

LEAFer said:
Under Android's "Manage Applications" selecting "Leaf Battery" it reports the app as "version 0.25" although I have 0.26a installed.

The RPM shows 4x zeros. Does anyone know what happens at 94mph ? ;) ( I expect RPM > 9,999. ) ( And I may be wrong on that ... not sure what motor limit max RPM is ... )

In "Offline" mode the DTE switching doesn't work. Although I can use "Settings" to change what's being displayed while remaining in "Offline". Is that on purpose ?

Suggestion: The lower-left day/night-time toggle area (light bulb) seems to stretch all the way down the "current screen" area (4 bubbles with one being "O") ... how about allowing switching of screens (selectable direction of CW or CCW in "Settings") with tapping the "4 bubbles" area ?
The next release will fix the reported version number.

Max RPM that can be displayed is 32767 RPM. It will just add another digit in front. Don't recommend testing to get to see the 5th digit ;-)

I do most of my testing in "Offline" mode so it does work. You are probably tapping too low and hitting the label below the number. Next version will allow tapping the label to cycle too.

I will look into the suggestion for the next version. Although I am thinking just clockwise (1-2-3-4-1...). Not sure we need to add more settings.

LEAFer said:
Edit: Add-on: Is there any way to "know" that the tire pressures are "stale" ? Does the CAN info maybe include a flag to that effect ? Or can the app figure out that it's been more than (for example) 15 minutes since the tires "rotated" ? ( And if "staleness" can be determined, how about using "greyed" out values for PSI display as a reminder to the user that the PSIs are "old" ? I keep seeing yesterday's hot pressures when the car is turned on ... not a super big deal, but nevertheless a suggestion for improvement. )
Assuming you have exited the app and restarted it, old saved PSI values are displayed as "(PSI)" until they are read and then it shows just "PSI".

Thanks a whole bunch for all of the updates and new features. I just installed V0.26b and compared the battery temperature readings to V0.25k that I had running before. The new version gives slightly higher numbers which make more sense in the 101F ambient: V0.25k readings 103.2, 102.6, 102.5, and 101.7; V0.26b readings 106.0, 105.3, 102.6, and 104.4 degrees F. There was only a minute or so between readings (just long enough to download and install the new version).

Thanks,
Gerry

Turbo3 said:
LEAFer said:
I do most of my testing in "Offline" mode so it does work. You are probably tapping too low and hitting the label below the number. Next version will allow tapping the label to cycle too.

I will look into the suggestion for the next version. Although I am thinking just clockwise (1-2-3-4-1...). Not sure we need to add more settings.
Yup, that was it.

Only-CW is fine.

Turbo3 said:
LEAFer said:
Edit: Add-on: Is there any way to "know" that the tire pressures are "stale" ? ...
Assuming you have exited the app and restarted it, old saved PSI values are displayed as "(PSI)" until they are read and then it shows just "PSI".
Sorry ... I missed that "()" meaning ... works for me :)

Version 0.26c (-FS) is now available.

Features/Fixes in v0.26c
* Version number is correctly reported by Android
* Touch area to cycle DTE now includes the label under the DTE value
* Tapping the lower left corner screen indicator steps to the next screen. A tap and hold will step back to the previous screen

I updated the app to the 0.26 general release and just tried it out - It works great - Thanks Jim !
I'm using the Excelvan ELM327 scanner and a Hisense Sero Pro 7 Android Tablet and it works consistently.
I primarily use it to get a snapshot of the state of the battery and save the screenshots. Thanks for adding the option to display the VIN, now I won't be confused about who's LEAF that was I was checking. Displaying the date and time and the mileage on one or all of the screens, if possible, would be a nice feature.

Another forum member who has experienced the loss of 1 bar with relatively low miles (under 36K) has taken his LEAF to a Nissan Dealer for a more extensive battery check to look for a bad or failing cell. The dealer report I saw showed information about the diagnostic test(s) performed - something called a Cell Voltage Loss Inspection (CVLI) diagnostics test which uses a minimum cell voltage (3.712v) and other criteria to determine if any cells are out of spec for warranty. I believe the test is performed with only 1 bar of charge showing. Since this App is able to collect all of the required data, it seems it could use this information to tell the user if any cell voltages are out of spec.

solarman said:
I updated the app to the 0.26 general release and just tried it out - It works great - Thanks Jim !
I'm using the Excelvan ELM327 scanner and a Hisense Sero Pro 7 Android Tablet and it works consistently.
I primarily use it to get a snapshot of the state of the battery and save the screenshots. Thanks for adding the option to display the VIN, now I won't be confused about who's LEAF that was I was checking. Displaying the date and time and the mileage on one or all of the screens, if possible, would be a nice feature.

Another forum member who has experienced the loss of 1 bar with relatively low miles (under 36K) has taken his LEAF to a Nissan Dealer for a more extensive battery check to look for a bad or failing cell. The dealer report I saw showed information about the diagnostic test(s) performed - something called a Cell Voltage Loss Inspection (CVLI) diagnostics test which uses a minimum cell voltage (3.712v) and other criteria to determine if any cells are out of spec for warranty. I believe the test is performed with only 1 bar of charge showing. Since this App is able to collect all of the required data, it seems it could use this information to tell the user if any cell voltages are out of spec.

Thanks for the info.

If the minimum cell voltage goes below 3.712v can an alert appear on the app, then the log can be used to determine which cell pair(s). Maybe a secondary screen to screen 1 which shows details about the cell pairs anyway?

Where did the forum member live who had the CVLI done? I am at 30,000 with a lost bar. I will take my car in for its 2 year battery check this week anyway. I may request a more thorough diagnostic, I see 5 pairs around 3.716v which is getting to be close.

Small feature request: Since I have the Leaf Battery App locked to landscape mode, I would like to have the option to lock the Settings Screen to landscape as well. It's always bouncing around depending on the exact orientation of the phone.

PS 0.26c looks really great! Thanks for all the hard work.

solarman said:
I primarily use it to get a snapshot of the state of the battery and save the screenshots. Thanks for adding the option to display the VIN, now I won't be confused about who's LEAF that was I was checking.
Finally someone who understands the importance of have the VIN on the battery screen.

Turbo3 said:
solarman said:
I primarily use it to get a snapshot of the state of the battery and save the screenshots. Thanks for adding the option to display the VIN, now I won't be confused about who's LEAF that was I was checking.
Finally someone who understands the importance of have the VIN on the battery screen.

+1

And also in the logs. If someone has a bad pair with low voltage it sure would be nice to identify the problem vehicle once the analysis is done in excel.

BTW thanks so much for adding PSI to this app. I realized I had one tire 3-4 PSI lower than the others. I either have a slow leak, or I forgot to top one off after the new tires were installed. Now I can keep my eye on it.

It begs the question why this type of data isn't available on the nav screen on the LEAF itself. They could lock out the option while moving if they are concerned about safety. I much prefer the real data rather than idiot lights/gauges.

JPWhite said:
It begs the question why this type of data isn't available on the nav screen on the LEAF itself. They could lock out the option while moving if they are concerned about safety. I much prefer the real data rather than idiot lights/gauges.
Yes, and hopefully Nissan will pay attention to similar requests, and have a good look at Jim's app.

Suggested feature: warning if difference between maximum and minimum PSI for tires is greater than some setting in the settings screen. This could pick up a tire that is over inflated compared to the rest, even if all are above the threshold for a warning based on low PSI.

PS I have done a rough update on the Wiki manual (link in my signature) for 0.26c for everything except the settings screen (still awaiting updated screen shots from JPWhite for that). Knowledgeable members, please check the manual for errors/omissions. :D Thanks.

Thank you very much to Jim especially and to all the othrs who have contributed to this app. I have a couple of questions regarding the L1/L2 charging voltage and 12-volt battery voltage displays:

Do I have something configured wrong or is it normal to have a 6-volt offset in the L1/L2 voltage display? With the car plugged in and the EVSE contactor open (AV unit ready but waiting for car's charge start timer) I see 30A and 6V. With the EVSE contactor closed and car charging, I see 30A and 249V when the voltage measured with my Fluke 289 is actually 243 V RMS.

Regarding the 12-volt battery display--is it normal to be jumping up and down all the time? Does the 12-volt displayed value come from the CAN bus or from an A/D converter in the ELM? If it is from the ELM device, are there some units that give more stable readings than others?

Thanks,
Gerry

Back