Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorphin said:
What's the definative that the turtle comes on, at? (I -might- do it.. but i want to make sure i can get it to come on when i'm right near home.
I would get careful around 10 Gid or 0.8 kWh. The final true SOC at the end of turtle mode is about 2%, and the stored energy is about 400 or 480 Wh (4 or 5 Gid). It would be good to confirm that Jim's app will show this data or something close to it.

Alternatively, you could run the LEAF pretty low, let's say to about 5 or 6% SOC, and finish it off by running A/C or the heater in the confines of your garage. This would take the fear of getting stranded out of the equation. That said, it can be fun to push the envelope sometimes ;-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk[/youtube]

Ran the battery down to 14% before my recharge tonight.
Interestingly enough...between my last check just a couple day s ago I lost .65% capacity! .43ah.
Is this capacity something that my go up/down at times...or did I just happen to catch it going down such a large amount from the last time I charged? Perhaps this varies with the battery balance, etc? My gosh, I hope I don't start losing .50% every time I charge!

cimg5692a.jpg

cimg5697p.jpg

ELROY said:
Interestingly enough...between my last check just a couple day s ago I lost .65% capacity! .43ah.
Is this capacity something that my go up/down at times...or did I just happen to catch it going down such a large amount from the last time I charged? Perhaps this varies with the battery balance, etc? My gosh, I hope I don't start losing .50% every time I charge!
batteryproblemmnl

That would correspond to a variance of about 2 Gid on a full charge. I think many here can attest larger fluctuation in capacity, especially when monitoring it over a period of several days or weeks.

surfingslovak said:
ELROY said:
batteryproblemmnl

That would correspond to a variance of about 2 Gid on a full charge. I think many here can attest larger fluctuation in capacity, especially when monitoring it over a period of several days or weeks.

So does it rachet down? Or can it also go up at times. And with ambient temp going up from 75-85F, wouldn't that actually increase capacity? We know how cold temps can supposely decrease capacity a good 5%-10%, do these screen readouts actually reflect that in the capacity reading? And again, can capacity screen readings go down AND up?

ELROY said:
So does it rachet down? Or can it also go up at times. And with ambient temp going up from 75-85F, wouldn't that actually increase capacity? We know how cold temps can supposely decrease capacity a good 5%-10%, do these screen readouts actually reflect that in the capacity reading? And again, can capacity screen readings go down AND up?
Yes, Gids can go up and down, and although we don't know much about the CAP value, the same is likely true there. Here is a stored energy plot TickTock did last year. It shows that his battery capacity went up in winter and down in the summer. This is contrary to what we would expect from this type of battery chemistry, and is now generally accepted as one of LEAF's idiosyncrasies.

ticktockgidsgraphlarge

This will become version 0.16 tomorrow morning.

leafbat015td.png

leafbat015te.png

Miles per kWhr range is 2.0 to 6.0 in 0.1 increments.
Percentage at Turtle range is 2% to 10% in 1% increments.

Defaults are 4 miles/kWhr and 5% level when Turtle comes on.

Turbo3 said:
Defaults are 4 miles/kWhr and 5% level when Turtle comes on.
Excellent work, Jim! It would be good to get the onset of turtle validated. It will likely occur at 2 or 3% SOC. Perhaps the drop-down list with end of range SOC percentages could be named differently. How about "cutoff" or "reserve"? Once turtle, VLB and LB are validated in terms of SOC, could they be referenced that way in the list?

range cutoff
-----------
10%
9%
8% (VLB)
7%
6%
5%
4%
3% (Turtle)
2% (Dead)
1%

surfingslovak said:
and finish it off by running A/C or the heater in the confines of your garage. This would take the fear of getting stranded out of the equation. That said, can be fun to push the envelope sometimes ;-)

My heat/ a/c uses a bit less juice now because of the heat pump the 13s have.

sorphin said:
My heat/ a/c uses a bit less juice now because of the heat pump the 13s have.
True enough. At an estimated 1 kW power draw, it might take half an hour to draw down 500 Wh, 6 Gids or about 2% SOC. That's about 2 miles of range with careful driving.

The LBW and the VLBW are not at a fixed SOC value.
They are at a constant GID value.

With an original capacity tank,the VLBW might be at about 8% SOC,
but with a tank shrunk to half capacity, the VLBW will probably
be at around 16%. In both cases, it would be at about 8.5 %GIDs.

garygid said:
The LBW and the VLBW are not at a fixed SOC value.
They are at a constant GID value.

With an original capacity tank,the VLBW might be at about 8% SOC,
but with a tank shrunk to half capacity, the VLBW will probably
be at around 16%. In both cases, it would be at about 8.5 %GIDs.
That's a good point, I forgot about that. Would it make sense to define the cutoff in terms of kWh then? VLB at 2 kWh, turtle at 0.5 kWh and the car is dead at 0.3 or 0.4 kWh.

In the list of AT commands supported by the real ELM327 chip,
there is the "@3" command that appears to allow one to set
the MAC address of the device.

EDIT: No, it is not the MAC address, as I had hoped, but just the
hex representation of 6 Ascii printable characters which are
only read with the @2 command.

ELROY said:

cimg5692a.jpg

cimg5697p.jpg

How do I toggle between these screens?

vijayl said:
ELROY said:

cimg5692a.jpg

cimg5697p.jpg

How do I toggle between these screens?

If you are talking about the 2 screen shots I posted. They were taken with a camera before and after the charge. I didn't toggle.

After I finished charging back up to 80% (79.22% on the screenshot) which took 4.25hrs, I thought it would be a good time to try and balance the pack. I plugged in for L1 charging and charged till it finished almost exactly 4hrs later. Kind of suprised the SOC only went up to 95.38%. Is this normal? Or is it because I only have 96.03% capacity to work with now? Showing a max-min voltage of .018v between packs. Is this good/bad? I still have the car plugged in, to see if it might start charging again. Or am I supposed to unplug, plug it back in and try to force it to top off?

Here is the screenshot after 4.25hrs on L2, and 4hrs on L1 charging:

cimg5706.jpg

Version 0.16 released. See first post for new screen shots and zip file.

* New Screen 3 with %SOC, remaining kWhr, used Whr (reset with long tap), max battery temp and miles remaining.
* New Settings menu panel that supports DTE calculation (Miles/kWhr and either % reserve or kWhr reserve).

DTE caluation uses remaining kWhrs minus either the % selected or a fixed kWhr as a reserve. Then multiplies it by the Miles/kWhr specified.

115EOMT

Percent Reserve is a percent of what, perhaps SOC?

A percent of SOC is a variable amount of energy, depending
upon the capacity of the (possibly shrunken) fuel tank
(a reduced Battery Pack capacity).

Back