Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see this mentioned, but the battery temperature doesn't register for me on screen 3 now. It doesn't matter if I request max, min, or average. All temps show fine on screen 4. Ambient temperature often varies by a degree from the dash display on screen 4. I can't tell if it is rounding or updating difference, but they tend to stay different for most of a 15 minute drive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-11-09-38-03.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-11-09-38-03.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 89
nogajim said:
I didn't see this mentioned, but the battery temperature doesn't register for me on screen 3 now. It doesn't matter if I request max, min, or average. All temps show fine on screen 4. Ambient temperature often varies by a degree from the dash display on screen 4. I can't tell if it is rounding or updating difference, but they tend to stay different for most of a 15 minute drive.
Yes, I noticed that too but have not had time to look into it. Screen 3 is very low priority.

The ambient temp I report is faster response than that reported by dash. Probably different sensor too. Dash has very slow response to external changes.

----------------------------------------------
Found problem with screen 3 temp. I moved instead of copied the code that calculates temps. Will be fixed in 026m3

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
This would work because tire rotation just moves front to back not side to side.
I do the rearward-cross tire rotation pattern myself:
tire_rotation_abc.jpg
+1. Otherwise using a simply front-back rotation I end up wearing the shoulders of the left-hand tires faster because my typical driving tends to cause me to take right-hand turns more aggressively.

Edit: For clarity, I use the forward cross pattern.

drees said:
garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
This would work because tire rotation just moves front to back not side to side.
I do the rearward-cross tire rotation pattern myself:
tire_rotation_abc.jpg
+1. Otherwise using a simply front-back rotation I end up wearing the shoulders of the left-hand tires faster because my typical driving tends to cause me to take right-hand turns more aggressively.

I'm confused. Why would u two do the rearward cross when it says that's for rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive? The forward cross or the X pattern is for fwd like the LEAF.

LEAFfan said:
I'm confused. Why would u two do the rearward cross when it says that's for rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive? The forward cross or the X pattern is for fwd like the LEAF.
Sorry, you're right, I actually use the forward cross pattern. But in real life there is little difference...

Turbo3 said:
Looks like someone needs to start a tire rotation topic.

Please type to keep the discussion here to the TPMS and whether I should add a TPMS registration function to the app.

Add it already. :D My second set of wheels are waiting.

The LEAF has this mode where if your tire pressure is low, it beeps while you fill it to let you know when it is full. This must mean that in some circumstances the TPMS broadcast pressures even when the car is not moving. Any chance this can be used to tell which tire is which?

thimel said:
The LEAF has this mode where if your tire pressure is low, it beeps while you fill it to let you know when it is full. This must mean that in some circumstances the TPMS broadcast pressures even when the car is not moving. Any chance this can be used to tell which tire is which?
No, the problem is the car only knows the position based on the last registration which typically would be when the Leaf was built. If the tires have been moved around (and not registered) the Leaf knows nothing about their real location.

But if you let air out you can see in the app which tire the Leaf thinks is low (need to use 026m3 or higher for this). From that you could tell if that tire is in a different positon from where the Leaf thinks it is.

Turbo3 said:
Please type to keep the discussion here to the TPMS and whether I should add a TPMS registration function to the app.
I'm all for adding it to the app.
And I've no problem with making it non-trivial to get to, so that people won't accidentally use it.

If you're still worried about adding non-reading functionality to the app, then would you be willing to create a second "Leaf Tire Registration" app?

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
I'm all for adding it to the app.
And I've no problem with making it non-trivial to get to, so that people won't accidentally use it.

If you're still worried about adding non-reading functionality to the app, then would you be willing to create a second "Leaf Tire Registration" app?

That's a good idea.

Are you able to read the Error / Fault Codes, if any, that the car has "set"?

Some warnings / Codes go away when you restart the car, but others
prohibit restarting the car. Some go away if you re-boot the car
(remove the 12v for a little while, and re-connect). Some allow
you to start and drive, but do not allow you to charge, L1, L2, or QC.
These are particularly annoying when you do not have enough
"fuel" to drive to a dealer.

It would be great to be able to read, just on demand, any Codes.

Resetting Codes could come later, I suspect, after we learn more
about the meanings of the Codes.

Does the Battery App use any passive listening to CAN messages,
or is it all Request-and-Response?

Great work, everybody contributing to new "discoveries", and
helping with the programming,testing, and debugging.

Is it possible to retrieve the firmware versions of the ECUs? I know some Leaf users who are suspecting that the last update to the BCM and OBC was not done correcly.

garygid said:
Are you able to read the Error / Fault Codes, if any, that the car has "set"?

Some warnings / Codes go away when you restart the car, but others
prohibit restarting the car. Some go away if you re-boot the car
(remove the 12v for a little while, and re-connect). Some allow
you to start and drive, but do not allow you to charge, L1, L2, or QC.
These are particularly annoying when you do not have enough
"fuel" to drive to a dealer.

It would be great to be able to read, just on demand, any Codes.

Resetting Codes could come later, I suspect, after we learn more
about the meanings of the Codes.
Anything is possible. I will look into it after I get the tire registration working in the app. Probably letting air out of the tires generates one but I did not look at the time. Basically I would need one I can generate and clear to test things out.

garygid said:
Does the Battery App use any passive listening to CAN messages,
or is it all Request-and-Response?

Great work, everybody contributing to new "discoveries", and
helping with the programming,testing, and debugging.
In the past the app has used both but right now it only uses R&R.

vegastar said:
Is it possible to retrieve the firmware versions of the ECUs? I know some Leaf users who are suspecting that the last update to the BCM and OBC was not done correcly.
I could have the app list the ECU id number if that helps. Mine pre update are BCM 284B2-3NA0B and ECU 296A0-3NA0A. But I don't know if that number includes firmware version level.

Absolutely add the Tire registration. Just make sure it can't be activated accidentally. Definitely include an "Are you sure" prompt. It would be nice to be able to change the auto lock and unlock settings that only the dealer can do right now.

Back