Updated information from ECOtality San Diego 5/26/2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With over a year of hindsight on these goals, the LEAF sales slump is not surprising to me.
GroundLoop said:
Andy Hoskinson, San Diego Area Manager for ECOtality, was in Encinitas tonight on the panel at the E-Mobility event.

Not surprisingly, the audience had several questions about ECOtality and their failure to deliver on the public charging infrastructure that was promised in October.

I took some quick notes, as Andy did provide some new information that I haven't seen posted. Maybe some of the other attendees could correct or add to this.

• June 15 or June 16 will be ECOtalities "hard launch"(?) of public chargers, with an L2 installation at Balboa Park.
  • done

[*]There are indeed only three existing L2 chargers, at one location (Lodge at Torrey Pines)
    [*]They have approx 300 "contracts" in place now.
    [*]"50 public L2 chargers by the end of June"
    [*]"100 L2 chargers by July"
    [*]Installations at an increasing pace in July/August.
    [*]300 chargers by end of August
    [*]Still sticking with the 1,450 public L2 commitment by end of 2011
    Remarkable growth, but still far short near the end of 2012 with only 212 in the San Diego region.

[*]First DC Quick charging installations in "late August/September".
    [*]Not sure about the location of the first DC Quick charge location, but it will be at an ARCO in Escondido, Chula Vista, El Cajon, Santee, or San Diego.
    Ecotality's Long-Range EV Charging Infrastructure Plan for Greater San Diego dated 10/29/2010 forecast 63 QC stations in the region by the end of 2012. Actual count: still ZERO

[*]The DC chargers are going through UL approval now, but have not yet been certified.
    [*]ECOtality financials look bad now because DOE reimbursement can take up to a year after costs.
    UL certification done. ECOtality financials still look bad.

[*]Andy now drives a LEAF, so he's acutely aware of how limiting it is to have only trickle charging available.
This is still the most hopeful sign of all.

Back