Unpluging the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
Does it have a sticker on it that identifies it as a plug-in?.. I could see enterprising people with fake stickers and AC cords getting a primo parking spot for free.. heck you could even have a small fridge keeping your beer cold.. that would come in handy!

Yes, it is quite well identified:

prius-atom-photo by adric22, on Flickr

Also the fact that a power cord would be connected to it might be a good indication even if it didn't have the graphics.

I don't think many folks would argue that the Volt has a right to charge up. IMO any vehicle with an approved J1772 input should be allowed to use the EV space to charge up. The issue for me is that an EV spot is not long term parking. For example, I dont fuel up my ICE prius, and then leave it at the gas pump while I go see a movie or something, just because it's a nice shady parking spot. I can only imagine the flak you would take for that from outraged ICE drivers, and at the least you would be towed. Just my $0.02

The leaf should have a little lock on the door that once you plug in the car can be locked to prevent random passers by from unplugging the cord from the car or tampering with your plug.

Also..

The public charging stations should have a door that works like newspaper vendor machines that locks the complete cord in a lock box like container with a clear lexan/plexiglass type window on the door that allows you to see if someone cut the cord or stole the cord before you swipe your card to open it. This is going to happen soon once the chargers become more common and the vandals & poor recyclers realize how much copper is in the cords and start cutting them to sell the copper. Not to mention jealous gas station owners. =P The newspaper vendor machine style doors that only open once you swipe your credit card or some time of authentication method to have access to the cords and plugs then only closes the transaction only once the door is closed to help keep people respectful of the cords. (cord safe in the box). =)

Please repost this on other Nissan & electirc car forums and advise charger companys of the coming problems and solutions stated above.

signed,
RikiTiki (Nissan Leaf fan! I cant wait to buy my Leaf.)

RikiTiki said:
The leaf should have a little lock on the door that once you plug in the car can be locked to prevent random passers by from unplugging the cord from the car or tampering with your plug.
Hi RikiTiki,

There is a hole on the level 1 EVSE cable included with the Leaf to allow locking the cable to your vehicle. I've been using a small combination lock to secure it and seems to be working extremely well.

RikiTiki said:
The public charging stations should have a door that works like newspaper vendor machines that locks the complete cord in a lock box like container with a clear lexan/plexiglass type window on the door that allows you to see if someone cut the cord or stole the cord before you swipe your card to open it. This is going to happen soon once the chargers become more common and the vandals & poor recyclers realize how much copper is in the cords and start cutting them to sell the copper. Not to mention jealous gas station owners. =P The newspaper vendor machine style doors that only open once you swipe your credit card or some time of authentication method to have access to the cords and plugs then only closes the transaction only once the door is closed to help keep people respectful of the cords. (cord safe in the box). =)
If you look at the Coulomb charging stations, the J1772 cable is exterior to the unit, however you can plug a cable into the 120 volt socket and the door does lock onto the cable to prevent it's removal. Shorepower also has J1772 charging stations and the cable is still exterior to the unit so you can still check before swiping your car to charge.

Here's the cover of which you speak:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2729

Nate

RikiTiki said:
The leaf should have a little lock on the door that once you plug in the car can be locked to prevent random passers by from unplugging the cord from the car or tampering with your plug. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
wow - so (as the product above shows), once you installl the charge cable lock, there's no chance in hell that a fully charged Volt can be unplugged. ok then, that pretty much seals YOUR fate ... you have just been hosed, by a car that can still drive off ... charged or not.
:lol:
but wait folks ... this just keeps getting better and better. Here's a Volt that's not only ICE'ing an EV car only parking spot ... if you note, this oportunistic Volt driver has mod'ed a paddle charger to J1772 arrangement ... so (s)he can even ICE the poor slobs driving RAV4-ev's.

IceingVolt.jpg

How's that for commiseration ... Leafs and paddle charger EV'rs in the same boat. I'd hoped my imagination was over active ... that this kind of stuff would be more isolated. Apparently not.
:roll:

hill said:
How's that for commiseration ... Leafs and paddle charger EV'rs in the same boat. I'd hoped my imagination was over active ... that this kind of stuff would be more isolated. Apparently not.
:roll:

I would sincerely hope that guy would come back and unplug the instant his car was done charging. Because on the one hand I can see him not wanting to have his gear pinched, but on the other I'd be mightily pissed if several hours/days(!) went by after his charging was done before he relinquished control of the dock. :?

Just to be technically correct ... that Volt is not hogging a "paddle charger" for a RAV4EV, but an Avcon for a FordRanger. Both the Avcon (old J1772) and the new J1772 are CONDUCTIVE charging technology.

I agree the Volt driver should take responsibility to relinquish as soon as he/she is "full".

I do not understand the hostility towards the Volt in this group. I heavily considered a Volt for a while. But in the end, I went for the Leaf. Still, if I owned a Volt, I would attempt to drive it as an EV as much as absolutely possible. I would only use the I.C.E. as a last resort. I do not understand why people would have a problem with a Volt using a public charging station. In fact, you can THANK the volt for that. I'm sure if the Leaf were the only vehicle on the roads with a J1772 connector, the companies installing these charge stations would be much more hesitant to invest the money in them. But because the Volt exists, along with the upcoming PHV Prius which also uses the J1772, these companies have more incentive to install them. So next time you get mad at a Volt using a charging station, just remember that without the Volt that station may or may not exist.

adric22 said:
I do not understand the hostility towards the Volt in this group. I heavily considered a Volt for a while. But in the end, I went for the Leaf. Still, if I owned a Volt, I would attempt to drive it as an EV as much as absolutely possible. I would only use the I.C.E. as a last resort. I do not understand why people would have a problem with a Volt using a public charging station. In fact, you can THANK the volt for that. I'm sure if the Leaf were the only vehicle on the roads with a J1772 connector, the companies installing these charge stations would be much more hesitant to invest the money in them. But because the Volt exists, along with the upcoming PHV Prius which also uses the J1772, these companies have more incentive to install them. So next time you get mad at a Volt using a charging station, just remember that without the Volt that station may or may not exist.

My sentiments exactly. :)

adric22 said:
I do not understand the hostility towards the Volt in this group.

If you're including my comment, I would hope the same would hold true for a LEAF owner in the same situation - that they would return to the vehicle and unhook from the dock as soon as charging completed. We don't ANY EV owner bogarting charging stations for any longer than needed.

This is another reason to get more low cost dumbell EVSEs that run on less power or can share a single feed and split the power to more vehicles.
With a longer cord and more cords the whole reserved parking should just go away.

adric22 said:
I do not understand the hostility towards the Volt in this group. I heavily considered a Volt for a while. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
perhaps I can explain - it's not hostility toward the Volt per se, rather the hostility is towards GM ... if you want to call it hostility. I'd call it exhaspiration. Why? You only have to look what's going on.

GM builts the Volt so an ALARM goes of if you unplug it ... regardless if it's been done charging for a week.

GM works towards EV parking legislation that favors (at least in CA) ticketing EV's that might be parked NEXT to a Volt - in hopes the Volt'er would plug you in at an airport ... even though the Volt could get home from the airport on gas.

GM folks are working in conjunction with the SAE to foil Chademo quick charging ... even though they couldn't even give a rip about charge plugs ... because as far as I can tell, they're not even WORKING on introducing an EV, even in limited production . . . . yet they want to have a say-so, in a plug design?

Just little things like that.

Not to mention that they built some really crappy small cars. When those didn't
sell because other manufactures' cars were better, GM went back to making Suburbans, Tahoes,
and pickup trucks. Then they said that people don't want small cars, and continued to lobby against
higher fleet mileage requirements.

Unethical to say the least.

hill said:
adric22 said:
I do not understand the hostility towards the Volt in this group. I heavily considered a Volt for a while. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
perhaps I can explain - it's not hostility toward the Volt per se, rather the hostility is towards GM ... if you want to call it hostility. I'd call it exhaspiration. Why? You only have to look what's going on.

GM builts the Volt so an ALARM goes of if you unplug it ... regardless if it's been done charging for a week.

GM works towards EV parking legislation that favors (at least in CA) ticketing EV's that might be parked NEXT to a Volt - in hopes the Volt'er would plug you in at an airport ... even though the Volt could get home from the airport on gas.

GM folks are working in conjunction with the SAE to foil Chademo quick charging ... even though they souldn't even give a rip about charge plugs ... because as far as I can tell, they're not even WORKING on introducing an EV, even in limited production . . . . yet they want to have a say-so, in a plug design?

Just little things like that.

adric22 said:
How about the new PHEV Prius with J1772? It's not hard to imagine that not long after they hit the street in March 2012, they will far outnumber Volts.. Many of these drivers with 12 miles of range will be soaking up as much juice as they can using those convenient free public chargers. If I really NEEDED a charge (which, granted, is unlikely) I wouldn't hesitate to unplug a PHEV if that were required for me to charge.

At my office we have four chargers. Two L1s in a garage, two L2s outside.

We have one Volt owner who likes to park at an L2 in the early morning, link in, then leave her car there all day long. Meanwhile there are 5 Leafs in total at the site. Two camp out on the L1s down below, leaving only the single L2 for the rest of us.

I drive between three work sites once or twice a day, using anywhere from 25-60mi a day. Getting an L2 charge in the afternoon to get me home is a good thing. It's rare I can get a charger, though, while the volt sits there sippin' zero on the meter all day.

I put a card on the windshield and got an email back from the person. The reason they don't move their car? "Finding a parking space here in the afternoons is nuts." So if she gets to the EV spot early in the morning, hey, free rockstar front-door parking for her! Even though she lives like 5 miles away from the office...

If you want to know why there's some anti-Volt hate, there you go. When the EV side is treated like a 'free parking' pass at the expense of the ones who actually need L2 it generates animosity.

Of course the better solution to this is to provide a larger number of L2s *and* L1s and educate the Volt (and upcoming Prius PHEV) drivers about using L1s if they're simply going to sit there linked in all day. Hopefully my company will take that route and greatly increase the number of chargers on site... *and* start charging for them. All of us Leaf (and Tesla!) drivers here would be glad to pay our share... and maybe $1/hr pricing would deter the sit-there-for-10-hours Volt folks. They'd have to pay for their rockstar parking.

Tugrik said:
I put a card on the windshield and got an email back from the person. The reason they don't move their car? "Finding a parking space here in the afternoons is nuts." So if she gets to the EV spot early in the morning, hey, free rockstar front-door parking for her! Even though she lives like 5 miles away from the office...
That is really bad manners to abuse the charging space like that. Perhaps rules should be set at the company that don't allow that kind of abuse. Is that a possibility?

Tugrik said:
... I put a card on the windshield and got an email back from the person. The reason they don't move their car? "Finding a parking space here in the afternoons is nuts." So if she gets to the EV spot early in the morning, hey, free rockstar front-door parking for her! Even though she lives like 5 miles away from the office...

If you want to know why there's some anti-Volt hate, there you go. When the EV side is treated like a 'free parking' pass at the expense of the ones who actually need L2 it generates animosity. ...
No sense blaming the Volt for their owner's idiocy. I'm sure if she owned a LEAF she'd drive her 5 miles to work, and do the exact same thing.

Back