Two week vacation - strategy for Leaf while away?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Anywhere close to 50% charged and just leave it sit. Don't plug-in.

+1

I have left mine at the office or airport numerous times with no issue. I left it from 11/26 to 12/15 and the 12V battery was fine. The traction battery was at 377.5 volts and 110 Gids when I parked; 378.0 volts and 109 Gids when I returned. SOC was 5 bars and DTE was 33 miles when I parked and the same when I returned.

Gerry

If you want to plug LEAF in to have it fully charged upon return... leave it low (2 bars?) and set the timer to charge to 80% for 20 minutes two or three days a week. You can then remotely charge to 100% a few hours before your return. Might need additional time if on L1.

Otherwise 50% and unplugged seems to be best.

smkettner said:
If you want to plug LEAF in to have it fully charged upon return... leave it low (2 bars?) and set the timer to charge to 80% for 20 minutes two or three days a week. You can then remotely charge to 100% a few hours before your return.
I think someone has said the cellular radio in the LEAF stops responding after a certain number of days without driving, but I cannot remember how many days. Does anyone recall if it is less than two weeks?

RegGuheert said:
smkettner said:
If you want to plug LEAF in to have it fully charged upon return... leave it low (2 bars?) and set the timer to charge to 80% for 20 minutes two or three days a week. You can then remotely charge to 100% a few hours before your return.
I think someone has said the cellular radio in the LEAF stops responding after a certain number of days without driving, but I cannot remember how many days. Does anyone recall if it is less than two weeks?
It's 14 days.

DoxyLover said:
mwalsh said:
Anywhere close to 50% charged and just leave it sit. Don't plug-in.
This is very important! DO NOT LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN! Doing so will leave you with a dead 12V battery!
why would this de-charge the 12v-----what does charge the 12v?

When the J1772 cord is plugged in, it seems to inhibit the traction battery from recharging the 12v battery in the car.

Since the 12v battery is small, and there is a bit of parasitic load in the car connected to it, it will go dead if it isn't recharged. Hence, the advice not to plug in the J1772 charge connector...

Randy said:
When the J1772 cord is plugged in, it seems to inhibit the traction battery from recharging the 12v battery in the car.

Since the 12v battery is small, and there is a bit of parasitic load in the car connected to it, it will go dead if it isn't recharged. Hence, the advice not to plug in the J1772 charge connector...

Also, the parasitic load increases when the car is plugged in, so it's a double-whammy.

Actually there is quite a bit of load on the 12v battery all the time. There are computers that can't be shut down because they have to monitor things, transceivers trying to communicate with the key fob, a cellular phone system trying to talk to Carwings. If you are not plugged in, one of those computers is checking the 12v battery periodically. If it is low, it cranks up the unit which converts traction battery high voltage to low voltage current that can be used to charge the 12v battery. If you are plugged in, it turns out that the check is only made while you are charging. If you leave the car plugged in for weeks at a time, it will only rarely charge the traction battery after the first day, and even then for only a few seconds or a few minutes at a time. That's not long enough to recharge the 12v battery.

And, no, you don't have to worry about that recharging process running down the traction battery. It is so much higher in capacity that you could let the car sit for many months before there would be any sizable loss in its charge level.

Ray

Just came back from two week vacation and it started right up no problems at all.

Left it unplugged in the driveway where the tiny solar panel could get some sun.

Was too lazy to disconnect the 12V, but did turn off all the reporting and updating functions that I could, both in the car and on my apps, to try and minimize unneeded Carwings usage.

No loss of pack charge that I could tell.

Wouldn't hesitate to leave it like that again.

Had to jump start the wife's Accord, but it's been sitting in the garage for like a month now. Probably should drive it a little more often.

I've left mine, unplugged, in the garage for two to three weeks a number of times, always with no problems... I never made any special attempts to turn off or disable anything.

Yep, left our LEAF at the airport parking (outside) in the sun for 2 weeks vacation. Didn't do anything special. Just made sure to turn off the car. At 9 bars, and got back with 9 bars, just enough to get home from the airport. During vacation, I used Carwings to check on battery status from time to time. No problems.

I recently went away for nine days and left my 2013 Leaf SL plugged in with no problems. It was even set to charge every night. It has been working fine all week. It was stored in my garage while we were gone. I will let you know if I find any problems with it.

If you can, charge the 12V battery separately and leave it (the main pack) at about 50% charge, as noted above. When I keep it in the garage during frigid weather next Winter (if we still have frigid weather by then), I'll leave it unplugged but with a battery maintainer on the 12 volt battery.

Back