Tuning the Battery Aging Model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, here is new data for new car
YOUR new car, Dave?

I find it interesting that the average cell voltage is shown as 4.110V. I have never seen our LEAF above 4.100V.
The 2013s tend to run a tad higher in terms of cell voltages.
newownermnl

surfingslovak said:
RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, here is new data for new car
YOUR new car, Dave?

I find it interesting that the average cell voltage is shown as 4.110V. I have never seen our LEAF above 4.100V.
The 2013s tend to run a tad higher in terms of cell voltages.
newownermnl

ya the big question is why and will it hurt my degradation in the long run. will be tracking the data from day one! (wish I could have done that before!)

DaveinOlyWA said:
ya the big question is why and will it hurt my degradation in the long run. will be tracking the data from day one! (wish I could have done that before!)
Good to hear! The owners I talk to locally claim that the 2013 pack seems a bit sturdier than in prior years. Hope they are right.

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Good to hear! The owners I talk to locally claim that the 2013 pack seems a bit sturdier than in prior years. Hope they are right.

that is what i am hoping. with an S, dont have energy consumption screen but cant help but notice that I can get all regen circles lit up and not too difficult to regen the full amount (or at least to the last circle)

will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get "down to" 100% ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
I did not have enough time to complete the charge but did make.it to 97.3% and 284 GIDs.

It appears 97.3% SOC is a complete charge on most MY13s. At least in my case, once the LEAF Battery app reports 97.3% no Gids are ever added.

The Nissan supplied meter on the dash stops at 98% for 2-4 hours with apparently nothing occurring except balancing. However, if you pull the plug before the LEAF reports charging complete, the dash meter will jump to 100%.

Berlino said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I did not have enough time to complete the charge but did make.it to 97.3% and 284 GIDs.

It appears 97.3% SOC is a complete charge on most MY13s. At least in my case, once the LEAF Battery app reports 97.3% no Gids are ever added.

The Nissan supplied meter on the dash stops at 98% for 2-4 hours with apparently nothing occurring except balancing. However, if you pull the plug before the LEAF reports charging complete, the dash meter will jump to 100%.

interesting. have to say i did not notice it. still 284 is a bit more than I have seen before.

The last couple of pages of posts don't appear to have anything to do with Tuning the Battery Aging Model... can we stay a bit more on topic?

MOD NOTE: Off-topic posts moved here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
The last couple of pages of posts don't appear to have anything to do with Tuning the Battery Aging Model... can we stay a bit more on topic?

ooops!! my fault. i was going to suggest the posts be moved after my response but got carried away with the response and forgot...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stoaty said:

ooops!! my fault. i was going to suggest the posts be moved after my response but got carried away with the response and forgot...

Sorry, my bad as well. Just hate to not answer a newbie question.

2nd follow up:
12/22/13
26,764 mi
Ah=54.19

opencar said:
Stoaty,
follow-up:
11/15/13
25,540 mi
Cap: 54.45

opencar said:
finally hit 6 wks from my update:

Manufactured - 3/11
Delivered - 6/3/11
P3227 update - 9/6/13
Location - San Diego, CA
Miles/kwh - ~4.2
Odometer - 24,440mi
Capacity - 54.79
Date - 10/18/13
Parked in sun - 5 days/week

Garage - Unventilated & uninsulated
Capacity bars indicated - 11
DC Charge Count - 17
AC Charge Count - 1613

I feel sad - just lost my first bar today.

Odo - 30,630
Manufactured - 06/11, Delivered - 10/15/11
P3227 update - 6/13
Location - Fremont, CA.
Miles/kwh - 4.1
Parked in garage 7 days/week. Only 2 quick charges, mostly L2. Charge 100% on weekdays, 80% on weekend. But last few weeks, have been charging 100% 7 days/week.
AHr - 55.52 (83.79%) Health - 70.16%
100% - 225 gids
90.6% SOC

I am hoping I can get a new battery before the 5 year/60000 miles - crossing my finger. Disappointed because I believed the 5 year/80% and 10 year/70% hype when I bought the car. Love the Leaf but may not buy another Nissan again due to their marketing BS.

I went back and reread the first post, but I didn’t see if periodic updates are wanted. So here’s one anyway :)

Mar 2011 --Date of Manufacture (month and year)
June 27, 2011 --Date of Delivery (month, day and year)
July 6,2013 --Date of P3227 update, if needed (should be at least 3 weeks prior to reading data)
Seattle WA --Geographic location - be specific, must include city and state, otherwise data of no use (also include work location city and state and days Leaf spends at work if climate significantly different than home)
3.9 mpk --Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf (your best guestimate OK)
56,849 --Current odometer reading (i.e. total miles your Leaf has been driven)
54.40 --Current AH capacity reading from LeafDD or Leaf Battery App
Dec 27, 2013--Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity
4.5Days per week parked in the sun (fractional days OK)

FairwoodRed said:
I went back and reread the first post, but I didn’t see if periodic updates are wanted. So here’s one anyway :)
Periodic updates every 3-6 months will be helpful, particularly from those whose Leafs are in the main section of the Calibration Tab. I may not do anything more with the new data, but if we don't collect it I won't be able to do anything more. :D

Update (first response was approx September 20):

Manufactured - 03/11
Delivered - 5/18/11
Date of P3227 update - 7/11/13
Location – Snohomish, WA (generally 5 degrees cooler than Seattle)
Miles/kwh – 3.6 (reset December 1 due to 12V battery going dead while on extended vacation)
Odometer – 46,220
Capacity – 55.65
Date - 12/27/13
Parked in sun - maybe 1 day/week, but garaged in a west-facing garage

Extra info: QC count, 61; L1/L2 count, 1985.

Here's my update, these are readings from 12-19-2013, exactly 3 months since the last entry:

--Date of Manufacture 8/11
--Date of Service 6/26/12
--Date of P3227 update 7/2/13
--Geographic location - McKinney, TX 75071 (Dallas)
--Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf 4.6/kWh
--Current odometer reading 8906
--Current AH capacity reading from LeafDD or Leaf Battery App 54.21
--Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity 12/19/13
--Days per week parked in the sun (fractional days OK) The first 8 months it was parked out in the sun all day, every day; 0 since I purchased the car, so it averages out to 2 per week

DaveinOlyWA said:
are you collecting 2013 data or do you want some mileage on them first? (up over 200!)
With the big variance on 2013 Ah as reported on MNL, I am not sure it is worth collecting data on that model. Either the quality control is horrible, or something else has changed such that the Capacity number does not appear to be a good indicator of available range.

Update:

Date of Manufacture: 1/11
Date of Delivery: 3/1/11
Date of P3227 update: 6/3/13
Geographic location: Garage and weekends: Granada Hills, CA 91344; Work (Mon-Fri 8am-5p) Santa Monica, CA
Average miles/kwh for the life of your Leaf: 4.4
Current odometer reading: 41,980
Current AH capacity reading from LeafDD or Leaf Battery App: 50.83
Exact date you took current odometer reading and current AH capacity: 12/27/13
Days per week parked in the sun (fractional days OK): 5 days for 8 hours each day (see work above)

Back