TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 Million People Will Drive Teslas By The End Of 2022
The counter recently reached 2.3 million and increases by 0.1 million per month (Q4 average).
https://insideevs.com/news/558272/4-million-teslas-2022-forecast/

New York Times: Why Tesla Soared as Other Automakers Struggled to Make Cars

The yawning disparity between the performance of the electric car company and established automakers last year reflects the technological change roiling the industry.

For much of last year, established automakers like General Motors and Ford Motor operated in a different reality from Tesla, the electric car company.

G.M. and Ford closed one factory after another — sometimes for months on end — because of a shortage of computer chips, leaving dealer lots bare and sending car prices zooming. Yet Tesla racked up record sales quarter after quarter and ended the year having sold nearly twice as many vehicles as it did in 2020 unhindered by an industrywide crisis.

johnlocke said:
Losing market share is almost inevitable. Doesn't mean that the company doesn't continue to grow. 70% of a billion dollar pie is still better than 100% of a hundred million dollar pie. In any market that's newly created, the creators start with the majority of the market then others join in as the market expands. Sometimes those early leaders fall to the wayside as others innovate. Other times the early leaders never falter and their competitors remain also rans. Tesla will open two new factories this year and effectively double their output. They are still likely going to be production constrained for the next couple of years. My guess is that Elon will open a factory in India next and one in England as well. VW will compete in Europe, GM and Ford in the US, and host of companies in Asia. Tesla will still sell all the cars they can produce even as they lose market share.

Losing market share is to be expected for sure, but the stock is way, way overvalued. I said it elsewhere, but Tesla either needs to keep having a tech edge, fix build quality, and probably expand it's physical presence of stores in order to keep a lead - otherwise i think it'll look a lot like AMC did overtime.

As Tesla sits now - the stock is massively overvalued and there's nothing pointing towards a huge competitive edge in the future.

1. Full Self Driving without a change to include LIDAR isn't going to happen. It's a $3k SAE L2 automation package and $7-9k of vaporware. So far Mercedes is the only manufacturer to crack SAE3 automation. Tesla is going to have a lot of people asking questions about the cash they dropped when other OEMs start offering the real deal in the US.

2. Tesla has been offering pretty much the same vehicles for awhile now and new models like Cybertruck are to date - vaporware. For me it's a tough sell to believe that Cybertruck is going to be a standout hit if it's last to the market offering little that other trucks aren't. Tesla's offerings are going to get stagnant over the next 5 years as other companies introduce variety.

I don't doubt they'll sell everything they can make through 2025, but past that as everyone else ramps up production what makes a Tesla more compelling than another vehicle at that point?

Keep in mind, this is a company that almost went bankrupt multiple times in a boom market selling every vehicle it made then too and relied on capital infusion from grandiose and unfulfilled claims like having one million robo-taxis on the road and the latest laughable SAE Level 4 to come out this year.

gcrouse said:
johnlocke said:
Losing market share is almost inevitable. Doesn't mean that the company doesn't continue to grow. 70% of a billion dollar pie is still better than 100% of a hundred million dollar pie. In any market that's newly created, the creators start with the majority of the market then others join in as the market expands. Sometimes those early leaders fall to the wayside as others innovate. Other times the early leaders never falter and their competitors remain also rans. Tesla will open two new factories this year and effectively double their output. They are still likely going to be production constrained for the next couple of years. My guess is that Elon will open a factory in India next and one in England as well. VW will compete in Europe, GM and Ford in the US, and host of companies in Asia. Tesla will still sell all the cars they can produce even as they lose market share.

Losing market share is to be expected for sure, but the stock is way, way overvalued. I said it elsewhere, but Tesla either needs to keep having a tech edge, fix build quality, and probably expand it's physical presence of stores in order to keep a lead - otherwise i think it'll look a lot like AMC did overtime.

As Tesla sits now - the stock is massively overvalued and there's nothing pointing towards a huge competitive edge in the future.

1. Full Self Driving without a change to include LIDAR isn't going to happen. It's a $3k SAE L2 automation package and $7-9k of vaporware. So far Mercedes is the only manufacturer to crack SAE3 automation. Tesla is going to have a lot of people asking questions about the cash they dropped when other OEMs start offering the real deal in the US.

2. Tesla has been offering pretty much the same vehicles for awhile now and new models like Cybertruck are to date - vaporware. For me it's a tough sell to believe that Cybertruck is going to be a standout hit if it's last to the market offering little that other trucks aren't. Tesla's offerings are going to get stagnant over the next 5 years as other companies introduce variety.

I don't doubt they'll sell everything they can make through 2025, but past that as everyone else ramps up production what makes a Tesla more compelling than another vehicle at that point?

Keep in mind, this is a company that almost went bankrupt multiple times in a boom market selling every vehicle it made then too and relied on capital infusion from grandiose and unfulfilled claims like having one million robo-taxis on the road and the latest laughable SAE Level 4 to come out this year.
Tesla's tech edge is it's vertical integration and battery tech. Secondary is the giga-factory concept and build speed for it's construction. Nobody else builds a factory in one year's time. Don't know why you think Tesla needs Lidar since they still have the most advanced self-drive on the market and installed in the most vehicles. If and when somebody comes up with a more advanced system, installs it in a production vehicle, and releases it for use then we can talk abut it again.

Don't know why you think Tesla needs Lidar since they still have the most advanced self-drive on the market and installed in the most vehicles. If and when somebody comes up with a more advanced system, installs it in a production vehicle, and releases it for use then we can talk abut it again.

It's my understanding that both GM and...Volvo? have better systems now. You may be confused by the fact that they don't call them something that they are not, like "Autopilot" or "Full Self-Driving." ;)

johnlocke said:
gcrouse said:
johnlocke said:

Tesla's tech edge is it's vertical integration and battery tech. Secondary is the giga-factory concept and build speed for it's construction. Nobody else builds a factory in one year's time. Don't know why you think Tesla needs Lidar since they still have the most advanced self-drive on the market and installed in the most vehicles. If and when somebody comes up with a more advanced system, installs it in a production vehicle, and releases it for use then we can talk abut it again.

Tesla is ranked dead last in the autonomous driving sector by Guidehouse Insights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/vzach/status/1391655560999800833

There's a common feature on those leading company's systems - LIDAR. Pretty sure those systems aren't confusing the moon for traffic lights yet. I already mentioned it - Mercedes-Benz has been the first to hit SAE3 Level 3 Automation in Germany. (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp38475565/mercedes-drive-pilot-autonomous-germany/)

That is objectively better than Tesla's SAE Level 2 system. Calling something "Full Self Driving" does not make it an SAE Level 5 Autonomous Driving system.

TuSimple, for example is a company doing actual autonomous vehicle testing - (https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2021/12/29/tusimple-completes-its-first-driverless-autonomous-truck-run-on-public-roads/amp/)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by vertical integration with Tesla since they - like most of the automotive industry have hundreds of suppliers. (https://csimarket.com/stocks/suppliers_glance.php?code=TSLA). My idea of a world class vertically integrated company is more along the lines of Almarai based out of Saudi Arabia. (different industry altogether).

Sure, Tesla has the lead in battery tech and drivetrain efficiency overall still - there's no doubt about it - but today's lead does not guarantee tomorrow's edge. As of today, nobody can tell precisely whose future battery tech will be the best.

What precisely about the Gigafactory/which Gigafactory is a game changer?

Above all else - Tesla has to fix their spotty build quality. It's pretty well known and as competition builds - build quality will matter, especially with an aging product line with no real new innovations.

The Model S has very real competition with the launch of the Lucid Air - notably boasting over 500 miles of range with some models.

Model X/Y face serious competition from Mach-E, EV6, Ioniq 5, ID.4, XC40, e-Tron, etc.

It's even notable that the Bolt as dowdy as it was managed to have GM hit their 200,000 vehicle mark a couple quarters after Tesla, and the Model 3 is actually impressive to look at and from a specs perspective. Obviously the Bolt is pretty tarnished now - but the Bolt shows range and price point combo from well known brands can and will compete - especially considering less than 5% of people buy cars fully online currently.

Of their current product line - when they don't come with build defects and less the hype over the FSD vaporware, their still among the best EVs on the market, but for how long?

Keep in mind, Cybertruck was announced in 2019 and is to date, vaporware with maybe production starting late this year. Truck/SUV market is where the big cash is in the US market and Rivian and Ford have beat them to the punch with GM and Ram soon to follow.

Tesla's Semi, the next closest thing to a light launch is also late to the market. Freightliner has had the eCascadia out and Peterbilt had their own Class 8 electric truck out too (579EV).

IMO, Tesla's stock is way overvalued all things considered.

@WetEV, I'd half agree with you on the Supercharger network. My understanding is it's still a huge value added part - but as infrastructure build out happens, I don't know how much more of an edge that is, especially with increasing consolidation along the lines of the CCS QC Standard. I suppose it depends on how they use the asset, but then arguably Volkswagen had the same asset via EA.

Sure, Tesla has the lead in battery tech and drivetrain efficiency overall still - there's no doubt about it - but today's lead does not guarantee tomorrow's edge. As of today, nobody can tell precisely whose future battery tech will be the best.

It is amazing to me that Tesla continues to dominate in the efficiency factor- why are none of the newer entries (such as VW, Ariya, Volvo, Ford) able to get the same efficiencies? According to EPA, Tesla is still capable of driving considerably more miles per kWh and the real-world trials are bearing this out. Not necessarily a Tesla fan, but efficiency is one of the reasons we are here after all...

It is interesting. The previous Hyundai Ionic was good, but both Kia and Hyundai strayed away from an efficiency perspective with the 5 and ev6.

Lucid appears to have built a very efficient car, that also performs, but it's a few years from main stream. My friend that was supposed to get his this week, was just told delivery is being pushed an indeterminate number of weeks.

DougWantsALeaf said:
It is interesting. The previous Hyundai Ionic was good, but both Kia and Hyundai strayed away from an efficiency perspective with the 5 and ev6.

Lucid appears to have built a very efficient car, that also performs, but it's a few years from main stream. My friend that was supposed to get his this week, was just told delivery is being pushed an indeterminate number of weeks.

Yes but Lucid air cost how much? I'm not saying the RWD entry level I5 is "affordable" for most Americans, but the Lucid Air is a whole other level of unaffordable. Don't get me wrong, I have some Lucid stock. But I'm not sure those are on the same playing field.

dmacarthur said:

It is amazing to me that Tesla continues to dominate in the efficiency factor- why are none of the newer entries (such as VW, Ariya, Volvo, Ford) able to get the same efficiencies? According to EPA, Tesla is still capable of driving considerably more miles per kWh and the real-world trials are bearing this out. Not necessarily a Tesla fan, but efficiency is one of the reasons we are here after all...

I think once you account for how long Tesla was doing R&D and working with real world data exclusively with EV drivetrains at a higher price point and figuring out how to make it cheaper to duplicate it makes a lot of sense. Most of the other companies at the time were aiming for a production balance at a price point when Tesla wasn't - which accounts for a decent chunk of the money burning in earlier years for Tesla.

Another factor would likely be drag coefficient. Tesla X/Y are built more like crossovers/cars, while XC40, Ariya, ID.4 are built more like SUVs with presumably the off road capability to match.

To an extent, i think we have to divorce our early adopter obsession with efficiency numbers from the broader public who isn't going to care as much if it's 110 mpge or 87 mpge as long as they get the range they want with the benefit of not paying gas prices for the vehicle type. I won't say it's a completely moot comparison but the difference between that and say 25-35mpg for a comparable vehicle almost becomes negligible comparing electric and gas as fuels.

To an extent, i think we have to divorce our early adopter obsession with efficiency numbers from the broader public who isn't going to care as much if it's 110 mpge or 87 mpge as long as they get the range they want with the benefit of not paying gas prices for the vehicle type.

This. Volvo et al aren't selling based on test numbers, but on desired attributes.

LeftieBiker said:
To an extent, i think we have to divorce our early adopter obsession with efficiency numbers from the broader public who isn't going to care as much if it's 110 mpge or 87 mpge as long as they get the range they want with the benefit of not paying gas prices for the vehicle type.

This. Volvo et al aren't selling based on test numbers, but on desired attributes.

The entry level Ford Lightning (I think) has a estimated mpge of 85, which sounds lousy compared to tesla, but would be a dream compared to a traditional f150 that gets upper teens to low twenties of actual mpg.

gcrouse said:
To an extent, i think we have to divorce our early adopter obsession with efficiency numbers from the broader public who isn't going to care as much if it's 110 mpge or 87 mpge as long as they get the range they want
I have never cared about MPGe, and I don't know what it is for any of the vehicles I bought or the ones I recently shopped for. Real world range is what counts, and MPGe doesn't tell me that.

Hey, I just looked it up. My LEAF has an MPGe of 115, and my Model S has one of 103. That truly is a totally worthless number.

dmacarthur said:

Tesla started with a blank slate and the goal of making EVs, and were unburdened by the baggage-heavy prospect of adapting existing automotive design, facilities and executive thinking, to battery power. And they didn't settle for half-ass design compromises. They appear to have hit every EV ecosystem design consideration with full intent. From Supercharging, to aero to weight, battery design, lightweight castings, to development of an entirely new Aluminum alloy to enable complete body castings of unheard-of size, etc... Sandy Munro's teardown of Model Y was quite interesting. There are about 40 YT videos in the series; here is the summary

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrrdqje9Og[/youtube]

^^ Agreed. Also let's add to this list their leadership in the direct to consumer sales approach for the auto industry. IMHO that is one big whopper for all of us and I hope more companies will follow them on this. The dealership model is dead and we should move on.

OldManCan said:
^^ Agreed. Also let's add to this list their leadership in the direct to consumer sales approach for the auto industry. IMHO that is one big whopper for all of us and I hope more companies will follow them on this. The dealership model is dead and we should move on.
The counterargument to that is the problem of service. If you live and drive a Tesla only in a big city with a Tesla Service Center (or several) fine. However there are large swathes of the country where Service Centers are a long way away (I am 300 miles, and a whole lot of mountains, away from the nearest SC). Mobile Service helps for the little stuff but anything needing a lift requires getting to a Service Center that may be hundreds of miles away and if the car isn't driveable that means an expensive flatbed tow, unless under warranty. You can't take a Tesla down the street to a local auto mechanic; I will guess that will be much the same for other EV brands as well, at least for some years until they dominate the market.

In my view, this is an advantage of the the established car companies since they have dealers all over. Assuming that they can get them onboard with selling and servicing EVs, which is not the case in some places, so far.

Whenever people tout the new Lucid car I wonder where they are going to buy it and where they will take it when something breaks? It took Tesla many years to get to the current number of stores and service nodes and it still is pretty sparse in much of the country. What good is a decent DCFC network if your car breaks down five hundred or a thousand miles from the nearest Lucid Service Center? Lucid has a long way to go before it has the country covered with stores and service centers but nobody ever talks about that. I don't get it. Buying a Lucid car in this early stage is really rolling the dice unless you don't plan on ever venturing far from where the car can be fixed.

I agree with the above. The problem isn't the idea of having dealerships for a brand. The problem is the horrible model used in the United States, with the dealers being independent entities who have only a working relationship with the car companies. This results in the usual spread of service and sales quality, from Excellent to Criminal. Car dealers need to be subsidiaries of their manufacturers, with full liability for their actions being held by those manufacturers. As it is, both the dealers and the manufacturers get to shrug and point fingers in each others' direction, each claiming that the other is to blame for a given problem.

dgpcolorado said:
The counterargument to that is the problem of service. If you live and drive a Tesla only in a big city with a Tesla Service Center (or several) fine. However there are large swathes of the country where Service Centers are a long way away (I am 300 miles, and a whole lot of mountains, away from the nearest SC). Mobile Service helps for the little stuff but anything needing a lift requires getting to a Service Center that may be hundreds of miles away and if the car isn't driveable that means an expensive flatbed tow, unless under warranty. You can't take a Tesla down the street to a local auto mechanic; I will guess that will be much the same for other EV brands as well, at least for some years until they dominate the market.

In my view, this is an advantage of the the established car companies since they have dealers all over. Assuming that they can get them onboard with selling and servicing EVs, which is not the case in some places, so far.

Whenever people tout the new Lucid car I wonder where they are going to buy it and where they will take it when something breaks? It took Tesla many years to get to the current number of stores and service nodes and it still is pretty sparse in much of the country. What good is a decent DCFC network if your car breaks down five hundred or a thousand miles from the nearest Lucid Service Center? Lucid has a long way to go before it has the country covered with stores and service centers but nobody ever talks about that. I don't get it. Buying a Lucid car in this early stage is really rolling the dice unless you don't plan on ever venturing far from where the car can be fixed.

Agree. I can't see ever buying an expensive item like a car without some reasonable measure of local support. Tesla does OK where we live, but there are many other EVs sold primarily in compliance states that might have been interesting at the time we purchased our Leaf+, but for the lack of local support.

Heck, I've even had trouble finding Audi diesel rated oil in the mountains west of us. In Aspen, Colorado no less. Eventually I found a service shop that stocked it, but no auto parts store did (Car decided to flag it was low on oil while we were on a camping trip. Not fond of towing when low on oil... Now if the damn thing had a oil dipstick, I'd have discovered that sooner, but such is life. First world problems...)

Back