Trim

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Has anyone seen, perhaps at the tour, or otherwise know what the interior trim is like on the leaf? It's hard to tell from the pictures... are the seats fabric or simulated leather? And what about the use of hard plastic vs upholstered door panels?

I was surprised to see the Leaf SV and SL don't seem to differentiate on this. On the Versa for example the "SL" has a nicer interior and alloy wheels while the "SV" is more spartan and has steel wheels and plastic wheel covers.

The seats, as is most of the interior, are made of all recycled material. The inside is all the 3-tone white and gray with black/darker flooring... They are all going to be the same with no options for color choices as of now and it looks like it may stay that way to keep costs down. I think that's great and like the inside lots...

I think the interior in production vehicle will be different from the "auto show interior" we saw during the road trip. When we get to the drive test in the coming months, we should see a vehicle lot closer to what we can actually buy.

evnow said:
I think the interior in production vehicle will be different from the "auto show interior" we saw during the road trip. When we get to the drive test in the coming months, we should see a vehicle lot closer to what we can actually buy.

So no idea if it will be fabric or simulated leather? I guess if you wanted leather you could go aftermarket. Although everyone knows the cow farts emit more greenhouse gas than an SUV.

mwalsh said:
I always try to have leather in my cars, even pedestrian ones like my Focus. This one, I guess I'll figure it out as I go.
I'm getting this car, but I'm expecting to be disappointed with the interior fabric. I have never figured it out but I'm very "shock" sensitive - I hate static electricity shocks and I seem to get them all the time. In my first car I had to get into a routine where I would push my leg against the metal as I got out so I wouldn't get shocks on my fingertips when I exited the car. My current car came with leather seats which when I ordered it I really didn't care about - the package that came with ABS also came with leather seats (yeah, I don't pretend to understand it either). However I quickly came to find out that I don't generate static electricity on the leather seats and so I don't have to do anything weird as I get out of the car. I "swore" to myself I would never go back to cloth seats. And yet, here I am preordering a Leaf - getting off of gas is more important than having to go back to a "discharge routine" (and no, the irony won't be lost on me about worrying about getting shocked in my electric car)

My guess is that if it drives me crazy enough, I'll look into aftermarket like LTLFTcomposite suggests. I don't know if I can convince myself to spend more money to rip out perfectly good seats, though... I'm a bit of a cheapskate.

I asked Kate about the interior trim during the tour. If memory serves, she said that the initial Leafs would all have the same interior color, but... it would be a shade of grey instead of the white shown in the tour model. If true, the color might not be as striking, but neither would it show dirt and grime as easily. I prefer that, myself.

I agree. The thought of a white interior makes me think of endless weekends with fabric cleaner......I was hoping they would be more practical.

mwalsh said:
I always try to have leather in my cars, even pedestrian ones like my Focus. This one, I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Don't even go there.

http://www.apteraforum.com/showthread.php?t=4151&page=13&highlight=leather

If Nissan's target segment is "greens" they shouldn't even think about leather.

evnow said:
Don't even go there.

http://www.apteraforum.com/showthread.php?t=4151&page=13&highlight=leather

If Nissan's target segment is "greens" they shouldn't even think about leather.

I didn't know that cows were being raised for leather, I thought the cows were raised for milk and meat, and the leather was just gravy.

How about alligator skin? The place is crawling with them here.

I work for an oil company.

I think I'll enjoy an endangered species burger for lunch.

I want leather, too.

I'm only joking about one of those. :lol:

Bicster said:
I work for an oil company.

I think I'll enjoy an endangered species burger for lunch.

I want leather, too.

I'm only joking about one of those. :lol:

And I thought you were serious about the leather seats.

LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:

So no idea if it will be fabric or simulated leather? I guess if you wanted leather you could go aftermarket. Although everyone knows the cow farts emit more greenhouse gas than an SUV.

As IndyLeaf said, the interior including the seats is made with recycled material and the seats are cloth. :)

leaffan said:
As IndyLeaf said, the interior including the seats is made with recycled material and the seats are cloth. :)

I'm not sure I want to know what the material is recycled from.

The door panels on my current car are made from recycled dinosaurs.

Sorry to meander a tad but speaking of seats I just found out today that the front passenger seats on the Prius have a built-in scale so that it can compute how much air pressure to use for charging the air bag. Fortunately it doesn't display on the dash, but if you have the right software and hardware you can get it out of the car's computer. This being Silicon Valley, of course the engineer/Prius owner telling us about it said he was working on a way to get it to display on the dash or at least on his laptop via wireless. When my wife heard that she swore she would never ride in that guy's car.

Back on topic. I have come to enjoy the really comfortable leather seats on both our cars, but I have never minded the fabric ones and static electricity has never bothered me much, so I agree that it's going to be recycled stuff for the foreseeable Leaf future.

Back