Tour of 5 DFW evGo DC quick charge stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was very impressed that evGo has a guy making the rounds EVERY day to make sure all the stations are operational. Sounded like a temporary thing they didn't have a DC quick charge test "suitcase". If you are going to charge for a service like this you should support it well and they seem to be doing so.

Yes, the car is a 3 year lease and I signed up for evGo for their 3 year plan. Will reevaluate electric car situation at that time (to upgrade stuff, no way I'm going back!)

Cheezmo said:
Yes, the car is a 3 year lease and I signed up for evGo for their 3 year plan. Will reevaluate electric car situation at that time (to upgrade stuff, no way I'm going back!)

Good, because I suspect that the car did shut down for battery temp (and not the truck driver unplugging you). I recommend continuing to abuse the heck out of that battery and be our pioneer for high battery temp data.

TonyWilliams said:
Good, because I suspect that the car did shut down for battery temp (and not the truck driver unplugging you). I recommend continuing to abuse the heck out of that battery and be our pioneer for high battery temp data.

Ha, I am not planning to continually abuse it. What confuses me is why that charge shut down at 91% and yet it continued to 98% (where I shut it off) at the next station when the battery was hotter. Doesn't make sense to me.

In any event. I won't intentionally abuse it, I'm charging to 80% at home, but I'm not going to worry much about it and will charge to 100% whenever I feel like I might need it the next day or QC whenever I drive by the station and have time (since I'm paying monthly, should use it when I can to save home charging). With the lease, I'm not going to fret over abusing the battery much. That being said if we keep driving it like we are the 12K miles/year may become a problem....

Cheezmo said:
What confuses me is why that charge shut down at 91% and yet it continued to 98% (where I shut it off) at the next station when the battery was hotter. Doesn't make sense to me.
When starting charge from below 50% the charge is supposed to stop at lower SOC but if starting from above 50% it should charge to 100%.

Since temps were 9 bars or less at all points and appeared to climb gradually with each charge, it's very unlikely that it stopped because of over-temperature.

Are you able to manually set a charge-stop percentage with the QC stations you were using?

Would be interesting to do the same test with same amounts of charging but stop charging at 8-9 bars each time instead of 9-11 bars to see if it makes a difference.

That explains everything. It is likely that Burleson charge was started from under 50%. The one after it was definitely started above 50%. The others I didn't wait for a full charge so the auto shut off would not have occurred either way.

There is no way to set a target charge on those quick charge stations.

You dont need to worry about abuse, the car wont let you do it and may make you wait a while to cool off before recharging. Ambient temperature ranged from 79° to 91°, try it again in August :)

I noticed that:

Your travelled: 133 miles
Charged: 34 kWh and assuming 80% efficiency you got 27kWh into your battery
Time taken for charging: 78 minutes

Assuming thst your starting and ending SOC for your trip is approx. the same, it would seem that your driving effeciency is 133/27 =4.9 miles/KWh (unlikely)

If I were to travel the same distance and I were to start with a full charge from home, and traveling all highway only I could do this distance with two QCs. One of them would have to be a near empty to 80% and the 2nd one a short one for 10 mins or so. That means around say 45mins of QC time to travel this 133 miles. Around 3 hours total time end to end.

Dashboard read 3.8 for the trip. I arrived home with less charge than I started 8/7:30 to trickle vs. 9/5:00 to trickle. I recorded the time to trickle to 100% because I had heard that gives you a finer granularity on SOC. I should have measured the SOC from the QC station as that was very precise, but I couldn't do that for the start at home or end at home measurements.

Don't go too much by the charge start and stop times. I intended to use a stopwatch but just put the times as I entered the data was before I got out of the car and authorized/connected and then after I had disconnected and gotten back in the car. I also was chatting with the electrical guy a lot and of course wasted lots of time at the station that didn't work and driving back to the one that did. The actual times were shorter.

I definitely could have forgone a couple of the QC's, my goal was not efficiency here. I just wanted to visit them all, drive like I would drive any car. Mission accomplished.

My next mission will be to drive to Stephenville. Could do it with one QC in Burleson, I believe. Might have to drive a little slower than I want from Burleson to Stephenville, and charge 20 hours at my brothers house to get back, but I think it would be a fun test of my range.

mkjayakumar said:
I noticed that:

Your travelled: 133 miles
Charged: 34 kWh and assuming 80% efficiency you got 27kWh into your battery
Time taken for charging: 78 minutes

Assuming thst your starting and ending SOC for your trip is approx. the same, it would seem that your driving effeciency is 133/27 =4.9 miles/KWh (unlikely)

Actually if you look at the last stop before I drove home which has the exact same SOC and time to trickle numbers, you get...

Charged 34 kWh, drove 125.8 miles. That yields right about 3.7 miles/kWh which is what the dashboard said.

Sure ads up but that means they are reporting exactly what was added to the battery, not before an 80% efficiency factor.

Thank-you for your trip notes...very interesting and informative. I was at the quick-charge station at the Walgreens across from Cowboy Stadium on Thursday and it is now functioning. I'm told by the EvGo guys that more stations should be coming quickly in DFW. They experienced delays largely due to municipal permitting issues, and those issues are clearing out.

jwhitehouse said:
Thank-you for your trip notes...very interesting and informative. I was at the quick-charge station at the Walgreens across from Cowboy Stadium on Thursday and it is now functioning.

My trip was on Friday. I guess you are the one that broke it?

QC is a game changer.

I drove my sister in law to the airport this morning (60 miles RT). Stopped at the QC near home on the way back and Leaf is back in the garage with a full charge ready for the rest of the day.

Cheezmo said:
QC is a game changer.

I drove my sister in law to the airport this morning (60 miles RT). Stopped at the QC near home on the way back and Leaf is back in the garage with a full charge ready for the rest of the day.

There is no question about it that QC completely changes the way one can use Leaf. Hopefully we will see more DC QC around or Nissan will require some dealers to install them. I am ready.

These 5 stations are still not listed in their evgonetwork.com map.

https://www.evgonetwork.com/eVgo_Charging_Stations/#Pane2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does evGo have an iPhone app, similar to Blink ?

2 of them are. The original one at Beltline & Tollway and the Walgreens next to Cowboy Stadium. They are the ones with the green bird logos, what they call "Freedom Stations".

No, they don't have an app.

Yesterday I drove from Glen Rose to Burleson to try out the QC station. I started at 100% charge and drove HW 67 then HW 35 to Burleson and had 19 miles remaining when I arrived at the Cracker Barrel QC. It took 15 to 20 minutes to charge from 19 miles to 88 miles. I did not time it because I was talking with the technician doing his daily diagnostics. He checked both the L2 and the QC stations. I think you would be really pushing things to make Stephenville from Burleson on a quick charge. I joined eVgo for $39 a month for unlimited charging station use. They will not charge me until quite a few more stations are installed.

Back