Top speed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

Is there a speed limiter on these cars for 90 mph? Or power limited to that? I am curious to see how accurate the speedo is on this car

I'm not sure of the answer, but I'd guess it's computer limited and not power. If you want to find out how accurate your speedo is, go 85 in a 55 zone and I'm sure a nice person wearing a fancy uniform and driving a fancy car with lights will be glad to tell you how accurate your speedo is... :p I think it's fairly accurate. There are several of those "Your speed" things between my house and work and every time it displays my speed, it's either dead on with my speedo or 1mph off.

That's what I figure too, but I had accidentally gone past that. I just found that weird. I was expecting some fuel cut, oh wait no fuel.

No cruise control sucks so much!!!!

My past 5 cars including the LEAF had/has cruise control and I never used it once.

cossie1600 said:
That's what I figure too, but I had accidentally gone past that. I just found that weird. I was expecting some fuel cut, oh wait no fuel.

No cruise control sucks so much!!!!

cossie1600 said:
Is there a speed limiter on these cars for 90 mph? Or power limited to that? I am curious to see how accurate the speedo is on this car

Top speed is limited to about 94mph which would be about 90 actual on my car. I just use a GPS App and it shows mine is +3 at 65mph. At lower speeds, it's +2, and below 40 it's +1.

That's what I figure, the car doesn't really feel like it was going fast. I figure the speedo display was by 3 to 5 mph

This was discussed here when the car first came out. It was concluded that the top speed is limited by the max rpm of the electric motor. I don't remember the exact number, but someone did the math and found that the max motor rpm * fixed gear ratio * tire diameter = ~94mph. Which is what I topped out at on the speedo. While it might be possible to spin the motor faster, you risk losing structural integrity. So it might be "limited" but there's a reason for it.

The motor is a synchronous AC motor all you'd have to limit the speed is to tell the motor controller to only supply up to a certain frequency. In fact that might be the limit. Maybe there is a technical limitation in the electronics that only allows the frequency of the motor supply to go so high. Might explain the varied top speeds.

93mph. Wife and child sound asleep.

My other car would have been in the 5000rpm, really loud, range and shaking. Wife would have woke up yelling at me to slow down.

EV FTW!

CMYK4Life said:
93mph. Wife and child sound asleep.

My other car would have been in the 5000rpm, really loud, range and shaking. Wife would have woke up yelling at me to slow down.

EV FTW!
But, if you keep doing this, you'll soon hear a LOUD noise----a siren! :eek:

Back