Timer priority- Who's in charge of charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garypq

I can set a charging timer in the car, and in the Blink station.
Usually, on a weekday, I have the Timer 1 in the car set to 80% and off for weekend (none set).
Yesterday (Friday night), I set the Blink for 11 PM and there isn't a end time or % charge. At 11:00 PM it kicked on, but then went off at 12:15 AM at 50% charge.

Lately, the in car timer override isn't working, either. When I hit the button and plug in, nothing happens. I go to the Blink, and it will give me the count down to charge, and I can then "Start Charging" from that screen.

So the question is, will the Blink override the car, vice versa, or will they work together, or cancel out? :?:

Has anyone else noticed how flaky the Blink touch screen is? I am looking for a calibration mode, because I have to hunt around for the place to touch a command to make it work.

garypq said:
I can set a charging timer in the car, and in the Blink station.
Usually, on a weekday, I have the Timer 1 in the car set to 80% and off for weekend (none set).
Yesterday (Friday night), I set the Blink for 11 PM and there isn't a end time or % charge. At 11:00 PM it kicked on, but then went off at 12:15 AM at 50% charge.

Lately, the in car timer override isn't working, either. When I hit the button and plug in, nothing happens. I go to the Blink, and it will give me the count down to charge, and I can then "Start Charging" from that screen.

So the question is, will the Blink override the car, vice versa, or will they work together, or cancel out? :?:

Has anyone else noticed how flaky the Blink touch screen is? I am looking for a calibration mode, because I have to hunt around for the place to touch a command to make it work.
The Blink always will take priority since it never knows what the status of the Leaf is. If the Blink's timer isn't ready to start charging, the "Charge Override" in the Leaf won't do anything.

The only way I've seen people use them together is to set the car for 80% charging from something like 7am to 6:55am and then use the Blink for the actual timer charging (for time-of-use pricing or whatever other reason).

Since I charge to 100% I don't bother with the Leaf timer at all, I just plug it into the Blink and it starts charging at 10pm until 6:30am.

thankyouOB said:
Don't use the blink timer.
No one does, as far as I can tell.

I use the blink timer together with with Leaf timers. It works very well. I posted up in another thread how i configured booth my timers.

I have E9B and i wanted to use the blink timers whilst setting up my leaf timers so that i need not rely on that leaf timer override button. That button messes things up if u charge in a public charger and someone unplugs you. There was thread that describes this scenario assuming you have the leaf timers setup in a certain way.

mxp said:
I use the blink timer together with with Leaf timers. It works very well. I posted up in another thread how i configured booth my timers.
Can you share the link to that thread here? Thanks.

mxp said:
thankyouOB said:
Don't use the blink timer.
No one does, as far as I can tell.
I have E9B and i wanted to use the blink timers whilst setting up my leaf timers so that i need not rely on that leaf timer override button. That button messes things up if u charge in a public charger and someone unplugs you. There was thread that describes this scenario assuming you have the leaf timers setup in a certain way.

If you have the start/end LEAF timers set to the same time, AM and AM, such as 6AM to 6AM, and your charge set to 80%, it will ALWAYS charge to 80% at home or with other EVSEs, no matter if it is unplugged and plugged back in or if the power goes out, it will continue to charge to 80%. I only use the 100% override switch at home (rarely).

Volusiano said:
mxp said:

Volusiano, here is the cut n paste:

< cut >
So, I found a very stable work around for DHCP:

My current Wifi setting is such that my Wifi router renews DHCP addresses every hour. The BLINK has been very stable with this configuration. The hourly renewal does not cause any disruption to my Wifi stations.

Other observations is that using WEP is most stable as well. And, if you set the timers correctly for your personal circumstances, it does work well.

I am using BOTH timers concurrently:

1) BLINK timer settings are: (2 entries)
1. Weekday = 12:10am to 5:40am
2. Weekend = 12:10am to 5:40am

2) Carwings timer setting are: (2 entries- Timer1 and Timer2 across different days)
1. 80% alternate days 6:00am start, 5:50am stop
2. 100% alternate days 6:00am start, 5:50am stop

The reason why I setup Carwings that way is so that when I am parked at public stations and charging, the charging does not get affected by unplugging me.

I didn't do the 6AM to 6AM setting on Carwings like what Leaffan suggested, simply because there was some other thread that mentioned an anomaly with that. Again, I can't recall why, but my current settings the way they are work very well.

Occasionally, I have used the Leaf's timer override in combination with the Blink at home, and it's easy: just hit the button, then plug-in, and go to your Blink and hit the Charge Now. Easy.

Just remember, everyone's situation is different and you need to tweak your settings to suit yours.

OK, so basically you use the Blink to control the on peak/off peak timing of your home utility, and the Leaf timer to control the level of charge to 80% either at home or at public chargers.

Otherwise if you don't use the Blink like others, the timer on your Leaf may interfere with public charging unless people cancel the timer charger. But the problem with cancelling the timer charger is that your Leaf will charge to 100% which may not be desirable.

mxp said:
Volusiano said:
mxp said:

Volusiano, here is the cut n paste:

< cut >
So, I found a very stable work around for DHCP:

My current Wifi setting is such that my Wifi router renews DHCP addresses every hour. The BLINK has been very stable with this configuration. The hourly renewal does not cause any disruption to my Wifi stations.

Other observations is that using WEP is most stable as well. And, if you set the timers correctly for your personal circumstances, it does work well.

2) Carwings timer setting are: (2 entries- Timer1 and Timer2 across different days)

The reason why I setup Carwings that way is so that when I am parked at public stations and charging, the charging does not get affected by unplugging me.

I didn't do the 6AM to 6AM setting on Carwings like what Leaffan suggested, simply because there was some other thread that mentioned an anomaly with that. Again, I can't recall why, but my current settings the way they are work very well.

Occasionally, I have used the Leaf's timer override in combination with the Blink at home, and it's easy: just hit the button, then plug-in, and go to your Blink and hit the Charge Now. Easy.

Just remember, everyone's situation is different and you need to tweak your settings to suit yours.

My Blink settings are very similar. My car timer settings are set to charge to 80%, never 100%. Very rarely when I need to get to a 100% charge, I hit the button in the Leaf to bypass the timer.

Volusiano said:
Otherwise if you don't use the Blink like others, the timer on your Leaf may interfere with public charging unless people cancel the timer charger. But the problem with cancelling the timer charger is that your Leaf will charge to 100% which may not be desirable.

I never use the Blink timers and never have any problem charging to 80% with the timers set to 6AM to 6AM or 5:50AM. With this setup, if someone unplugs it or power is lost, it will resume charging to 80% unless you push the 'override' switch.

LEAFfan said:
Volusiano said:

I never use the Blink timers and never have any problem charging to 80% with the timers set to 6AM to 6AM or 5:50AM. With this setup, if someone unplugs it or power is lost, it will resume charging to 80% unless you push the 'override' switch.
Of course if you don't care to take advantage of or don't have an on peak/off peak plan with your utility company, then you don't need to use your Leaf nor Blink timer as a true timer. You only need to use it as a limiter to 80% charge.

It goes without saying that what I'm talking about only applies to the situation where people need to use a timer to take advantage of the off-peak time to charge their Leaf.

mxp said:
I have E9B and i wanted to use the blink timers whilst setting up my leaf timers so that i need not rely on that leaf timer override button. That button messes things up if u charge in a public charger and someone unplugs you.
mxp said:
I have heard this complaint in several threads now, but I am still wondering how much of a problem this is in reality. Has anyone to date actually experienced having their car unplugged by someone at a public charging station before their car was done charging? I have seen no reports of that specific issue posted here. Is it really something to worry about? We have done no public charging whatsoever in 5,000 miles of driving the Leaf, but I am trying to get a sense of whether I should actually worry about random EV vandalism of this sort when I do. :?: :?: :?:

TT

Volusiano said:
OK, so basically you use the Blink to control the on peak/off peak timing of your home utility, and the Leaf timer to control the level of charge to 80% either at home or at public chargers.

Exactly!

mxp said:

What is the purpose of setting the Leaf timer to 80% and 100% on alternate days? If you just want the Leaf to always charge at any time at 80% only, don't you just want to set 1 timer only for 80% all days of the week, and not set the second timer at all?

On some occasion when you want to override the 80% limit and charge to 100% instead, you'll just push the manual timer cancel button on the Leaf. Then it'll charge to 100% right away.

Volusiano said:
mxp said:

What is the purpose of setting the Leaf timer to 80% and 100% on alternate days? If you just want the Leaf to always charge at any time at 80% only, don't you just want to set 1 timer only for 80% all days of the week, and not set the second timer at all?

On some occasion when you want to override the 80% limit and charge to 100% instead, you'll just push the manual timer cancel button on the Leaf. Then it'll charge to 100% right away.

I use both timers one set as 80% and one as 100% for different reasons:

1. I have different commute requirements on alternating days
2. I try not to use the override button (for the obvious reasons) and I manually select the 80% timer on the day I am parked in the public EVSE and no matter how many times I get plugged/unplugged, my car will only charge up to 80%.

@ttweed: Have you read this thread yet? If you are in SoCAL you might want to avoid parking next to this Leaf LOL!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bottom line is this: When you out in public parking, it is completely unpredictable. I have my strategy tweaked to not have to deal with the 1% chance of something messing up my day. I made up my own Placard with my own statements about unplugging and offered my cell phone number. Some people don't like that...

You do what works for you. We have different strategies and methods to accomplish various charging needs. There is no one real solution for everyone. You gotta start with one strategy and tweak it until you find out how it will work for you. I started with some ideas/suggestions from MNL forum members and the more I experimented with the timers on the Blink and CARWINGS the more I get to understand it better...

mxp said:
@ttweed: Have you read this thread yet? If you are in SoCAL you might want to avoid parking next to this Leaf LOL!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ya, I read that shortly after posting my question. I have that license plate memorized, though it is unlikely I will be driving around LA in my Leaf anytime soon. :shock:

Another blow to my faith in basic human goodness prevailing--they're coming fast and furious these days, it seems.... :evil:
TT

There's also plain old human error. In the rush to plug in and charge publicly, I forgot to push the manual override. Imagine my disappointment to come back and find out the car had NOT charged after hours of doing something else! Or, the next time when I accidentally pushed the manual override of the timer TWICE (thinking the first time had not been firm enough for it to register). Came back to no charge! Now I have to triple check that the dash lights are blinking before I depart from a public charging station (and rely upon the milk of human kindness that no one unplugs me while I am gone). I'm starting to think I should do away with the Leaf timer other than to set the charge to 80%.

Phoenix said:
There's also plain old human error. In the rush to plug in and charge publicly, I forgot to push the manual override. Imagine my disappointment to come back and find out the car had NOT charged after hours of doing something else! Or, the next time when I accidentally pushed the manual override of the timer TWICE (thinking the first time had not been firm enough for it to register). Came back to no charge! Now I have to triple check that the dash lights are blinking before I depart from a public charging station (and rely upon the milk of human kindness that no one unplugs me while I am gone). I'm starting to think I should do away with the Leaf timer other than to set the charge to 80%.
I didn't realize that pushing the manual override twice is like a double negative that puts the Leaf back to the programmed timer mode. Are you sure about this?

I've done away with the Leaf timer myself already so I don't run into the same problem you describe when I public charge, except to use it as a 80% control only. If you're constrained by the Peak utility timing at home, it makes more sense to program that into the EVSE in your garage if you can because the garage EVSE is at home so it should be tied to the home requirement.

If you have a question about priority, think about how the electricity is flowing to your car:

It comes from your breaker to the EVSE, your EVSE can dictate if and when the electricity is flowing to the car (i.e. if you set a timer). Regardless how you set the car, the EVSE is first because it gets first dibs on the electricity.

After the EVSE decides to send electricity to the car, then the car handles it, which goes to your car timer first, then the last is 80% charge (i.e. if your at or over 80% it won't charge). You can obviously think of scenarios of how this would work. If you have everthing set (EVSE timer, Car timer, and 80%), all three criteria must be ready to charge the car.

Back