Time for new COLORS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

White, Black, Silver, Slate are not really colors.

http://jalopnik.com/5951249/the-best-car-colors-ever-offered" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, Ghosn could have gone the route of Henry Ford, who allegedly said that his Model T was available in any color "as long as it was black." :lol: Honda has done just that with the FCX-Clarity, only available in Garnet Red Metallic.

Color choices, or lack thereof, is a product of consumer tastes (or lack thereof) today. People are interested in resale value so they don't want to go out on a limb with the color.

My favorite car in terms of color was my '98 Maxima with its dark green metallic paint job. I do hope future Leafs are painted at the factory in this shade of green.

RonDawg said:
Color choices, or lack thereof, is a product of consumer tastes (or lack thereof) today. People are interested in resale value so they don't want to go out on a limb with the color.

Well I think that aspect is partly driven by the outdated dealership business model, inventory allocations, etc., which is on its way out. Dealers worry that a unique color will sit on their lot for 60 days instead of 30 days.

Tesla has the right idea. Get the car you want, how you want it, direct. Once that model is in place, it's not much of a further leap to enable custom colors on the assembly line.

In all the years I have been buying new cars, only once have I bought out of stock. I've always ordered to get exactly what I wanted...

BMW in Europe is interesting... I bought a 3 on the European Delivery Program and visited their factory and show room in Munich. In Europe, you can get literally hundreds of colors. There were sixteen different shades of silver alone! And if that is not enough, you can bring them a color swatch and they will match it. Individualization is MUCH bigger in Europe than it is here with all the major manufacturers there! By taking delivery of it there, I was able to get a color that was not normally available in the states, but standard fare in Europe...

Nubo said:
Well I think that aspect is partly driven by the outdated dealership business model, inventory allocations, etc., which is on its way out. Dealers worry that a unique color will sit on their lot for 60 days instead of 30 days. Tesla has the right idea. Get the car you want, how you want it, direct. Once that model is in place, it's not much of a further leap to enable custom colors on the assembly line.

TomT said:
In all the years I have been buying new cars, only once have I bought out of stock. I've always ordered to get exactly what I wanted...

BMW in Europe is interesting... I bought a 3 on the European Delivery Program and visited their factory and show room in Munich. In Europe, you can get literally hundreds of colors. There were sixteen different shades of silver alone! And if that is not enough, you can bring them a color swatch and they will match it. Individualization is MUCH bigger in Europe than it is here with all the major manufacturers there! By taking delivery of it there, I was able to get a color that was not normally available in the states, but standard fare in Europe...

Germans in particular are much more patient than Americans about car buying. They don't subscribe to our "instant gratification" need and are willing to wait weeks for a car to be built-to-order. Their dealerships are much smaller in scale than ours, stocking far fewer new cars than our dealerships.

The factory delivery program is part of their new car buying culture. In addition to BMW, VW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi have turned the experience of picking up a new car to be its own form of entertainment, with attached museums, factory tours, and in the case of VW, an entire car-themed park (AutoStadt).

European factory delivery is on my bucket list...perhaps the upcoming Audi A3 e-Tron?

Yes, it was an amazing experience and something one should do at least once in their lifetime. BTW, the factory tour (scheduled three months in advance because of the waiting list) would have given OSHA here a heart attack!

RonDawg said:
European factory delivery is on my bucket list...perhaps the upcoming Audi A3 e-Tron?

My last several cars have been white, white, black, black, grey grey, not quite in that order, but yeah hehe I guess I like those.

Car's I've had:

Black junker
Dark Green junker
Cream junker
Orange junker
Jade Mist
White
Yellow
White

Yeah, I'm guilty too. Glacier Pearl was what they had on the lot. But the LEAF was the first car since "Orange" (1982) that I didn't special order :)

I have never owned a black, silver or gray car.
the only thing close to dull was "fleet white" Ford F 150 which is not supposed to be available to the general public but it was a canceled fleet order and it was a 1990 bought in May of 1991

Back