Three flashing blue lights, 3 beeps. Charging problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this problem just now. My daughter brought home a free evse from work (which deals with old gear, often donated because it has a problem). It did the three beeps when plugged in. When unplugged you can hear the microswitch click when you press and release the button. When plugged in, you hear the microswitch click as you press the button, but when it released it didn't bounce back far enough to release the microswitch.
I tried plugging it in, then pulling on the switch, which got the microswitch to release and the car started charging.
So it's a mechanical problem with the switch.

Yep - 3 flashing lights and 3 repeating beeps means only one thing: the car thinks you're holding the release button down.

Usually this is caused by a metal lock/release lever on the handle that's become bent by being plopped on its nose, or attempted to be removed against the Leaf's plug lock.

You can usually bend it straight by inserting something into the lock hole in the edge of the button (to "lock" it), then lift up on the latch on the tip, with enough pressure to bend it slightly but not break it. That's how I fix them when I run into these bent latches. When it's fixed properly, the entire hole should be exposed when the button is released, and the latch on the tip should have the full range of motion within its plastic cutout when you press the button.

Most importantly, while the charging plug is plugged into the car, you SHOULD be able to hear and feel the switch "click" when you press the release button. That way you know the switch is released when the button is released. :)
Just tried that, thank you, worked and took a couple of seconds :) on a eNv200

"Yep - 3 flashing lights and 3 repeating beeps means only one thing: the car thinks you're holding the release button down."

IIRC, this also warns of a failure to start charging because of a charge timer conflict.

Back