The LEAFs Mighty Mite Motor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about dysprosium? Nissan is proudly claiming that the 2013 motor uses 40% less dysprosium than before, which of course means it is still using a significant amount of it. That is a rare earth element in high demand for its unique properties, used in applications like lasers, nuclear reactors, and hard disk drives, in addition to electric motors.

Ray

planet4ever said:
How about dysprosium? Nissan is proudly claiming that the 2013 motor uses 40% less dysprosium than before, which of course means it is still using a significant amount of it. That is a rare earth element in high demand for its unique properties, used in applications like lasers, nuclear reactors, and hard disk drives, in addition to electric motors.

Ray
Thanks for pointing that out. That alone is enough reason we would all be better off just sticking with gasoline cars :lol:

Once battery technology takes a leap, there will be a lot of parts that will no longer be needed in the switch from ICE to BEV. I took this picture showing what a BEV doesn't need. Oh. I forgot to add the gas tank also, LOL.

20130315091635133.jpg

Kind of makes you think about plug in hybrids vehicles. Or range extended BEVs. They still have most of this same stuff in their drivetrains. The simplicity of a pure BEV is kind of refreshing.

^^^
On the above note, Nissan put out this ad long ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlx3Bzl8J5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's still being used on the Leaf web site.

cwerdna said:
^^^
On the above note, Nissan put out this ad long ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlx3Bzl8J5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's still being used on the Leaf web site.

Cool Ad! They should put that back on TV.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Does this motor use rare earth metals? I thought not. Trying to settle a debate here.
The LEAF uses a permanent-magnet (synchronous) machine, so it does use rare-earth metals. Tesla cars, OTOH, use induction machines and therefore do not use any rare-earths.

TickTock said:
Unlike brushed, DC motors, the coils are on the outside so it is much easier to move heat away enabling you to push a lot more current through a lot less wire.
Is this the explanation, then? My friend came back from the Tesla store demanding to know how that little motor was putting out 100 times the power of the one in his table saw. We're both EE's, but not power engineers. I could only guess at the answers. Now, I'm going to show him the picture of the LEAF motor :)

Back