The forgotten Sept/Oct orders

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kataphn said:
garygid said:
Kat...,
Where did you find the "made 3/7/11" info?
From your dealer's dashboard?

Told verbally by dealer.
Production date of 3/7/11 for Oct 1 order seems very consistent with my late Nov order being caught by the earthquake. I understand that now they are making more cars, but at a reduced rate, so mine is coming.

gascant said:
Rat said:
So far as I can tell I have the distinction of being the only person who has had a VIN given and retracted and the only person in the Bay Area who ordered in September and has a June date on the dashboard. I can only hope that based on other stories here they are looking for another car to reassign to me.
Keep calling Customer Service and escalate until they tell you something satisfactory. That is just not right--through no fault of your own, you're now way out there (especially since you were asked to upgrade, no?
Right, Zach of Nissan called me on 2/1 and encouraged me to upgrade because the EV Project was coming to the Bay Area and my Leaf was "going on the assembly line Friday (Feb. 4)" so I had to move quick. I agreed. Then I was not accepted into the EV Project and now I'm being told that Zach's information about my car being in production was also wrong. So not only did I get bumped to the end of the line, I also was talked into spending more for something I didn't get anyway. I've decided I do want the SL now, but the whole idea of pressuring me based on the production date and then yanking it away really galls me.

Rat said:
It's gotten worse. I finally got into CarWings and got a VIN, but it was a VIN already assigned to someone else here in the forum. When I inquired with my dealer (same dealer as the other member) he said that car was an SV and the original buyer had upgraded to an SL-e so it was an orphan. The problem was that I also upgraded to an SL+QC. They have no explanation as to why their records still show me as wanting an SV even though I repeatedly called and tried to get them to update my dash to show SL (only to be assured my car would be an SL and not to worry about the dashboard). So Carwings is now closed to me and my VIN was taken away since I didn't want that car. But that still leaves me as a 9/29 order and a June delivery date. I just spoke to a friend who ordered after me (9/30) who has a delivery date in early May. So far as I can tell I have the distinction of being the only person who has had a VIN given and retracted and the only person in the Bay Area who ordered in September and has a June date on the dashboard. I can only hope that based on other stories here they are looking for another car to reassign to me.
The moral here is that when dealing with incompetents (as Nissan marketing clearly are) any request for a change is an opportunity for them to screw up. Good luck getting the car you want in a timely manner.

daniel said:
Rat said:
It's gotten worse. I finally got into CarWings and got a VIN, but it was a VIN already assigned to someone else here in the forum. When I inquired with my dealer (same dealer as the other member) he said that car was an SV and the original buyer had upgraded to an SL-e so it was an orphan. The problem was that I also upgraded to an SL+QC. They have no explanation as to why their records still show me as wanting an SV even though I repeatedly called and tried to get them to update my dash to show SL (only to be assured my car would be an SL and not to worry about the dashboard). So Carwings is now closed to me and my VIN was taken away since I didn't want that car. But that still leaves me as a 9/29 order and a June delivery date. I just spoke to a friend who ordered after me (9/30) who has a delivery date in early May. So far as I can tell I have the distinction of being the only person who has had a VIN given and retracted and the only person in the Bay Area who ordered in September and has a June date on the dashboard. I can only hope that based on other stories here they are looking for another car to reassign to me.
The moral here is that when dealing with incompetents (as Nissan marketing clearly are) any request for a change is an opportunity for them to screw up. Good luck getting the car you want in a timely manner.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that Nissan must have hired The Three Stooges. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

folla said:
- April 8th - Dashboard changed to "Week of April 28th", VIN available and able to activate Carwings and Owner's Portal.

- April 15th (Late) - Dashboard changed from "Pending" to "Month of July 2011". Owner's portal now shows 2 VINs and allows Carwings activation for the new VIN.

Wow !!! I drove a Chevy Volt today, and I liked it. I was surprised. I figured it would just be another GM excuse mobile.

Water cooled batteries, never discharges below 20%, nor charges above 80% (for longest battery life). The car was just as quiet as the LEAF. The gasoline motor never came on (I guess it doesn't until the battery reaches 0 miles remaining). In California, the 2012 model is supposed to get the full $5000 California rebate, obviously oblivious to the fact that it may not have any money left.

My point. I don't think I'd mind getting the Volt in lieu of the the LEAF. It does cost about $10,000 more, though, and for that much money, you can go 375 miles versus 100. Only a four passenger car.

derkraut said:
After reading all the posts in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that Nissan must have hired The Three Stooges. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Worse, I believe they hired the Three Morons! This wouldn't have ever happened in Japan! In Japan, Japan Nissan has delivered 6000 cars and I haven't heard even one complaint about reservation/order sequence.

TonyWilliams said:
The gasoline motor never came on (I guess it doesn't until the battery reaches 0 miles remaining).
My point. I don't think I'd mind getting the Volt in lieu of the the LEAF. It does cost about $10,000 more, though, and for that much money, you can go 375 miles versus 100. Only a four passenger car.

First of all, the gasoline engine will come on and does drive the wheels if you: 1. Do jackrabbit starts 2. Drive 70 mph or faster 3. Go up a steep hill or mountain. I guess you missed the memo about GM changing their story from "it only charges the battery" to "yes, it will drive the wheels."
Secondly, yes, you can go over 300 and I know how to obtain (my wife has a 2009 Corolla (EPA 26 city) and I've already achieved an overall 56 mpg in the city (6 mile trip) hypermiling and using a ScanGauge II) more than 100 from the LEAF (doubt the 375), but you will still be using gasoline (can you say $5/gal.?) and my LEAF will be emissions free and charged for free using our PVs. :mrgreen:

LEAFfan said:
First of all, the gasoline engine will come on and does drive the wheels if you: 1. Do jackrabbit starts 2. Drive 70 mph or faster 3. Go up a steep hill or mountain. I guess you missed the memo about GM changing their story from "it only charges the battery" to "yes, it will drive the wheels."
Bzzz ... Mostly FUD, LEAFfan.

1. Wrong. The ICE never comes on for jackrabbit starts unless the battery is depleted. Of course you may feel like it's giving you Easter Bunny starts instead of jackrabbit, but that's another subject. Besides, the starts don't get any faster when the engine is running.

2. Wrong. The car can travel to its maximum speed on battery and electric motor alone.

3. Wrong. In fact the opposite can happen. With juice in the battery the electric motor can handle any mountain. But if the battery is depleted, the ICE can't put out enough power to keep the car from slowing on a steep slope. There is a special mountain mode you can engage before you get to the mountain which tells the car's computer to use the engine to charge the battery above the normal depletion level. That gives you extra battery/motor power so you don't slow down on the steep part.

But you are correct that the ICE can drive the wheels. Apparently they decided, not illogically, that if the ICE is going to be running anyway it is more efficient (at highway speeds) to send the mechanical power directly to the wheels than to convert it into electricity and back to mechanical power.

Ray

derkraut said:
Or worse yet and more likely, they hired Microsoft!

Reserved - April 20, 2010
Ordered - September 8, 2010
7-day delivery notice - April 12, 2011
Dashboard delivery date - "week of May 6"

thinking about changing my forum name to "missingLEAF", or "LEAFedoverme", or ...

;)

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
Bzzz ... Mostly FUD, LEAFfan.

1. Wrong. The ICE never comes on for jackrabbit starts unless the battery is depleted. Of course you may feel like it's giving you Easter Bunny starts instead of jackrabbit, but that's another subject. Besides, the starts don't get any faster when the engine is running.

2. Wrong. The car can travel to its maximum speed on battery and electric motor alone.

3. Wrong. In fact the opposite can happen. With juice in the battery the electric motor can handle any mountain. But if the battery is depleted, the ICE can't put out enough power to keep the car from slowing on a steep slope. There is a special mountain mode you can engage before you get to the mountain which tells the car's computer to use the engine to charge the battery above the normal depletion level. That gives you extra battery/motor power so you don't slow down on the steep part.

But you are correct that the ICE can drive the wheels. Apparently they decided, not illogically, that if the ICE is going to be running anyway it is more efficient (at highway speeds) to send the mechanical power directly to the wheels than to convert it into electricity and back to mechanical power.

Ray

If you believe it to be FUD, then show me your proof wiseguy. ;) The FUD is people still believe the gen only charges the batteries. I would love to see someone try going 70 mph or faster in a Volt, and tell me that their gas engine didn't come on. And before a Volt driver climbs a steep hill or mountain, chances are they will put it in 'Mountain Mode' (if they don't, good luck with having any charge left at the top...lol) and the gen will drive the wheels.

LEAFfan said:
First of all, the gasoline engine will come on and does drive the wheels if you: 1. Do jackrabbit starts 2. Drive 70 mph or faster 3. Go up a steep hill or mountain.
All wrong. After learning more about the Volt, I have to say that GM really screwed up in the public message here. Not quite as bad as Nissan pissing off most of their customers, but they certainly let the public get the wrong idea about the Volt.

Simply put, if you start the day fully charged, you can drive the Volt however you like, to maximum performance, without running the engine at all. Those first ~35 miles are zero-fuel zero-emission. For real.

It's what happens between 35 and 75 miles of range -- that's where the LEAF shines.

And beyond 75 miles -- that's where the Volt wins again.

Beyond 150 miles, well, that's Prius territory.

Back on topic ...
Last night I posted something on the 'April Deliveries' thread that really belongs here. I'm going to repeat it, with added information:

I did some "weeding" of the Vin and Delivery spreadsheet. After eliminating people with impossible order dates (4/20), those who are not registered on the board, those registered who have not visited recently, and those who have announced their delivery in posts, but not on the spreadsheet, here are the longest-suffering fools among us:

Ordered 9/1: earther [but he switched from an SV to an SL-E when Bay Area eTec opened up.]

Ordered 9/2: linkim*, Nils, planet4ever, rjzastaury, SilverLEAF*

* Cars delivered to the dealer, but not yet in customer hands.

Ordered 9/3: csriram45, Frank*, LakeLeaf, Leaftera*, pksd1, SOLE, z0ner

* Haven't posted for some time, but are still visiting the site. If they've gotten their cars they are keeping very quiet about it.

Unless I've made a mistake (quite possible) that covers everyone without a car who ordered in the first week and is an active visitor on the board.

Ray

so as of today i count 100 of these forgotten orders still logged in the spreadsheet awaiting delivery. this may represent 500 or so total leaf orders. this topic has not been updated recently. anyone getting any new info regarding our situation?

22 Oct CA order w/ no VIN & June promise

It would seem to me Nissan has figured out the issue and is now delivering cars in the proper order. However existing Leafs that had been assigned out of order are getting processed as originally assigned. I confidently assume all future production and vehicle assignments will be in proper order.

I would not count on the spreadsheet to be perfect. There seem to be more than a few that have put in wrong data or have neglected to update to make corrections.

opencar said:
so as of today i count 100 of these forgotten orders still logged in the spreadsheet awaiting delivery. this may represent 500 or so total leaf orders. this topic has not been updated recently. anyone getting any new info regarding our situation?

22 Oct CA order w/ no VIN & June promise
Nothing here - same as you.

smkettner said:
It would seem to me Nissan has figured out the issue and is now delivering cars in the proper order. However existing Leafs that had been assigned out of order are getting processed as originally assigned. I confidently assume all future production and vehicle assignments will be in proper order.
I would not count on it - but it seems that Feb orders are getting their VINs before the forgotten Oct/Nov/Dec orders (are there any forgotten Sept orders besides Rat?).

[/quote]
it seems that Feb orders are getting their VINs before the forgotten Oct/Nov/Dec orders [/quote]
Yes

I ordered in Nov. and have an August 2011 delivery on the DB, (9 months from order date) while some who ordered in March 2011 are also showing August as well.

drees said:
smkettner said:
I would not count on it - but it seems that Feb orders are getting their VINs before the forgotten Oct/Nov/Dec orders (are there any forgotten Sept orders besides Rat?).
What was the recent date that a Feb order got a VIN?

Back