Suspension Upgrade Possibilities?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect it is due to the fact that it is a relatively heavy car and they have to assume no engine braking of any kind in specifying the brakes. If the battery is full there will be no regen thus only friction braking.

Electric4Me said:
I'm definitely surprised by the size of both the front and rear brakes! I could see a "performance mod" of downsizing them! :lol: They're bigger than on my WRX which came with 16" wheels and weighs 3100 lbs.

drees said:
Electric4Me said:
I'm sure camber bolts will work fine like you said. For those that don't know them, here's a pair I'm currently using:
http://tinyurl.com/4csjatm
You using those on your WRX? I was able to get a bit over -1 with the stock adjuster in front on mine, and the rear is already about -1.5 stock.

Yeah, I run -2.5 on the street and -3.75 on the track. (long story on how/why I got there best taken offline...)

drees said:
Electric4Me said:
They're bigger than on my WRX which came with 16" wheels and weighs 3100 lbs.
Heh - another WRX owner. :) Unfortunately my WRX will be sold to make room for the Leaf - but ~22 mpg and 20c/mile in fuel does not make any sense!

I plan to keep my WRX wagon indefinitely... It's my kind of SUV.

Electric4Me said:
Yeah, I run -2.5 on the street and -3.75 on the track. (long story on how/why I got there best taken offline...)
Eh - it's suspension related - maybe others will learn a bit about suspension tuning! :)

Electric4Me said:
I plan to keep my WRX wagon indefinitely... It's my kind of SUV.
Oh noes - you have a wagon, too? :) Mine's a silver '03. I do enjoy my WRX a lot - but since I don't track it and I don't have the room, I can't justify keeping it. Besides - with the money I get back from selling it I should be able to get up enough solar panels to power the LEAF. :)

That's a lot of negative camber. I ran -1.0 front and -2.5 back on my Lotus...

>>> Yeah, I run -2.5 on the street and -3.75 on the track. (long story on how/why I got there best taken offline...)

drees said:
Electric4Me said:
Eh - it's suspension related - maybe others will learn a bit about suspension tuning! :)

Well, to try and keep it at least semi-related to the Leaf, everyone's needs are different. I just used trial and error. I can't honestly believe that anyone will put really sticky wide tires (and roll their fenders) and full suspension upgrades on the Leaf, but I've been wrong before! I'll consider minor tweaks, but that's it for this car. Now, my future Infiniti EV or ESFLOW, that's another story!! :lol:

mogur said:
That's a lot of negative camber. I ran -1.0 front and -2.5 back on my Lotus...

>>> Yeah, I run -2.5 on the street and -3.75 on the track. (long story on how/why I got there best taken offline...)

Well the WRX is set up like a FWD car, and I have it exactly opposite of your Lotus. ;)

Quick update. Spoke to the KW rep and it doesn't sound like they are interested in developing a coilover system at the moment. However they might be interested in developing a set of springs under their Suspension Techniques line. As soon as my car arrives (hopefully next week) I'll be taking it down their to have them check it out. Stay tuned...

nader said:
Quick update. Spoke to the KW rep and it doesn't sound like they are interested in developing a coilover system at the moment. However they might be interested in developing a set of springs under their Suspension Techniques line. As soon as my car arrives (hopefully next week) I'll be taking it down their to have them check it out. Stay tuned...
My impression is that the LEAF (especially with 2 people and a bit of luggage) is a bit under-damped with the stock springs. Unfortunately, damping is usually more expensive to improve than spring rate.

nader said:

Hey this is awesome, I knew this would happen! I used to work closely with KW (from 2002-2008), I was involved with developing some of the coilover kits for the Volvo's (yes for a Volvo, they said it would never happen!).

I contacted my guy (Tom Edge) at KW back in November of 2010 asking if they were planning anything for the Leaf and he said they didn't think Leaf owners would be interested in something like this. I'm planning to get into a Leaf in the next year or two (at least get on the waiting list) but my first impression driving one was it needed a better suspension.

KW IS THE BEST when it comes to coilover kits, you can easily drop 5Lbs+ on each corner of the vehicle and improve handling (you'll also improve launch and aerodynamics by slightly lowering the vehicle). I urge anyone who has a Leaf who is seriously interested in a coilover kit to contact KW so they will listen and make something happen. This is what we had to do with the Volvo stuff and now everyone is knocking it off.

Whatever you do stay away from Ksport, it is JUNK. I won't explain, just google the words Ksport + junk and/or garbage and you'll see what I mean.

If you guys who want coilovers are serious and want help let me know I can get KW to listen we just need a good amount of people who are ready to commit to something.

There was a mention they might be interested in a rebadged KW part to be sold under the ST (suspension techniques) brand but with galvanized body instead of the INOX coating. That's totally fine by me! Once I get a car in their hands we'll see what they say. Hopefully next week. I won't even be able to drive the car much when I get it since it will be all torn apart having the headlight and taillight housings painted.

-Nader

nader said:
There was a mention they might be interested in a rebadged KW part to be sold under the ST (suspension techniques) brand but with galvanized body instead of the INOX coating. That's totally fine by me! Once I get a car in their hands we'll see what they say. Hopefully next week. I won't even be able to drive the car much when I get it since it will be all torn apart having the headlight and taillight housings painted.

-Nader

That's great! I had the very first coilover kit for the 2001 Volvo S40 in the US (got it in 2002), it was a galvanized kit as well, the shocks were made by AlKo. I cut the rear springs and modified the fronts to drop the car an extra .25" in the front and 1.5" in the rear, I sold that kit in 2007 (to try Ksport, ugh what a mistake!!). I ended up going back to KW and got the INOX setup which had now been perfected (and also dropped the car lower like I originally wanted. The guy I sold my galvanized kit to still has it though, never had a problem with the shocks or anything. KW's will literally outlast the vehicle you put them on.

knightarmor said:
KW IS THE BEST when it comes to coilover kits, you can easily drop 5Lbs+ on each corner of the vehicle and improve handling (you'll also improve launch and aerodynamics by slightly lowering the vehicle). I urge anyone who has a Leaf who is seriously interested in a coilover kit to contact KW so they will listen and make something happen. This is what we had to do with the Volvo stuff and now everyone is knocking it off.

Whatever you do stay away from Ksport, it is JUNK. I won't explain, just google the words Ksport + junk and/or garbage and you'll see what I mean.

Well, all companies have their different grades of products and you cannot simply judge them by one specific line/application. Early on Ksport had a bad supplier for their components; they have since changed. Also, their low end line is still not good. The only version I would be working with them on is their upper line.

Also, I will argue that KW is not the best (overall). Most of their V3 line is underdamped from the start. If I were to pick one of the best companies for a coilover suspension I would be picking from either something based on a Penske shock, Sachs, or the upper end Ohlins equipment. When it comes to the lower end, cost wise, Ohlins would win for their R&T set-up.

I have lost Ksport's attention as they think there is no market for a LEAF set-up. I would be happy with a good shock and spring replacement over a full coilover. These are streetcars and I would not be planning on making adjustments as long as a spring rate is selected properly; along with a correct damping in a shock to complement them. Plus a shock and spring set-up would be cheaper to start with over a coilover.

Skywagon said:
TRONZ said:
Maybe you should forward them a link to the Nismo LEAF RC?!?

There is as much LEAF in that car as there is Ford Fusion in it's NASCAR version...

Yes. It would seem "some" people see an extreme performance potential in the LEAFs EV drivetrain. But then what does Nismo know. ;)

TRONZ said:
Skywagon said:
TRONZ said:
Maybe you should forward them a link to the Nismo LEAF RC?!?

There is as much LEAF in that car as there is Ford Fusion in it's NASCAR version...

Yes. It would seem "some" people see an extreme performance potential in the LEAFs EV drivetrain. But then what does Nismo know. ;)

Looks more like a DTM Leaf to me! :D

rclams said:
nader said:
My impression is that the LEAF (especially with 2 people and a bit of luggage) is a bit under-damped with the stock springs. Unfortunately, damping is usually more expensive to improve than spring rate.

I agree with the under-damped comment, but it does make for a "comfortable" ride... I won't be making any upgrades for a while, if ever. Making this vehicle more harsh seems against the point. But I'm still having a lot of fun in it!

(http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3471)

I imagine the mounting locations are the same. The spring rates and shock/strut valving would be different though.

knightarmor said:
Has anyone checked if the suspension components from the Versa will switch over to the Leaf?

Now that my own delivery is getting closer will be more engaged with this very issue.

Skywagon said:
bpifer said:
As for the suspension, I like to use Ground Control ( http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/index.php ) for springs and sways. They will take the weights of any car and work with you to figure out how much firmer you want and recommend some settings to try.

For the shocks, I like the KYB AGX-8. They are an 8 way adjustable damper that you can pretty much change the settings on at any parking lot with no tools.

If you're looking for a designed and tested "system", you may have to wait a bit for the Leaf to have a bigger market presence. Feel free to PM any questions.

Brian

The problem is there is a torsion beam in the rear so there are not many great solutions for that besides just springs and shocks. In order to dial out the under steer you will probably want a weaker front swaybar, dial in negative camber, or softer springs up front. Or, just do as I do and have a gas car as a back-up/sports car. My MX-5 on Ohlins coilovers, large front swaybar, clutch LSD, and 255 tires does very nicely in the turns, especially at autox events.

Also, do not go too low as you do not want to scrape the undertray/battery pack on a speed bump, etc.

I think people will be wasting their time trying to get this car to "handle" and they will only be disappointed in what they are able to achieve (if at all) and possible loss in range.

To revise this thread I started earlier, now I am driving the car, and do want a stiffer more responsive ride, and am willing to give up comfort to accomplish the task, but also don't want to throw a big pile of money at the situation.

There is another thread I will locate where a MNLer put on light rims and tires, and Scott at Fontana is actively working with a vendor, and they have agreed to provide parts to test fit.

Back