Suggest Cities to See Relative Battery Aging Factor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you add a new set of cities, would you please consider Raleigh, NC? The city has made a big push into EV-friendliness, especially with NCSU. (Nissan added 42 extra charging stations to my nav system just this past week.) It would be nice to tell people if it's too hot here.

Well with Norfolk also being a 1.01 I guess we will see how it pans out. Cannot wait to get my hands on a Leafscan so I can see what my actual battery capacity is percentage wise. Hopefully by the end of my lease I still have 90% or so left.

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but it might be instructive to determine the aging factor for the locations listed in the wiki as having suffered capacity bar loss.

lukati said:
I don't know if this has already been suggested, but it might be instructive to determine the aging factor for the locations listed in the wiki as having suffered capacity bar loss.
That is a great idea. I will go through the Wiki and see which cities are missing and add the battery aging factor for them, if available. For instance, Chandler, AZ shows up as Mesa, AZ in Weatherspark. I assume they are close to each other.

Added battery aging factor for the following cities:

Mesa, AZ - 1.78
Waxahachie, TX - 1.25
Visalia, CA - 1.09
Burbank, CA - 1.07
Santa Ana, CA - 0.97
Sevilla, Spain - 1.18
Oceanside, CA - 0.85
Tyler, TX - 1.25
Witchita Falls, TX - 1.32

Wiki updated. The remaining cities where Leaf owners have lost capacity bars, but aren't listed in the Wiki table are too close to another city on the list to get their own analysis.

Stoaty said:
lukati said:
That is a great idea. I will go through the Wiki and see which cities are missing and add the battery aging factor for them, if available. For instance, Chandler, AZ shows up as Mesa, AZ in Weatherspark. I assume they are close to each other.
Yep, they share a small border in fact. Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Peoria, Surprise, Glendale, Avondale, Tolleson, Goodyear and most of Scottsdale can all be considered "Phoenix" for weather purposes.

Stoaty, how about figuring Prescott, Arizona? It is about 100 miles north of Phoenix but at 5,300 ft. elevation.

RegGuheert said:
Stoaty said:
Oceanside, CA - 0.85
O.K. That one's a little disturbing...

...26,610 miles in 19 months.
Yup, that is why this other part is relevant: "1 QC, virtually all others L2 charging to 100%."

The high mileage plus 100% charging (left at high SOC?) may be the key factors here. I am going to post info to the Wiki about high SOC from Weatherman's excellent PDF reference.

leafkabob said:
Stoaty, how about figuring Prescott, Arizona? It is about 100 miles north of Phoenix but at 5,300 ft. elevation.
Prescott, AZ - 0.88

Perhaps those in Phoenix can "summer" their Leaf in Prescott. ;)

A bit OT, but can anyone tell me how to include a PDF file in the Wiki and have it open in a tab when you click on the file? So far, all I have found is, for example, the following code:

[[file:NTB11-076a.pdf]]

which takes you to the a page on the Wiki with the file on it. You have to double click the file to view it. I assume there must be a way to avoid the intermediate step.

Edit: Found the solution: [[Media:NTB11-076a.pdf]]

Stoaty said:
RegGuheert said:
Stoaty said:
Oceanside, CA - 0.85
O.K. That one's a little disturbing...

...26,610 miles in 19 months.
Yup, that is why this other part is relevant: "1 QC, virtually all others L2 charging to 100%."

The high mileage plus 100% charging (left at high SOC?) may be the key factors here. I am going to post info to the Wiki about high SOC from Weatherman's excellent PDF reference.
Jimmydreams said he works near Miramar which is much warmer than Oceanside. Oceanside temps could be taken from the Oceanside Harbor where temps are significantly lower than anywhere else except on the bay near downtown San Diego (which are still typically a bit warmer). Even if they are taken from the airport the airport always has a great ocean breeze blowing and stays pretty cool compared to much of San Diego. 5 miles in any particular direction in San Diego can make a big difference in temperature.

Weatherman said:
What has surprised me, a bit, is how few complaints or comments we've seen from Hawaii residents.

I don't know if there are just so few LEAFs in Hawaii, they haven't been in use for very long or don't have very many miles on them, or that Hawaiians are a stoic bunch, but they've been very quiet.

Just came across this thread. Can't speak for others here (we see quite a few on the road, and I'm told Hawaii has the highest per-capita ownership in the U.S.) but we have no significant complaints.

We got our Leaf in April 2011, a bit over 4,800 miles so far in and around Honolulu. Only about a dozen charges have been to 100%, and it's never been quick-charged. 80% charging every day/ every other day in our garage.

The dealer listed our battery health at 5/5 stars at the one-year checkup. Since then, the only battery behavior change we've seen is that in the past few months the 80% charge timer will stop intermittently at 9 bars instead of 10. It's unlikely that is temperature related, since on balance this summer has been slightly cooler than last (both have been in the high 80s, max).

808pv said:
Weatherman said:
What has surprised me, a bit, is how few complaints or comments we've seen from Hawaii residents.

I don't know if there are just so few LEAFs in Hawaii, they haven't been in use for very long or don't have very many miles on them, or that Hawaiians are a stoic bunch, but they've been very quiet.

Just came across this thread. Can't speak for others here (we see quite a few on the road, and I'm told Hawaii has the highest per-capita ownership in the U.S.) but we have no significant complaints.

We got our Leaf in April 2011, a bit over 4,800 miles so far in and around Honolulu. Only about a dozen charges have been to 100%, and it's never been quick-charged. 80% charging every day/ every other day in our garage.

The dealer listed our battery health at 5/5 stars at the one-year checkup. Since then, the only battery behavior change we've seen is that in the past few months the 80% charge timer will stop intermittently at 9 bars instead of 10. It's unlikely that is temperature related, since on balance this summer has been slightly cooler than last (both have been in the high 80s, max).

4800 miles in 1½ years? is that right? wow!

808pv said:

Based on my recently developed model, you probably have about 88% of battery capacity remaining. Your low annual mileage (even compared to the Phoenix "average" of 7500), plus the fact that your environment is somewhat better than Phoenix for battery aging works in your favor. The low mileage and the slowing of calendar loss suggests it might still be a while before you lose your first capacity bar.

808pv said:
Sorry to bring you some reality :(

The biggest factor in your favor is the low annual miles. Keep it up and the car will serve you well for a long time. :p

*HOWEVER* ...

The annually required dealer's "5/5 star report" is *NOT* about battery HEALTH. Instead it is (supposed to be) an indicator of how well you have been treating the battery. Unfortunately a "5/5" does not prevent the degradation issues related to high miles (not in your case) or hot climate (in your case). And this report appears (IMHO) to be a very inaccurate predictor.

Your third sentence quoted above is *NOT* a logical conclusive analysis of the behaviour reported in the second sentence. Reason: the temperature (climate) related degradation effects (and its symptoms) are *cumulative* ... thus you did not see them in the first summer.

Did you lease or buy ?

Stoaty said:
Shannon, Ireland - 0.61
Dublin, Ireland - 0.58

Talk about the luck of the Irish! :D

Wiki updated.
Stoaty said:
San Diego 0.89

I came to San Diego for some conference, and I must admit that heat is extreme... I cannot imagine summers here and then I would melt in Phoenix. I think Nissan made a terrible mistake and from marketing point of view car with 70 mile range is not much more limitted if you have to avoid heated areas. In my opinion they did it because cold climate range effect is immediate, while in hot climate your cars are of initially very long range. On those exactly two days (I live near Shannon area) when my battery got 6TB from ambient heat I was able to drive and drive it like it was a petrol car (slight exageration). If I understand correctly fact that LEAF was introduced in those hot areas meant that in initial reviews nobody complained of range of 50 miles @50mph on colder day, so they could sell to colder places and later introduce cold pack - to make sure initial range is good while ignoring problems that would occur later.

Back