Steal Your Battery program: Any news? Hello Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
guessing cause leasers don't want to be leasers but Nissan's lack of information has given them little choice in the matter and ZERO opportunity to make an informed decision

BINGO.

The other reason I leased is because it was cheaper than buying outright. I don't have a $7500 tax liability, but Nissan was able to claim it and passed it all to me in the form of a down payment. If I buy out at the end of the lease, it will be cheaper than if I had purchased upfront.

same with me and my original plan was to lease, get the credit then do a buyout but then started thinking more long term and questioning the decision to buy EV version 1.0 and am now glad I did not buy especially since every MY since mine has had improvements. But I can still buy mine which makes me think maybe a poll for Leasers entitled

At what price for a battery replacement to at least 100% of your original battery capacity would cause you to buy at or before the end of your lease?

dm33 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
guessing cause leasers don't want to be leasers but Nissan's lack of information has given them little choice in the matter and ZERO opportunity to make an informed decision
I do wonder what nissan will do with all the lease returns. Resale value is likely not to be very good is the Leaf gets a reputation for worn out batteries. If replacement batteries were cheap... ever, then resale might make sense. The rest of the car should last much longer than an ICE drivetrain.

It would be great if they could take a few of them, clean them up, give them a cool wrap, and put them into "butts in seats" programs in markets where they want to sell more. Getting people in them is the number one way to sell them.

thank you to this wonderful community for demonstrating in 33 pages of comments (that nissan can read) that we care deeply about
--battery replacement price
--trade-in value and pricing of the old battery
--not being left at the mercy of dealerships in pricing the installation of a replacement battery.

and also that it is problematic being made to wait and wait for this information, but most of us will be satisfied if the replacement program is fairly priced.
not only are there supportive and clear comments here, but less than 5% of the ~60 who responded to a quickee poll elsewhere on the site said they dont care about this issue. and that is owners and leasees alike.

i know "some" people are tired of people keeping this thread at the top of the "Active topics" list but just kinda curious as to anyone else who think it coincidental that the CB SW update letters are being mailed out on the 21st??

anyone thinking we might be seeing some "other" info on those letters?

i plead guilty to that charge. happily. proudly.
i also think keeping this info out front supports those in nissan who believe that the slow-walking of battery information is harmful to their company.

a question:
CB SW?
CB software?
what is CB?

thankyouOB said:
i plead guilty to that charge. happily. proudly.
i also think keeping this info out front supports those in nissan who believe that the slow-walking of battery information is harmful to their company.

a question:
CB SW?
CB software?
what is CB?

capacity bar. sorry thought the Acro's were obvious considering the reaction to initital reports of possible capacity being returned (waaaay too early to tell!! so dont be quoting me on that!) from the software update

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
thankyouOB said:
(and that includes LEAF leasers/ that is everyone; not just owners.)
That makes little sense. I don't see how leasers care - the whole point of leasing is to not go thr' the anxiety some owners apparently have.

Because many leasers would prefer that conditions be favorable such that it makes sense to purchase their car at the end of the lease instead of leasing/buying a new one? Or they think these issues are important for the EV community as a whole?

QueenBee said:
Because many leasers would prefer that conditions be favorable such that it makes sense to purchase their car at the end of the lease instead of leasing/buying a new one? Or they think these issues are important for the EV community as a whole?

good one.

OK.
this must be the week.

related thread here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how about a poll on what day this week nissan announces the battery replacement program?
it has to be this week, right? yes or no?

Hang in there, thahnkyouOB! I think the longer Nissan waits to announce the price, the better it is for us in the long run -- as the TN plant ramps up, the battery price drops. This means the replacement costs gets less expensive every day. The problem is dealing with the FUD until the price is announced.

J.

thanks for the endorsement.^^^
My postion:
--we want a fair price for a battery replacement
--we want a fair price for the trade in
--we want a reasonable charge for the install

we want this set by nissan not the dealership.

recall that i was charged 3k+ by a dealership as subcontractor for having my battery pulled, stored and reinstalled for a repair & painting.

jhm614 said:
Hang in there, thahnkyouOB! I think the longer Nissan waits to announce the price, the better it is for us in the long run -- as the TN plant ramps up, the battery price drops. This means the replacement costs gets less expensive every day. The problem is dealing with the FUD until the price is announced.

J.

That's the variable that makes the whole BEV world so much different from the heavily established ICE world. The battery price will continue to decline over time. I'm sure Nissan doesn't want to lose future customers by placing the price too high. Nor do they want to lose a lot of money by subsidizing each pack and encouraging people to buy them up and use them for other purposes.

As for the day this week, my money is still on Thursday, June 20th. It's still spring.

GetOffYourGas said:
As for the day this week, my money is still on Thursday, June 20th. It's still spring.

Maybe if we all go out the evening of the 20th 'Moon clad' and perform a ritualistic dance we'll get what we seek. :mrgreen:

GetOffYourGas said:
The battery price will continue to decline over time. I'm sure Nissan doesn't want to lose future customers by placing the price too high. Nor do they want to lose a lot of money by subsidizing each pack and encouraging people to buy them up and use them for other purposes.
I'm not sure a high price would necessarily scare off too many customers. People already expect electronics prices to decline over time, and could expect the same happening here. Nissan could even set the expectation with a price schedule. E.g., they could say the price to exchange a battery in 2013 for all customers who bought by the end of 2013 will be $5000; the price to exchange in 2014 will be $4500, 2015 $4000, 2016 $3500; hurry and buy now to lock in these prices; with Nissan financing we'll even roll your 2018 battery replacement into your financing package.

They need not worry about people using them for other purposes, because they can set a high price for the new battery minus a high trade-in value for the old battery. They could worry about people buying a too-cheap battery replacement when they don't really need it. Someone with 5% battery degradation and severe range anxiety, exacerbated by poor instrumentation that makes it difficult to quantify the degradation, could insist on a new battery.

To some degree they've addressed this in the U.S. with the installation of QC stations at Nissan dealers to supplement the badly lagging public charging infrastructure. If my choice is between a battery replacement or a too high risk of needing a tow, then I'll go for the new battery. But if my choice is between a $5,000 battery replacement or every other week randomly needing a $5-10 quick charge, I'll go for the quick charges.

yes, QC network would help.
i have dropped one regular trip (once a month) from my car usage, but otherwise i dont have a worry.

i wonder if nissan knows whether they are announcing tomorrow or thursday?

Thank you, thankyouOB, for your persistence on this issue. Personally, I probably won't ever replace the pack in my purchased LEAF unless it's really cheap and/or we can buy a higher capacity replacement. But it would give us comfort to know that pack replacement is an option if our LEAF's capacity drops more than expected in the coming years.

June 20 is the date on which Tesla Motors plans to make a big announcement on battery swapping. Yet it may be some time before Tesla vehicle owners realize any practical benefits. For those of us who care about LEAF battery replacement costs, perhaps June 20 would be a good date for Nissan to make an announcement as well.

It seems to me that every time Nissan posts something of note, they do it on a Friday, late in the afternoon. While I don’t like that approach, I’m betting a virtual lunch that’s what they’ll do this time too.

FairwoodRed said:
It seems to me that every time Nissan posts something of note, they do it on a Friday, late in the afternoon. While I don’t like that approach, I’m betting a virtual lunch that’s what they’ll do this time too.

Standard PR Department trick to "bury" news. Nobody pays any real attention to news that breaks over the weekend. ;)

mwalsh said:
Standard PR Department trick to "bury" news. Nobody pays any real attention to news that breaks over the weekend. ;)

The internet has changed that, since we are all connected most of the time. No peace for the wicked. :twisted:

Back