Steal Your Battery program: Any news? Hello Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dumped my HP printer because of the too expensive ink among other reasons.
I dumped my Sony projection tv due to high cost and short life of the bulbs among other reasons.
Same will happen to Nissan if they need to make gobs of money on battery replacements.
The costs add up and I move on.

GetOffYourGas said:
One of the perpetual points of the naysayers is that an EV will require an expensive new battery every 5 years. I hope that Nissan doesn't prove them right.
Judging by the degradation in Phoenix, it seems those there and other similar hot climates might need it, otherwise many there would be left w/a car w/only a very short range. :(

As for the FUD in general, I've heard such garbage from anti-hybrid folks w/such a number or even 2-3 years. :roll: Right... they don't realize that hybrids typically have 8 year/100K HV battery warranties and many (the AT-PZEV ones) have 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranties in CA and CARB states.

BTW, I don't think folks bumping this post every day or two is going to change things much... as I said before, from the vagaries of the time period given ("spring", possibly "in spring", I don't think it was "by spring"), I believe they have until June 20th...

^^^^
i have been told by the advisory group that it is a good thing to show Andy that we are concerned about when and what Nissan will be saying about the battery replacement program.
it helps them when they bring it up with him.
"bumping" the topic and keeping it alive is productive and I intend to keep at it.

My latest belief is that Nissan will charge $5k with a core exchange.. this is a reasonable price and Nissan will not take a financial bath since very few customers will likely go for it anytime in the next 5 years, by then batteries should be cheaper.. and there is precedent for $5k charges, look at what getting a rebuilt transmission for your car will cost you..

That $5k 24kWh battery you buy in 2018 from Nissan may be half empty and half the weight...

Nissan just announced a battery lease program in the UK which somewhat matches what Renault did with the Zoe - £16k to purchase the car w/out battery pack then £70 monthly for the pack. Hope that's not what they're getting ready to announce here. No real problem with the battery lease idea, except that it's not readily apparent it will do existing owners any good:

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/4/11/nissan-to-offer-battery-lease-option-on-leaf/46747/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Nissan just announced a battery lease program in the UK which somewhat matches what Renault did with the Zoe - £16k to purchase the car w/out battery pack then £70 monthly for the pack. Hope that's not what they're getting ready to announce here. No real problem with the battery lease idea, except that it's not readily apparent it will do existing owners any good:

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/4/11/nissan-to-offer-battery-lease-option-on-leaf/46747/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see nothing wrong with offering battery leasing as an option. Here are the three options Nissan can offer with such a scheme.

1. Buy both car and battery - IE Traditional Outright Purchase
2. Buy car lease battery - New option for battery leasing with lower cost car.
3. Lease Car and Lease Battery - Like a traditional lease.

One thing leasing a battery may provide is flexibility up upgrade or downgrade to different size packs depending upon changing circumstances. For example my commute will double with a new job on Monday. If I leased say a 18kWh pack, but next week upgrade to the 32kWh pack to meet my new schedule, how cool is that!?! Only buy what you'll need on a regular basis.

Clearly there would need to be fees for swapping capacities, you couldn't change them like underwear.

mwalsh said:
The thing that I found interesting is the price difference on buying vs leasing the battery pack was 5000 pounds. Convert that to USD and get about 7700 dollars.

Could this also be the price of a replacing a battery pack ?

KJD said:
mwalsh said:
The thing that I found interesting is the price difference on buying vs leasing the battery pack was 5000 pounds. Convert that to USD and get about 7700 dollars.

there ought to be a value to the pack that I am trading in, and also an install price.

KJD said:
mwalsh said:

I noticed that too. Does that mean the price of replacing a battery pack is $7,700? I doubt it, but it's certainly related. It seems safe to conclude it will be less than $10,000. Yet I keep reading the current battery prices are $500/kWh. That would be $12,000 for our 24kWh battery.

It certainly appears such will be the case with mine in five years! And that is here in "temporate" Los Angeles... Thank God I won't still own it then!

cwerdna said:
GetOffYourGas said:
One of the perpetual points of the naysayers is that an EV will require an expensive new battery every 5 years. I hope that Nissan doesn't prove them right.
Judging by the degradation in Phoenix, it seems those there and other similar hot climates might need it, otherwise many there would be left w/a car w/only a very short range. :(

For mild climates there is no need to even consider battery swap. Most of the Leafs must have lost only a miniscule range at this point. Emphasizing - mild climate.

I would be however highly motivated to swap my battery if my range dropped by about 10 miles (or say 15 miles). Or if there was a breathrough in chemistry density available for the Leaf.

I'd take anything short of a devil that puts me over 100 mile range, folks. I am so done with 70-mile range. And looking back I do feel duped by the original 100-mile claim that hooked me in the first place.

batteryproblemmnl
ILETRIC said:
For mild climates there is no need to even consider battery swap. Most of the Leafs must have lost only a miniscule range at this point. Emphasizing - mild climate.
Yes, and you probably realize that this depends on the definition of the words "mild" and "minuscule", right? :) Probably also on individual range requirements. Tesla's success has demonstrated that the market will pay a premium for range, and what you say makes a lot of sense in that regard. The remaining question is, would buyers consider getting an affordable short-range EV in the future? And how do they feel about loss of range, is that something worth insuring or protecting? So far, the answer seems to be yes.

Andy,
I need this info.
Nissan dealer wants to pitch buying my 2011 and replacing with a 2013.
if I dont know the battery price I cant do the deal, as I would want to know the cost of my main option.
love.
your customer.

Don't hold your breath OB! :lol:

thankyouOB said:
Andy,
I need this info.
Nissan dealer wants to pitch buying my 2011 and replacing with a 2013.
if I dont know the battery price I cant do the deal, as I would want to know the cost of my main option.

Back