State of Texas thinks my car is gasoline powered.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I just got the renewal form in the mail for my Texas tags. They list the fuel type as gasoline. I wonder if that is a mistake, or if their computer simply doesn't yet have an option for electric in the database.

adric22 said:
I just got the renewal form in the mail for my Texas tags. They list the fuel type as gasoline. I wonder if that is a mistake, or if their computer simply doesn't yet have an option for electric in the database.

That is perfect...now you won't have to pay the EV road tax surcharge.

coqui said:
mark13 said:
Hmm is it asking you take the car in for a emmision test next..
LOL where do they stick the probe in? :lol:

Was a bit curious so I checked for vehicle inspections and emissions check for Texas ... they exempt diesel but no mention of electric (other than slow speed NEV's) so you should have some fun when you have to bring it in! At least here in IL, with an electric vehicle plate we won't be getting any 'time to bring your car in to get checked' notices -- looks like a lot of states will need to catch up

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/

See if you can locate any EV conversion clubs (Web sites) in your state. They have lived through this stuff already. I can point you to similar articles in California. Fortunately for me, they got it right on my title.

There is the North Texas Electric Auto Assoc (http://www.nteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) here in DFW, but I haven't heard this discussed at any meetings yet. The fact is, I don't view Texas as "EV friendly", so I'm wondering if something proactive needs to be done regarding vehicle inspections.

Back in 2007, when I had finished converting a 1994 Saturn to electric drive, I went to the tag office to register it. The attendant was incredibly confused and kept asking about the emissions certificate even after showing her the ZEV certificate issued by the dept. of natural resources.

At one point, after explaining that it uses batteries and not a gasoline engine, she asked if I was sure about not needing gasoline and then she asked "but you have to put gasoline in the batteries, right?"

I'm not making this up... :roll:

amtoro said:
Back in 2007, when I had finished converting a 1994 Saturn to electric drive, I went to the tag office to register it. The attendant was incredibly confused and kept asking about the emissions certificate even after showing her the ZEV certificate issued by the dept. of natural resources.
I'm not making this up... :roll:

Where did you get this "ZEV" certificate and what does it look like? Are you even in Texas?

I occasionally encounter people who insist that my car must use some gas somewhere, and that there could not possibly be a vehicle that does not use oil products.

When I had one guy walk all around the car looking for a tailpipe or a gas tank, after opening the charging port and showing him both the QC and J1772 inputs, he finished with a look of suspicious befuddlement.

Stanton said:
There is the North Texas Electric Auto Assoc (http://www.nteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) here in DFW, but I haven't heard this discussed at any meetings yet. The fact is, I don't view Texas as "EV friendly", so I'm wondering if something proactive needs to be done regarding vehicle inspections.
I was sort of kicked out of the NTEAA about a year ago over differences of opinion.

That being said, I actually converted a gas vehicle to electric a few years back. I never bothered changing the title. However, I did get it inspected. Despite the title saying GAS on it, the place doing the inspection obviously could tell that it was electric and did not require the emissions inspection. So I don't think it will particularly be a problem when it comes time to inspect it.

Stanton said:
Where did you get this "ZEV" certificate and what does it look like? Are you even in Texas?

I live in Atlanta as my info says on the left :D .

The LEV/ZEV certificate is issued for free by the Department of Natural Resources through the Environmental Protection Division; it is required for filing the form requesting the $5,000 tax credit from the State of Georgia and it *may* be requested if you apply for an Alternative Fuel Vehicle license plate, although I'm not sure of that specific case.

It looks like this: http://www.georgiaepd.org/Files_PDF/forms/apb/apb_LEVZEVTAX.pdf

For vehicles registered in any of the twenty-something counties in the Atlanta metro area, an emission certificate is required.

I got my Texas plate renewal recently, and they also have my Leaf classified as 'gas'. I'm going to ignore it for now, as I don't know what to expect if I try and wake that sleepy dog.

Thanks to a head's up from forum members, I knew to check the dealer's paperwork (calif.) before it was submitted to the DMV. There was a box on the papers "motive power" and it had the code for gas. I had them change it to E. Otherwise, I think I would having been fighting the DMV forever to be exempt from smog certification.

Its probably in Texas's system that there is no electric option (sad). But as for the emissions test, the Texas Administrative Code specifically calls "capable of being powered by gasoline" as needing emissions test [37 TAC §23.93(6)]. This means that both diesel and electric cars (or CNG, hydrogen, etc.) are exempt from emissions test in non-attainment counties for air quality. Usually in the standard state inspection computer system, there is only a choice for gas or diesel, so in the inspection process, make sure your vehicle choosen as diesel so emissions test won't occur. Better yet, take it to a nissan dealership because they probably have more experience with dealing with the leaf versus your local mom & pop oil lube place that does state inspections (its the same price no matter where you go fyi).

Vehicle Registrations are handled by the local county tax collector, so if you really want to get some answers go to the local tax collector and ask some questions.

garygid said:
As I vaguely recall, somebody had difficulty registering an
all-electric motorcycle ih Texas.

Or, was that somewhere else?
Could be somewhere else. We do actually wear shoes and eat with utensils here.

There are a handful of Tesla Roadsters in Austin. At the last National Plug-In Day, there were all manners of OEM all-electric vehicles (RAV, Ford Ranger pick-up, mopeds) and conversions (Boxster, Triumph buy-eye Sprite, Suzuki Katana, Toyota MR2, etc.). I didn't hear anybody say anything about having a hard time with the TXDOT.

Back