SPX L2 EVSE 15A, Voltec

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
once again, i went back to my electrician contractor connection and he was pretty surprised about the price and is suspicious. 6 months ago, he stated a unit could be built in the $500 range (that would include decent profit, materials, labor, etc). but he was surprised a regular company would offer a price that is essentially a wholesale price that would normally be reserved for very high volume or special customers.

he also asked me why i called it SPX when its called voltex? i tried the link on my phone and not sure what he is referring to. wont have access to regular computer until saturday. (currently out of town)

is anyone going to buy one?

There are two different EVSEs being discussed here, the $490 15A Voltex and the 32A SPX (unknown price). Apparently the "SPX" company sells both.

So, we need to retitle this thread to include "16A Voltex" and split out the 32A SPX posts to another thread specific to that very-different EVSE.

OK, if "you/plural" are willing to kick in for my EVSE as a test example...

8 - ))

I have both the VOLT and the LEAF on order with my VOLT coming as the FIRST customer car from Fairfield Chevrolet (between SF and Sacramento) and my LEAF confirmed buy order placed on 8/31.....

Sacramento is one of the "free EVSE" sites for the VOLT, so my basic unit would/should be "free" as one of the very first to receive that car. My garage is already prewired with a 240v/40amp circuit blocked off right on the inside of the garage. I had that prewiring done last year when I added another 7 solar panel system to our previous 18 panel array.

George Parrott
W. Sacramento

I created another thread for the 32A Plug-In EVSE by SPX, so a mod could pull some posts from here to there, if they want.

Here, we can continue to discuss the $490 16A Voltec EVSE being sold by SPX.

Presumably this 16A "Voltec" EVSE is just being sold Volt "Owners"?

driveleaf said:
Good luck.

I just tried to order one. I was told they are not available yet, and that I would have to provide my Volt order number in order to purchase. (So now we need to know their order number structure.)

Hmmm ... I was going to say I'm a non-rollout state and I want the evse this year to get the 50% off.

OFF TOPIC but maybe not

anyone else being flooded with spam to their email?
When I tried to go the this EVSE link firefox gave me
a warning. So many of you had visited that I went
ahead and OK'd it.

All of a sudden my hotmail account is getting tons of
trash spam. That was the only site that I visited of
questionable origin. Probably not related but I
thought that I would check.

hodad66 said:
OFF TOPIC but maybe not

anyone else being flooded with spam to their email?
When I tried to go the this EVSE link firefox gave me
a warning. So many of you had visited that I went
ahead and OK'd it.

All of a sudden my hotmail account is getting tons of
trash spam. That was the only site that I visited of
questionable origin. Probably not related but I
thought that I would check.
Nope, no spam issues here. The warning was related to their SSL certificate. Common issue...

I noticed other sites showing that the finalized price quote Volt users have been getting for installation (basic) was about $1475...

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/1010_2011_chevrolet_volt_home_charging_station_install/index.html

Why are companies price gouging installation of these? Has anybody attempted getting one of these chargers? I like the price and simplicity of this one, but now I'm curious to know how much it will cost for a local electrician to install..

Maybe the picture is deceiving but the voltec seems to have a thinner and lighter cord. Would seem to be based on #12 wire instead of the #8 required by larger units. Even the Leviton 16a seems to have the same heavy thick cord same as the 32a model. I may want to wait for the Voltec to be widely available or something else that includes the lighter and more flexible cord.

smkettner said:
Maybe the picture is deceiving but the voltec seems to have a thinner and lighter cord. Would seem to be based on #12 wire instead of the #8 required by larger units. Even the Leviton 16a seems to have the same heavy thick cord same as the 32a model. I may want to wait for the Voltec to be widely available or something else that includes the lighter and more flexible cord.
While the cord does appear to be lighter, that does not necessarily mean more flexible.

smkettner said:
A volt owner could make some money reselling these Voltec charging docks on ebay
(hint, hint)

yes, they could. How much do ou want to bet they get VERY suspicous when they order their 3rd, 4th and 5th units?
probably will only seel them 1 or 2...

Back