Spare Tire on 2015 model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KSarge said:
Great work on the spare tire job! :)

My only question is, can someone confirm the 16" emergency spare from an Altima (135-90-16) will also work on the Leaf with 17" rims (in our case, a '16 SL)?

I have tried searching the board and cannot find a definitive answer.

I want to pick up a spare to keep in the garage, but just wondering if a 16" spare will work, and not cause issues with the traction control or anything else...

Thanks!

Kevin
The t135/90 R16 I bought from a junkyard c/w jack that fits and wrench works . See this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14081&start=30#p323815.
I actually drove with it for about 5 km on the front which I guess is a no-no but it worked without issue on my 13 SL using P215 50 R17 Michelin.
When I actually have to use it in the future, if the flat is on the front, I will jack up the back first, put on the spare and rotate the back to the front flat position.
The actual size difference: 25.5 inches on the spare and 25.75 inches on the Michelin 17", and getting less as wear increases.

LeftieBiker said:
There is already a topic - or two - on this. I used the existing drain hole in the bottom of the rear cargo area: there is a rubber grommet in it, which I removed and drilled (it's much easier to replace or repair a grommet than a hole in the metal floor, if you lease the car) so I could maneuver a piece of folded drilled steel strap into the hole, which I then used to secure a J-bolt to hold the wheel in place. You don't want the spare to be loose in the rear of the car, as it can and will become a projectile in a crash. If you search "spare" here you should find the topics. The Altima spare I used is quite large for a donut, and it required that I remove the bolts that hold the Bose subwoofer in place - those can be slightly relocated with little brackets.

You can use the existing rear cargo mat as a template, for both a plywood spare cover and another piece of indoor-outdoor carpeting to protect the area. I found it was easiest to cut the wood cover at one end to get it in, so I hinged it and made a little access door to the space alongside the spare.

Would you share a bit about moving the Bose sub and what brackets you used to push it forward some? I have the same 16" Altima spare and its snug. I have half a mind to mount it someplace else entirely and extend the cables maybe to the back of the back seat?

Would you share a bit about moving the Bose sub and what brackets you used to push it forward some? I have the same 16" Altima spare and its snug. I have half a mind to mount it someplace else entirely and extend the cables maybe to the back of the back seat?

I'm sorry to say I just left the bolts out. I was going to fabricate little 1" brackets to stagger the sub far enough away, but never got to it. I do have a suggestion that I'm also going to try, though: leave the bolts in, and deflate the spare as much as you can without breaking the bead - maybe 20psi. That may allow the spare to deform enough to fit with the bolts in place, and you have the little compressor to re-inflate it if needed.

Back