SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
garygid said:
Notice:
A Cluster meeting at HTB (on 17th in Santa Ana)
this coming Saturday morning (6 Aug) at 9 AM.

Maybe just to give an SOC Kit to Tom.
But, others are welcome.

Maybe an introductory Workshop on SOC Meter building.

I'll be there, just to hang with you wild and crazy guys! :)
Great that you can join us, Phil. I will plan to get there closer to 8:30 rather than 9:00. There will be a reason to take a new picture of my Leaf. This time I have cash.

Nine people (A&C, C&B, Gregg, Mike, Tom, Phil, and myself)
with 6 LEAFs, Blue, Silver, and White but no Red or Black.
Quite a nice turn-out for a "quickie" Cluster Meeting.

I stopped in at the Cars and Coffee from 8 to 8:15
on the way to HTB, and we all had a great time.

Tom and Allen each got a Blue SOC-Meter Kit.

Mike showed his Red Kit working on his "retro" mount
(a piece of cardboard). But, working well, it appeard.

Thanks to all who took the effort to attend!

Today I finished new (Rev 7) Assembly Instructions for the SOC Meter Kit
(a pdf file now available at www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/socmeter/ ).

Now, I need to build at least one SOC-Meter to ship to San Jose tomorrow,
so that it can be shown at the SF Gathering this coming weekend.

I see mwalsh is on line. Do you know about the meeting on Aug. 13? I and my wife are planing to go.

al

garygid said:
SoCal LEAF Gathering on 13 Aug at the HTB in Cerritos.
(East of 605 and North of South St.)
We're up in the Flathead Valley MT right now ... but heading back to So Cal later today. I wonder how long it'll be before the 1st Leaf gets delevered to Big Sky country. It'd be WAY cool to make the trip to St. Mary Lake via Going To the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. I predict 5 bars regen traveling back down. Anyway see you all back at Cerritos Nissan!
Kiacking2.jpg

Reminder:
The Gathering this coming Saturday (13 Aug) is at Hometown Buffet
(in Cerritos), located just East of 605 and North of South St,
which is the first exit South of the 605/91 intersection.

CU There.
I will have adaptor cords, and four SOC-Meter Kits available.

I'm going to do my best to be there. It will be interesting to try a little more distance than I usually travel each day. I'm looking at about 62 miles roundtrip. I know, I know, everyone else has gone farther, but I'm still not used to that much distance. Still, it should be just fine.

Danny said:
I'm going to do my best to be there. It will be interesting to try a little more distance than I usually travel each day. I'm looking at about 62 miles roundtrip. I know, I know, everyone else has gone farther, but I'm still not used to that much distance. Still, it should be just fine.

You will definitely be fine--I did 62 miles RT today on my commute work, and now I know that I have 34.1% of charge left thanks to garygid's SOC meter. The guess bars were telling me 25%, which I already knew were a load of...shall we say....compost. Of the 62 miles, 90% of it was freeway at 60 MPH.

garygid said:
Reminder:
The Gathering this coming Saturday (13 Aug) is at Hometown Buffet
(in Cerritos), located just East of 605 and North of South St,
which is the first exit South of the 605/91 intersection.
I'll be there!

CAUTION and WARNING:
Please remember that the SOC-Meter is only showing the LEAF's internal number, and that the bottom (and very top) parts of the SOC scale are NOT really "fully charged". Yes, you get LESS energy/range than the SOC-value would lead you to believe.

garygid said:
CAUTION and WARNING:
Please remember that the SOC-Meter is only showing the LEAF's internal number, and that the bottom (and very top) parts of the SOC scale are NOT really "fully charged". Yes, you get LESS energy/range than the SOC-value would lead you to believe.

Odd place for this? But I'll bite, since I have a related question. :D

The upper bar has been quite predictable - I loose it quickly because a) I'm not starting at 100% SOC and b) I've got little to no regen. What would I would expect the very last bar to be like? I've been down into use of the last-but-one before, and seen it to be as predictable as the ones preceding it. However, I have always avoided needing the final one. But I've always assumed that I wouldn't get a full measure of range from it, and would instead get maybe a half-measure (or ~3-4 miles). Is that a reasonable expectation? One of these days I'll have to get down that far deliberately and run her dry.

The caution was because of the "gascant" post up about 6 posts.
I did not want our "family" to be mislead by the SOC-Meter's displayed numbers.

The last Old-Bar (or the last half of the New-Bar hidden reserve) is not any "fixed" capacity, I believe.

I think it can "contain" (represent) much less USABLE energy from day to day, depending upon the equilization of the battery, the condition of the "lowest" (least capacity) cell-pair, temperature, etc.

So, even for your specific car and battery, the pseudo "SOC" number that we are reading from the EV-CAN buss ... does NOT tell the full story about when your LEAF, on that particular day, will stop moving (IMO).

Reminder:
SoCal Gathering tomorrow morning at Hometown Buffet in Cerritos.
First exit off 605 south of 91
Go East about 3 blocks on South Street, and turn North into the Shopping Center area.

See you there, Gary

I think the point with the SOC gauge is that it gives you the confidence to go the distance that you have in mind. There's been a separate thread about people seeing widely variable charge depletion rates with the bars. I have seen it myself--Monday morning commute to the office might use 5 bars whereas Friday's uses 4 under identical weather conditions and traffic patterns. I've still got my head around 85 miles total range on a single, 100% charge. However, my wife and I are planning a trip up to Napa Valley, which is ~78 miles one way (but there may be hills). I'm confident that I'd make it but knowing the SOC behavior will dictate whether a stop along the way is needed.

Hi SoCal folks, I made 3 pilgrimages today so I thought I would report:
1. Went to Mitsubishi in Cypress and our LEAF got its first L3 charge. Maurice (Moe) Durand was very gracious in unlocking the station (I had called ahead) and then was there with me chatting. I took it to 80% which was enough. While waiting for Moe, there were eventually about 7 people about, looking all over my LEAF inside and out, mostly their marketing folks. We had a lively discussion. I met Gregory Adams vice president of marketing and product planning who also came out to chat. A great experience! Here is a picture http://flic.kr/p/acsYUH
2. Went in search of the rumored GM charging stations in Torrance. The short report is yes they do exist but sadly, they are not for public use. They are at the GM powertrain advanced technology vehicle center at 2990 Lomita Blvd. Torrance, CA. It is right next to Torrance Memorial Hospital. There is a short driveway right off of Lomita into a small lot in front of their bldg. with about 10 spaces. 4 of the spaces are L2 stations. No L1. Two are Voltec brand and 2 looked like Chargepoint types. I talked to 3 very nice young people who came out the service bay when I stuck my head in to hail someone. I asked if I could charge. They looked at each other and shrugged "no one has ever asked" and one went off to ask permission and came back with "only for an emergency". They are gathering data from them for their own cars and do not want to mess up their data. They are not meant to be public. The disappointment is....they are so accessible! No locked gate or anything. They are on 24 hours and they are activated. But for the sake of good will and harmony, do not use. I did my best to advocate one for all and all for one, etc. They did say that someday (not sure when) their bldg. next door would have a solar canopy and public charging. They did say they had to leave a polite note on a Leaf that was showing up very often (someone who worked nearby maybe) and plugging in to charge. They never saw the person. I assume the note said to stop. So I drove away without charging.
3. Took my nephew back to UCLA tonight and we went on a night adventure to see if the fabled L2 stations existed in Lot 9 as I had heard via a faculty colleague. And yes, they do! Just as you enter Lot 9, off to the left near the disabled parking. There are 4 spaces. One is an old small paddle. One is an old Avcon (not sure I have that name right) and 2 were covered with blue canvas. I said to my nephew..."are you game? Let's uncover them and see if they work!" The spaces for these were cone-ed off so I pulled in to the old charging station space next to one. I pulled the cover off (me with cover! http://flic.kr/p/acsYJi and sure enough, they were lit up to beat the band. They are not free. They will take all major credit cards and the chargepoint card which I had but no money loaded on so I used my Visa. They are like the stations at LAX with L2 and Level 1. Using the card will release the level you want. Nice display. Charge is $2 per hour and you have to pay to park there, too. Why are they covered and cone-ed? Don't know. Maybe they are having a ribbon cutting or something. My nephew and I looked around waiting to be nabbed in the act but no problem. He got a kick out of the experience. I think he thinks I am nuts. Too much exposure to this forum, I guess.

So that's my report...a full day!

Kat

Back