SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure Boomer is volunteering you use of his in the PM he sent you. But I'm pretty sure you could borrow mine, if that's not the case. Which has the added advantage of already being modified! Though I have a L15-20 plug on mine which we'll probably have to adapt out to anything else you'd want to use with a 240v circuit (however, I do also have an adapter cord down to a standard 5-15 plug for 120v use).

Mike, that's very generous. I think that your offer would trump mine, since JPV could charge at L2 at work, I believe.

Aren't we a friendly group, though?

OMG! Boomer? mwalsh? L1? L2? I actually get to pick?!
You guys are awesome. We can talk further on Sat. morning. But, I will accept whomever's is the 'least inconvenient' for either of you to be without. In either case, I can deliver to your location of choice (home) once my glorious-Ingineerized-L1/L2-EVSE is complete. ;)

BTW, work's 240v outlets have what I believe are NEMA 14-50's. I vaguely remember that garygid has some adaptors for sale?

(My order from Ingineer includes the 120v adaptor and a pigtail.)

JPVLeaf said:
You guys are awesome. We can talk further on Sat. morning. But, I will accept whomever's is the 'least inconvenient' for either of you to be without. In either case, I can deliver to your location of choice (home) once my glorious-Ingineerized-L1/L2-EVSE is complete. ;)

BTW, work's 240v outlets have what I believe are NEMA 14-50's. I vaguely remember that garygid has some adaptors for sale?

(My order from Ingineer includes the 120v adaptor and a pigtail.)

I don't think that Gary is selling adapters, but you might be able to borrow one from him or mwalsh or someone else.

Thanks Gary! One of these days I'll try to meet up. I'm just getting over a sinus thing and so my sleep cycle is all messed up. Right now I'm waking up at 10am. It's not what I am used too!

JPVLeaf said:

BTW, work's 240v outlets have what I believe are NEMA 14-50's.

OK, then what I suggest is that I/we buy a 14-50 plug and socket set to replace the 15-20 set already on my unit and I will happily accept those (or the cost of them) as "rental"? I've been meaning to get my own adapter set going anyhow.

As far as being without....I have nothing planned for the next week (or the week after that I know of) requiring that I recharge away from home. Do you intend to send yours off on Monday?

EricH said:
I had the software upgrade done at Cerritos on May 24 - it took a little over 2 hours because (they said) they had to re-install the software on their upgrade device. I was late for a meeting so they gave me a voucher for an Enterprise rental (the office is 100 yds from the Nissan service desk - quite convenient) and it was ready when I returned.

However, Cerritos Nissan is probably ~25 miles from you; you might also try Performance Nissan off the 210 in Monrovia. Avoid Puente Hills; my purchase/delivery experience was quite negative (they used the Leaf's scarcity to cram down unwanted options/features, citing 'dealership policy').

I will get there before they open Saturday, grab a charge while waiting for them to open (hopefully), and get the upgrade while we talk and eat. 25 miles will be a nice joy cruise.

mwalsh said:
OK, then what I suggest is that I/we buy a 14-50 plug and socket set to replace the 15-20 set already on my unit and I will happily accept those (or the cost of them) as "rental"? I've been meaning to get my own adapter set going anyhow.
Hi, mwalsh. Thanks for the offer. Please see my PM. Also, just reread your post. You'd like to replace an existing L6-20 to 15-20 adaptor? I didn't quite follow the '14-50 plug and socket set'. How about a 14-50P to make an L6-20-to-14-50P adaptor, which you can keep, to go along with the mod'd EVSE with L6-20P? (I might be missing something, not a big surprise.) ;)

I think Mike has a different plug on his EVSE, not the now-standard L6-20P.

I do not recall what plug his Mod-L1 EVSE has, what connectors his adapter (if any) has, and what his wall socket is.

I suspect he plugs directly (no adapter) into his wall socket.

Maybe he will explain better?

Sorry, my source of low-cost L6-20R pigtails (for making socket-adapters for my friends) has no more. :(

But, if I can help, please let me know.

garygid said:
I think Mike has a different plug on his EVSE, not the now-standard L6-20P.

I do not recall what plug his Mod-L1 EVSE has, what connectors his adapter (if any) has, and what his wall socket is.

I suspect he plugs directly (no adapter) into his wall socket.

Maybe he will explain better?

Sorry, my source of low-cost L6-20R pigtails (for making socket-adapters for my friends) has no more. :(

But, if I can help, please let me know.

You are correct Gary, I do have the non-standard L15-20 fitted to my EVSE, and I do generally use mine without an adapter (except for the one that gets me to a 5-15 for 120v use). So at a bare minimum I would need to change out the 5-15 for a 14-50 on the one pigtail I do have, so JPVLeaf can charge at 240v.

But what I should probably do, so I can give her pigtails for both 240v and 120v charging, is change my EVSE plug to a L6-20 and then create 2 new pigtails - a L6-20 to 14-50 for JPVLeaf to use and a L6-20 to L15-20 for myself. That would be easier on her, should there be a problem that would preclude her using 240v and having to resort to 120v (since in my bare minimum scenario she wouldn't actually have a 5-15 120v pigtail).

JPVLeaf, it was the L6-20 to 14-50 pigtail that I'd create for your use that I was suggesting might be appropriate reimbursement for using my EVSE.

Gary, where you might be able to help....should I go out today and not find any 14-50 plugs...do you still have any of those spare at least?

Boomer23 said:
. . . . . . . . . . . . snip
As for how many will be going, we had about 30 people last month, and about 10 LEAFs. With all of the new deliveries, I wouldn't be surprised if there were 20 LEAFs there and 40 or more people. Cerritos Nissan tends to suggest that potential new buyers come to our meetings to meet us and learn what they can.
... so ... with bigger crowds likely, is there a subtly couched hint buried in there that maybe some of us old timer leaf owners might consider bowing out gracefully for the good of the newb's ? If so, I don't mind.
btw ... are there (still?) plans for folks showing up at Irvine Spectrum's next "Cars And Coffee" event?

hill said:
is there a subtly couched hint buried in there that maybe some of us old timer leaf owners might consider bowing out gracefully for the good of the newb's ? If so, I don't mind.

Woah, I missed that! If so, then I think for the good of the burgeoning organization, I think we need to thank Cerritos Nissan for their hospitality, but move on. It was tight last month as it was.

mwalsh said:
hill said:
is there a subtly couched hint buried in there that maybe some of us old timer leaf owners might consider bowing out gracefully for the good of the newb's ? If so, I don't mind.

Woah, I missed that! If so, then I think for the good of the burgeoning organization, I think we need to thank Cerritos Nissan for their hospitality, but move on. It was tight last month as it was.

Nooooo, noo, no, no, no. No suggestion of anything of the kind. All are welcome. And you guys know me, I don't run things around here, though I do tend to open my yap sometimes.

Someone just asked how many people come to the meetings and I answered with a number and said that Cerritos Nissan likes to offer attendance at our meetings to some of their prospective customers so that they can hear from and talk to us. At least that is what I was trying to say.

Geez, please no bowing out. I personally love to see everyone there, and I think that the newbies tend to come to hear from us oldbies. So get your arses to Cerritos tomorrow you guys, and let's here nothing further of this subtle hint stuff!

And yes, I'm planning to go to Cars & Coffee next week and I'm hoping that some others do, too.

Yessssss, Yess, Yes, I agree with Boomer. All are welcome for the good of our "burgeoning organization"!!!

Looking forward to cars & coffee.

Boomer23 said:
mwalsh said:
hill said:

Nooooo, noo, no, no, no. No suggestion of anything of the kind. All are welcome. And you guys know me, I don't run things around here, though I do tend to open my yap sometimes.

Someone just asked how many people come to the meetings and I answered with a number and said that Cerritos Nissan likes to offer attendance at our meetings to some of their prospective customers so that they can hear from and talk to us. At least that is what I was trying to say.

Geez, please no bowing out. I personally love to see everyone there, and I think that the newbies tend to come to hear from us oldbies. So get your arses to Cerritos tomorrow you guys, and let's here nothing further of this subtle hint stuff!

And yes, I'm planning to go to Cars & Coffee next week and I'm hoping that some others do, too.

No bowing out necessary.
If we get too crowded in one room or location, another will open up.

I will have CAN-buss reading and displaying to demo tomorrow.

Bring a few things you don't need for a raffel.

Yes, we are planning to have at least a Local Cluster atvthe car show a week from tomorrow.

Drive carefully, see you soon.

Boomer23 said:

Someone just asked how many people come to the meetings and I answered with a number and said that Cerritos Nissan likes to offer attendance at our meetings to some of their prospective customers so that they can hear from and talk to us. At least that is what I was trying to say. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
Ok - understood / understand. We got a ton of chores going on any way - so let it be known that THAT's why yours truly is/was a "no-show" at CN today. Hope there's a BIG bushel of Leafs there ... and see some of you at Cars and Coffee next week !

Back