SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cars & Coffee organizer prefers to keep his "car show" event NOT advertised, and he does not let "the press" in. He prefers it to be "known" only by "word-of-mouth" amoung friends. It is for classic and unusual cars that you would not normally see in a grocery store or mall parking lot.

So, we should not post an exact location or directions on-line. If you are interested in participating, or just parking nearby (about a block away) and walking in to be a spectator at this early hour (some cars are leaving at 8 AM, many leave by 8:30, and the place is essentially empty by 9 AM), please PM Boomer32 or myself.

Thanks, Gary

Hey, gang I have some very welcome news. Over the Memorial Day weekend my status changed all the way from "Month of July" to "Week-of June 6," and I have a VIN and CarWings. I know the "Week-of" can bounce around, but I am real happy just to be in June. It is going to be close, but it looks like I even have a reasonable chance to get the full $5K CA rebate.

Perhaps that second "squeek" did it.

I apologize again for getting too edgy at the last meeting. Thanks, Boomer23, for calming me down. Thanks to all of you, but especially Garygid, Boomer23, 1051, and Kataphn for encouraging me to "squeek" and keep the faith.

tbleakne said:
Perhaps that second "squeek" did it.

Hey Thomas, great news! I am really happy for you. I am convinced that squeeking did it for me, too. Thanks again to our SoCal group for encouraging me to squeek. :D

That's great news Tom, you're finally getting something more solid.

It was good to finally put names/handles to faces last Saturday, although it was hard to remember my own name after the food coma I was in afterwards :) Looking forward to the next Cerritos meet. Thanks again Gary for being the front man, boiling teakettle or not :)

BTW - How did that group photo turn out? Did we successfully block out the gas guzzling SUV?

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Our Local Cluster outside Fudruckers:

No pictures? I find that hard to believe, especially with Phil there!
Haven't looked all the way to the end to see if Boomer posted, but my better half (and her blog/video crew) took a few for her realty doings. I didn't scroll all around to find the vid ... but I know the crew was there with their cameras running.

http://www.liveinlakeforest.com/
Boomer23 said:
Gary and I showed up this morning with our LEAFs at Cars and Coffee, a regular Saturday early morning meetup at the Ford HQ building in the Irvine Spectrum area. They let us display our two cars and we got enough interest from the attendees that we were kept talking about the LEAF all of the time that we were there.

I'm planning to suggest that a bunch of us attend to show off our LEAFs sometime in mid June. I'll select a date once the usual Saturday meetup dates are planned by Gary. . . . . . . . . . . snip
is this planned yet? I'm still playing catch up (sorry)
Boomer23 said:
It has been suggested:
On Saturday June 18th we might organize a local LEAF Clustering to show off our LEAF EVs at a very EARLY morning outdoor classic/unusual car "show". Two to three hundred amazing cars usually arrive between about 6:30 and 7:00 AM, typically departing around 8:30 or so. ..... snip
What do you think?
Whew!!! that was a lot to read. Ok I'm in.
6:30? You call that early? HAH! ... says the guy who wakes at 3:45M to start his 40hr week day. That's sleeping in!
:D

z0ner said:
That's great news Tom, you're finally getting something more solid.

It was good to finally put names/handles to faces last Saturday, although it was hard to remember my own name after the food coma I was in afterwards :) Looking forward to the next Cerritos meet. Thanks again Gary for being the front man, boiling teakettle or not :)

BTW - How did that group photo turn out? Did we successfully block out the gas guzzling SUV?

Oops, I do owe you guys a photo online here. Stay tuned.

As for the food coma, zOner, I didn't get to monitor your breakfast intake, so enthralled in conversation as I was, so I'll have to assume that you ate us much as I did. Well, at least it's cheap! :lol:

Here are a couple of pictures from our May 28 get together at Santa Ana Home Town Buffet.

img1009g.jpg

"Trying to hide the SUV". What possesses these ICE people when it's obvious that we're trying to save space for LEAFs?
I mean, really. We might need to carry cones and signs, right? :lol:

Reading from the RIGHT side, zOner, xtremeflyer, garygid, 1051, Kataphn, Brian (I don't know his sig), Mrs. Brian, Danny, and WAYYY over on the left side, tbleakne and Keijidosha (Matt) looking over Matt's Mini E. RSH was there as well, but had to leave earlier.

And yes, only about half of us around here wear long pants after May 1. :lol:

img1006gm.jpg

Learning about charging the MiniE from Matt. Did you know that the Mini can charge at 12 kW ??? Can you say envious?

tbleakne said:
Hey, gang I have some very welcome news. Over the Memorial Day weekend my status changed all the way from "Month of July" to "Week-of June 6," and I have a VIN and CarWings. I know the "Week-of" can bounce around, but I am real happy just to be in June. It is going to be close, but it looks like I even have a reasonable chance to get the full $5K CA rebate. . . . . . . snip
congrat's !!

tbleakne said:
Over the Memorial Day weekend my status changed all the way from "Month of July" to "Week-of June 6," and I have a VIN and CarWings.
That is truly wonderful news!!! I am so happy to hear that your LEAF is likely to be in your garage very, very soon!

And perhaps, with your help, I will be able to make it into one of these gatherings on LEAF power alone. :) (I'd have to drive my LEAF to your house, leave it on your charging dock, and ride with you in your LEAF the rest of the way.)

abasile....It would be great if you can make it to one of our meetings.

You will be first to try the mini rally from Arrowbear to Claremont to Cerritos or Santa Ana....a warm up for the "down the coast" version!

garygid said:
Tom,
What's your VIN serial number?
2500. On the black section of the spreadsheet, I see VINs in the 3Ks, 4Ks, and even a couple of 5Ks, while the red-delivered section shows at least 8 in the 3Ks. I asked my dealer if he could see a manufactured date, but he didn't know where to look for that. Any speculations ?

I met my first leafer tonight, hi Ben!

I'd be up for joining you guys and gals for the Santa Ana meet up since it's closer to me and I'd be more comfortable getting back home.
Are the meetings really early in the morning? If so, I'd probably be a bit late since I get up at about 8:30 to 9am generally. :)

I try to be at the Gathering site around 8 AM, and most arrive by 8:30 or 9. Some of us are usually still there at 11:00, and even 11:30, but usually all gone before noon.

But, anytime you can get there is OK. :D

Back