So will it be enough?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonuk

Living in Fort Lauderdale I will be traveling 70 miles 5 days a week all highway 75+mph 90% of the way, No hills but A/C and the radio will be on for the entire trip (it was 92 degrees today. Thank god they installed a cold weather package as standard)

Reading these posts it is making me nervous.

Should I charge to 100% every time as I only need to keep the Leaf for three years?

70 miles at 75mph with NO A/C is pushing it even at 100 percent... Technically, you'd be completely dead at about 62 miles if you ran that speed constantly from beginning to end... I'd be very nervous if I had to do that route regularly at anything over 60... Your only real option under this scenario is to be able to charge at work.

Brightonuk said:
Living in Fort Lauderdale I will be traveling 70 miles 5 days a week all highway 75+mph 90% of the way, No hills but A/C and the radio will be on for the entire trip (it was 92 degrees today.

Sorry mate, 75mph is no go in D. I agree that 60-65mph with A/C is going to be about the most you can hope for on a 100% charge. You may try ECO for a few extra miles at higher speeds, but I have my doubts.

perhaps consider an EV that would work for you, like the Tesla Model S, of course it won't be availble until Mid 2012, and the initial models are the "signature" series w/300 miles of range (and a price to match), $87.5K I believe. You might also consider the 2012 Prius PHEV (or just a regular Prius), or the Chevy Volt, you really need something with a range extender, or a very large battery pack, and thats only going to be Tesla for now (in 1 year).

hodad66 said:
Don't have one yet but from what I've read here you would need
level 2 charging at work to even try to make it work.

Or, if his work could supply an L6-20R (208-240VAC @ 20AMPs), he could have the included Nissan EVSE modified @ http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and use his own EVSE to recharge during the day, might be easier to get an outlet only installed rather than an entire EVSE, depends on the company.

No. It will not be enough. I love my Leaf and I drive it everyday on the freeway and even then, nope.
If you have the money, Tesla.
If you want to be leading edge, consider a CNG vehicle with a home fueling center.
Otherwise, you cannot go wrong with the reliable, basic Prius for the 75 mph, 70 mile speedy commuter.

The Coda is coming by the end of the year, it will have a 35kwh pack and a true range of 100 miles+ , BYD is also talking about the long range E6 (186 miles) by next year.. its the BEV they have been testing in taxi fleets.

The Volt can do about 35 miles at those speeds in the BEV mode, once the battery runs out it switches to the hybrid mode.

Brightonuk said:
Living in Fort Lauderdale I will be traveling 70 miles 5 days a week all highway 75+mph

First, check out this chart:

Ain't no way you'll drive 75mph for 70 miles !!!

Then, factor in both heat on the batteries for reduced efficiency, then the load on the battery for whatever air conditioning you want, and you'd be lucky to make 50 something miles in those conditions.

Option 1: Charging at work, even if only 120 volts for 8 hours. I presume you're traveling 35 miles each way, so in 8 hours, you'd be charged up again (about 4-5 miles added per hour recharged at 120 volts). This is the most logical. Can you charge at work?????

Option 2: Slow to 60mph, as others suggest. Yes, you MIGHT make it with the heat degradation on the batteries, and the air conditioning. Over 3 years, throw in about 2% overall battery degradation every 10,000-ish miles, and you might have to slow to 55mph.

Option 3: Get a different car or move your work or house closer. Or car pool with somebody else?

If it were me, I would make the effort to make the LEAF work. Nobody MUST drive 75 mph on the freeways. You just want to. Either charge somewhere or slow down.

Thanks for the responses OK so I slow down to 60mph and wind the window down
I am determined to get the Leaf I have been on the list for over a year and I can’t let it go now.
I do have a 240 at work so the modded EVSE will work.

As for the Tesla, did anyone see Top Gear testing the roadster?
It did not go well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFehyN8X7w

And here is the Stig in a Leaf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0x8onTErk

Last week Top Gear tested the Leaf against the Peugeot iOn. in real world driving. (I get this the UK version as I use a UK server to get the BBC.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yV7D90im7g

I am sure it will be on BBC America in a few weeks if you do not watch it is the best motoring show on the TV don’t get it mixed up with the US version that one is terrible.

As expected they ran it to empty then made a big deal finding someone willing to let them use their electrical outlet then getting people to push it and asking the local counsel where the nearest EV charging station was (47 miles away) but overall not as bad a the Prius review they did.

Brightonuk said:
It did not go well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFehyN8X7w

The Model S is a different car entirely, built from the ground up, like the Leaf.
The Roadster is just a converted Lotus Elise.

Of course it costs more than twice as much as the Leaf, but the initial signature series will have 300 mile EV packs.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you slow down to 60, my experience shows you would be OK -- even with AC.
But my use of AC is along coastal CA, so ymmv.

The Fisker Nina will be a serial hybrid, with a 50 mile BEV range and a BMW 4 cyl engine.. slated for early 2013 at around $50k.. competing with the Cadillac ELR (Converj).

cadillac-elr.top_.jpg

hodad66 said:
Don't have one yet but from what I've read here you would need
level 2 charging at work to even try to make it work.
No, L1 would do the job. He could get a 40% charge during an 8 hour work day, which would give him a nice, safe margin.

Brightonuk said:
Thanks for the responses OK so I slow down to 60mph and wind the window down

Actually, while I haven't specifically tested it, I'll bet that the range will generally be better with windows up and air conditioning set to a higher temp. Hopefully, you'll get your chance to measure it !!

I do have a 240 at work so the modded EVSE will work.

Game, set, match. Drive 75... 85mph !!! Air Conditioning full blast. The LEAF will be OK with 35 miles one-way. Unless you're talking about 70 miles one-way????

With the 240/20 amp at work, and the modded EVSE, it'll easily recharge. You might even be able to do 80% charges each way for longest battery life.

Just clarify that it's 70 miles TOTAL, 35 miles each way, *or* 70 miles each way, 140 round trip.

It did not go well.

Yes, Top Gear is getting sued over that test.

I took the exact millage today it is 63 miles one way.

However, I do have a 240 outlet at work I guess I will need to experiment a bit, eco mode, 55-60mph , and sweating in the heat.
At least my delivery date is November some time, even Florida gets chilly to the point of just winding down the widows is enough.

Another Issue I may have is; I sometimes use a rear bike rack to transport my racing bike. The bike only weighs in at 18lbs but what about the drag factor?

Back