Siemens VersiCharge EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redLEAF

Got a call from my Nissan dealer today just to touch base, my LEAF is still expected next month (mine will be their first to be delivered) -- they have four pending customer orders. I mentioned to him that I just had my EVSE installed (a Schneider unit) and he mentioned another customer has the Siemens EVSE as he had worked in the electrical industry -- can only assume it's the VersiCharge unit but have seen other articles on a 'commercial' grade model. Went through the EVSE section and did not see the Siemens listed. Just started this thread in case others may have some experience -- here is a photo of it:

SiemensVersiChargeEVchargerx-large.jpg

Some older info (from last July) expected a price of around $1,000 and it was expected that it might be available from Home Depot or Lowes but looks like Schneider, GE and Leviton beat them to the home centers as although they link to HD, nothing on the site yet:

http://www.sea.siemens.com/us/Products/Residential-Electrical/Product/Pages/VersiCharge.aspx

Thanks RedLEAF! I hadn't noticed it yet. It has the potential to be an awseome unit, particularly as we get EVs with higher power (10 - 15 kW) onboard chargers! The J1772 standard goes up to 80A (19.2 kW), though the highest power J1772 connector commercially available so far is 70A.

The Siemens Versicharge also offers settable current levels by the end user or on demand by the utility.
They also have a unit that goes up to 70A!!!! Up to 16.8 kW (or 55 LEAF miles range per hour of charging), so it is ready today for Tesla Roadsters and Model S (using J1772 to Tesla Adapters] with high power chargers and the 2016 LEAF, when Nissan follows my recommendation and adds an option for a 15 kW on board charger! ;)

Plug In America listing of Siemens Versicharge
Siemens Versicharge Line Page
Product Brochure
Product Datasheet

Siemens_VersiCharge.png
Siemens VersiCharge™
The Siemens VersiCharge line of Electric Vehicle Charging systems is the industry’s most flexible and versatile offering. These Level 2 (240 VAC) charging stations offer unparalleled usability, safety, energy management, and affordability. Read below for details on the offering and how these devices can improve your electric vehicle experience.

Installation Options
The VersiCharge line can be installed in four different configurations. The device can be wired from behind, either hard-wired or by using a 30A, 240 V receptacle (30 A devices only). Similarly, the unit accepts bottom- fed cabling or conduit for external wiring, either hard- wired or wired to a 30A 240 V receptacle.

User interface
The User interface on VersiCharge systems is the most intuitive on the market. It features two back-lit buttons for controlling the charge and delay timer and a glowing halo that conveys the charging status. It is simple to use, and conveys all necessary information to properly charge an electric vehicle.

Amperage offering
The VersiCharge devices are offered in both 30 A and 70 A varieties. In years to come, electric vehicles will have larger and larger battery capacity that will require more electric power to charge them. In order to avoid lengthy charge times, higher current will deliver this power. By offering a 70 A model today, the VersiCharge is ready to charge the car of tomorrow.

Amperage Adjustability
Because many electric vehicles are set up to receive a certain input power, the VersiCharge is internally adjustable. This allows users to select the power output of the charger. For example: If a user has an EV that is specified to receive 16A max input, a user can get a 30A VersiCharge and adjust the power down to that level. This permits the user to charge a later vehicle at a higher current.
VersiCharge SG Features
In addition to all the features described, the VersiCharge SG has built in Zigbee wireless communications, designed to work with modern “Smart Meters” deployed by electric utilities. The SG model comes with an expansion port to communicate via Wi-fi, cellular, or future communications protocols. This communication is key when programming the device of setting up utility controlled demand response capabilities. 0.5% accurate metering will help users and utilities measure the amount of energy consumed by the charging system.

ElectricVehicle said:
They also have a unit that goes up to 70A!!!! Up to 16.8 kW (or 55 LEAF miles range per hour of charging), so it is ready today for Tesla Roadsters and Model S (using J1772 to Tesla Adapters] with high power chargers and the 2016 LEAF, when Nissan follows my recommendation and adds an option for a 15 kW on board charger!

That is amazing! That is basically like getting 1 mile a minute. Where right now with level-2 it is more like 1 mile every 6 minutes and level 1 is like 1 mile every 12 minutes or so. That actually begins to encroach upon quick-charge territory. I mean think about it. If I drove to the other side of town to a mall or a movie theater or something like that. Then I went inside for an hour or two I could be completely topped off again before returning home.

Which is one of the reasons why Mini and Tesla got that part of it so right, and Nissan got it so wrong with their measly 3.3Kw charger...

adric22 said:
ElectricVehicle said:
They also have a unit that goes up to 70A!!!! Up to 16.8 kW (or 55 LEAF miles range per hour of charging), so it is ready today for Tesla Roadsters and Model S (using J1772 to Tesla Adapters] with high power chargers and the 2016 LEAF, when Nissan follows my recommendation and adds an option for a 15 kW on board charger!

That is amazing! That is basically like getting 1 mile a minute. Where right now with level-2 it is more like 1 mile every 6 minutes and level 1 is like 1 mile every 12 minutes or so. That actually begins to encroach upon quick-charge territory. I mean think about it. If I drove to the other side of town to a mall or a movie theater or something like that. Then I went inside for an hour or two I could be completely topped off again before returning home.

TomT said:
Which is one of the reasons why Mini and Tesla got that part of it so right, and Nissan got it so wrong with their measly 3.3Kw charger...

adric22 said:
ElectricVehicle said:

They can't say there were not told otherwise in advance. There is nothing amazing about a high powered EVSE , just larger relays and cords.

Wow. If this really is a 70a 240v EVSE with a J1772 connector for $1000 then the game is pretty much over on the charger side, at least for the foreseeable future.

SanDust said:
Wow. If this really is a 70a 240v EVSE with a J1772 connector for $1000 then the game is pretty much over on the charger side, at least for the foreseeable future.

They are taking chargers out of cars now?

Siemens VersiCharge™
The Siemens VersiCharge line of Electric Vehicle Charging systems is the industry’s most flexible and versatile offering. These Level 2 (240 VAC) charging stations offer unparalleled usability, safety, energy management, and affordability. Read below for details on the offering and how these devices can improve your electric vehicle experience.

Amperage Adjustability
Because many electric vehicles are set up to receive a certain input power, the VersiCharge is internally adjustable. This allows users to select the power output of the charger. For example: If a user has an EV that is specified to receive 16A max input, a user can get a 30A VersiCharge and adjust the power down to that level. This permits the user to charge a later vehicle at a higher current.
Has anyone installed a Siemens VersiCharger? Trying to confirm if the Pilot Signal adjustment is inside the unit. Can't tell from front panel pictures. :?

Don't resurrect long, dead and obsolete threads if possible.

FYI: All J1772 compatible EVSEs will automatically adjust to the capability of the vehicle's on-board charger.

grommet said:

FYI: All J1772 compatible EVSEs will automatically adjust to the capability of the vehicle's on-board charger.
Actually the vehicles on-board charger adjusts to the capability of the EVSE’s power source as advertised by the pilot signal.

grommet said:

The pilot signal is adjusted to match the available power or supply breaker size.

smkettner said:
grommet said:

The pilot signal is adjusted to match the available power or supply breaker size.
Not to mention the gauge of wires from the breaker to the EVSE.

Is there any more real world experience with this EVSE? They have a SG version (Smart Grid) which has wireless data capability (available Fall 2012).

It seems like Home Depot and Amazon are starting to carry this.

I am more curious what:s the plug type going into the outlet for the bottom fed unit.
I can:t find any information in the spec sheet and Siemens is pretty bad at answering E-mail ticket.

For the 30A version - NEMA 6-50 according to the installation manual: http://www.sea.siemens.com/us/internet-dms/btlv/residential/residential/docs_Home/SIE_IM_VersiCharge.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also - unlike the SPX Power-Xpress (how long did they shop for someone to certify that thing?), the Amperage setting inside the box is a percentage of the J1772 cable rating (some percentage of 30A), to allow for smaller feeds. There's also a low voltage disable signal. From scanning the manual.

I'm personally interested in the 70A version w Zigbee (future proof?).

I installed this evse yesterday. I got the bottom fed plug in one. It was easy to install and requires a 50 amp receptacle. The configuration of the receptacle looks just like a regular one, only bigger, meaning the prongs are vertical and parallel. Hope that isn't to technical for anyone. ;) the amps are adjustable and I wanted to know what the factory setting on it was so I didn't have to open it up for no reason but when calling tech support, nobody knew. I just went ahead and used it as is and it worked fine. Charged from 1 bar to 12 bars in about 3 hours, maybe 3.5 hours. It looks nice hanging in the garage and has the ability to delay charging for 2,4,6, or 8 hours. Not that we need that for the leaf.

The inside adjustment limits the current it will draw. If you had only a 20 amp outlet due to breaker or wiring, you could turn down the draw so the breaker wouldn't trip every time it tried to draw more. I am not sure a leaf can trip many breakers unless it has a 6.6 charger.

Has anyone opened one of these up? I want to install a 220V powered wireless relay on the disable input. Anyone done this or something similar?

Back