Shift knob Disassembly, for L.E.D knob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texleaf

So I really want to do that L.E.D shift knob project like 2 people have done here. But give zero feedback on how to do it.

So on Saturday my significant other spilled Chinese food on the entire center portion/panel of the car and I thought I had cleaned it all off, until I noticed some sauce IN the blue portion of the knob.

So I started to take it apart to get to the sauce. And I am starting to dissemble the knob.
Here add some photos of the knob taken apart. Maybe that can give some insight to some of you for the LED project.

I'll try my best as to explain how I took apart the knob. I'm a very inexperienced person when it comes to things like this. (Pardon the dirty shift knob, beef with broccoli sauce)

195E59C6-25C6-4FE9-872D-C8793237005A-4167-000002616276BD8E.jpg

31BFDE9C-B502-4858-8BE1-50B481866D77-4167-0000026169E037DB.jpg

248431C4-A5DA-4C5F-B050-D1FEB3B69275-4167-0000026170E00B9C.jpg

D31E8841-029C-45E3-8044-AA2FEF38873E-4167-00000261801927BD.jpg

So removing the top portion of the knob. There are 4 pieces attaching it to to shift body. I took two very thin zip ties and slid them between the blue translucent piece and the front of the shift knob top. The zip tie was soft enough, not to dent or scratch the plastic, to push it the retaining plastic pieces which hold in the top plastic piece to the knob.

If you notice the top Plastic piece has 4 Holes at where they attach to the inside of the nob. I took a picture of the inside of the knob to see where they attach. When I get home Ill try to put arrows where to show you were they attach, to Make it more clear.

I still don't know where or how they put the L.E.D to light up the blue, BUT In going to figure it out. And I'll get better at explaining it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I could probably figure out how to put a LED in there and do step by step instructions if I knew to to properly take apart the center console without damaging any parts. More than likely, you will probably need to remove the whole center console to wire a LED in there. Once open, you could easily wire the LED to the cigarette lighter above the cup holders (for 2013 only?). That way it could light up whenever the car is ON.

voodoojc said:
I could probably figure out how to put a LED in there and do step by step instructions if I knew to to properly take apart the center console without damaging any parts. More than likely, you will probably need to remove the whole center console to wire a LED in there. Once open, you could easily wire the LED to the cigarette lighter above the cup holders (for 2013 only?). That way it could light up whenever the car is ON.

Mine is a 2012. But I've looked ad the 2013 and I can't find a difference in the two. At least from the outside. I will start taking apart the console, or at least try to do it, this weekend. I'll also try to take as many pictures possible, showing the removal process. As well as the insides to see where parts snap together.

I do think that when one does instal the led thru will have to file some tod of hole on the inside of the knob. Because there are ZERO holes for the knob to the translucent blue piece.

Texleaf said:
I do think that when one does instal the led thru will have to file some tod of hole on the inside of the knob. Because there are ZERO holes for the knob to the translucent blue piece.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too.

Of course, if the two folks on the board who have ALREADY done the mod would offer up some details, it might make life easier for the rest of us! :?

Mine is a 2012. But I've looked ad the 2013 and I can't find a difference in the two. At least from the outside. I will start taking apart the console, or at least try to do it, this weekend. I'll also try to take as many pictures possible, showing the removal process. As well as the insides to see where parts snap together.

I do think that when one does instal the led thru will have to file some tod of hole on the inside of the knob. Because there are ZERO holes for the knob to the translucent blue piece.[/quote]

Did you ever get around to taking your console apart?

I see this as pretty easy (sitting here sleepy eyed with coffee in hand)...

Now looking at your awesome macro pics! Make a cad/dxf/template of the 2 pieces.. well depends on what you want lit up.. top or the side blue piece..

But which ever one it is, I'd just waterjet it out of clear Lexan (or another scratch resistant material) and then wire up that LED!!

I'm liking this.. I think I'll try it... after the charger :eek:

Speaking of zero feedback...almost a month and the OP has disappeared! :(

How comes anyone who attempts this mod is never heard of again? Or at least refuses to discuss the mod any further? :?

I guess I'll have to pull my own apart. Right now I'm wondering how that blue section fits on there - whether it's glued into place or just sandwiches between the two grey parts.

I'm still thinking it would be necessary to drill out some holes to fit LEDs. But drilling those holes would be (or at least feel) a whole lot easier if the blue piece was safely out of the way first, being as it's not a part that could be replaced if it broke. I'm thinking three to four white (or maybe even blue) 12V LEDs; the type with integrated resistors, so they could be wired directly to the voltage source; 2 each wired in parallel or three in series, and getting their voltage from where the lighting is on the shift indicator panel (so that the knob comes on with the vehicle lights).

Alternatively, one of those strip lights cut down to maybe 3 or 4 of the tiny LEDs could possibly work, providing you could get behind the blue lexan piece to install the strip.

Ingineer did it...and then posted no details (but to give him a break, he said he was too busy to). PancraZ did it, and promised a how-to...but then never came back to do one. And now Texleaf. Sigh.

Edit: Taking a look at the macro of the shifter from the rear, and at a slight angle, it looks like there are two tabs holding the flat parts of the blue lexan peice down at the rear.

Well, I got my top cover off. The way I did it is by wrapping a feeler gauge in masking tape and getting it in the gap made by first slipping my fingernail underneath the cover. I started with my fingernail towards the rear of one side and by the time I'd moved the feeler around to the front, using a slight amount of twisting pressure, the front and the side my fingernail was still under had started to pop off.

Now I'm in there, I can see that those tabs at the rear of the blue lexan bit are superglued to the rest of the knob. And since the lexan appears to be solid, I don't think it makes any sense to persue getting in behind it.

So we're left with drilling holes for LEDs. But it's so tight in there, I think the tiny LEDs on tape are going to be the only way I can go. And even with that, I think the tape is going to have to be trimmed away so it's basically just the LEDs on their conductive wires.

Edit: Found some of 12V surface mount individual LEDs with wiring and suitable resistor already soldered on. Ostensibly for railroad modeling, but I'm sure they'll be just the ticket here. Bought a package of 20, so if anyone is interested in buying a few when I get them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L0805W-20pcs-Pre-Wired-Bright-White-SMD-0805-Led-Lamp-Light-Set-12V-18V-NEW-/221091220420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My LEDs are on the way from Suzhou, China (near Shanghai). I figure that each should be worth about 9mA with the 1000 ohm resistor, and I'm hoping that will be enough to nicely light up the shifter without having any real obvious light "hot-spots". If it's not, the answer is probably going to be a smaller resistor.

As of now, I'm still planning on four LEDs - two on each side, one towards the front and one towards the rear. But I'll have to wait until they arrive and do a dummy positioning (as best I can, since I won't be drilling or filing anything until I'm fairly certain of how they'll look). Heck, if I can get away with only fitting one one each side, then I'll only fit two. Stay tuned!

mwalsh said:
How comes anyone who attempts this mod is never heard of again? Or at least refuses to discuss the mod any further? :?

This is how you are inducted into the Knights Templar.

Knight.jpg

mwalsh said:
My LEDs are on the way from Suzhou, China (near Shanghai).

We're going to miss you! :lol:

mwalsh said:
How comes anyone who attempts this mod is never heard of again? Or at least refuses to discuss the mod any further? :? I
I've been kinda busy lately with my last project :lol:

But the rumor has it and others had suspected it... My CubeX-Duo is on its way now!!! :cool:

So now I'll be printing and prototyping these parts up myself.. Clear plastic baby!! :D

Soon... very soon

I am interested in this mod, but the hardest part is getting that cover off, can we get some photos with either the feeler guage or "thin zip tie" show just how and where to instert? I am afraid of breaking somthing.

I hope the trend of dissappearing modders will eventually stop :|

jclemens said:
I am interested in this mod, but the hardest part is getting that cover off, can we get some photos with either the feeler gauge or "thin zip tie" show just how and where to instert? I am afraid of breaking something.

I get that, I really do. Especially when breaking it will mean a whole new shift knob. So you'll forgive me if I don't reinstall mine just to show you me getting it off again. The fewer times I tempt fate the better, I think.

So here instead are two pictures, the first picture showing the feeler gauge I used and the second picture is where I inserted my fingernail (green arrow) and then about when I started twisting on the feeler gauge once I had inserted it in front of where my fingernail was making a gap (orange arrow). If you have really short fingernails, I guess you'd have to go with a second feeler gauge (or some other kind of thin instrument, set up so it won't mar the plastic.

I have no clue what the OP did with zip ties. But if he was able to accomplish it with something so bendy, I'm sure it illustrates how little pressure is needed once you get something underneath. Being gentle is definitely the order of the day.

Attachments

• 248431C4-A5DA-4C5F-B050-D1FEB3B69275-4167-0000026170E00B9C.jpg
    248431C4-A5DA-4C5F-B050-D1FEB3B69275-4167-0000026170E00B9C.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Img_7560_resized.jpg
    Img_7560_resized.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 79
My LEDs arrived. It is insane how small these things are. I saw pictures in the auction and the guy had them in a picture sitting alongside a ballpoint pen tip. So I figured, "OK, they're about the same size as a ballpoint pen tip". But they're much, much smaller than that.

It's also insane how old and wrinkly my hands seem to be all of a sudden (and you don't even want to know how old and wrinkly some other parts of my body are!). :?

So the magic number of LEDs looks like it's going to turn out to be 5 - two on each side and one in front.

I mocked up as best I could with electrical tape and a temporary 12v source. You should ignore the "hot-spot" reflections against the base of the shifter, because right now the LEDs are pointed down. In the actual installation they'll be pointed out, and as a result I don't think those will be there. And I've blacked out some of the stray light from inside the knob from the picture, so your focus can be on how the blue lexan looks. As of right now, I guess, if I had a do-over I might order the blue LEDs instead of the white. But I'll reserve judgement until it's done.

I won't be able to do anything more now until I'm off on Friday.

Attachments

• Img_7579.jpg
    Img_7579.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Img_7573.jpg
    Img_7573.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Img_7568.jpg
    Img_7568.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 61
Wow, that looks awesome.

Would like to see that for real.

I would like it to be less bright and more shimmery blue, I suppose.

Kudos for giving it a go and most of all sharing it here...

Back