SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you are! I was so lucky in that a forum member had suggested I attend if I could when I wasn't even in line to order.

You'll learn alot from this caring & enthusiastic group! Just like the people on this forum! BTW, I'm grateful for the forum group and the great SF BayLeafers! The common interest is the car and they'll share everything glowing, and no doubt, anything horrible! Plus, you'll get to see the car in every color and different accessories and modifications (better than online pictures) and pick up some of them there, if available and if you so choose (the modified EVSE from Phil was a very convenient one for us-thanks Phil!).

I felt a little odd driving my non-Leaf to that first meeting, but don't... as everyone is always happy that another person is interested in an electric vehicle! Truthfully, some of the topics/questions at the meeting can get more technical than my brain can absorb... lol, that's when the coffee and bagels come in handy...I'm grateful for them too!

In the interest of full disclosure:
1. All people are welcome, regardless of LEAF ownership. At our very first gathering, we had only 2 LEAF owners and 15 excited (and somewhat envious) future LEAF owners.
2. As much as I love driving the LEAF, I'll be bringing the Altima Hybrid to gathering #8--won't have the opportunity to get sufficient charge to make it back to SJ in the necessary timeframe. But, I'll have two passengers, which will mean more charging available at the Garage for those who need it.

On a personal note, I just passed 7000 miles on the LEAF in a little over 4 months. In that same time, I've driven about 300 miles in an ICE car (about 4%). One can't really stress over the occasional use of an ICE--that's not really what owning an EV is all about. All of us know, at some point, that we'll have to use an ICE or carpool with someone that does. It's really about making informed choices for the greater good.

I believe there are six L6-20 outlets (though the LG website says four) at today's meeting location.

Since I haven't seen anyone talking about needing them, I'll at least register my request here to use one.

I'm driving from Sunnyvale. This is my first Leaf drive to SF; I assume I'll need to charge (at least a bit) in order to make it home.

Bottom line: Please don't grab a charging station today unless you really need it to get home. Thanks!

lemketron said:
I believe there are six L6-20 outlets (though the LG website says four) at today's meeting location.

Since I haven't seen anyone talking about needing them, I'll at least register my request here to use one.

I'm driving from Sunnyvale. This is my first Leaf drive to SF; I assume I'll need to charge (at least a bit) in order to make it home.

Bottom line: Please don't grab a charging station today unless you really need it to get home. Thanks!
I think we can scrounge up 7 to 9 if needed with all my adapters and sneaky tricks.

I will also have 16A Level II chargers available for those that don't have one.

-Phil

Minutes from Sunday's Gathering #8 with huge thanks to linkim
SF BayLEAFs Gathering #8 was held at Luscious Garage in San Francisco on Oct. 2, 2011. Four LEAFs and one PHEV Prius were happily charging in the garage, and a LEAF and RAV 4 were charging at COSTCO nearby. In addition, several LEAFs were parked on the streets near the garage. There were 38 attendees at the meeting, with 13 newcomers.

Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield, an EV journalist from the UK, kicked off the meeting with a brief report on the Oct. 1 Tesla event in Fremont. The target delivery date is expected to be July 2012 for the Tesla Model S. The Model S has a charger plug that does not have the same shape and size as the J1772 plug on the LEAF. Tesla is interested in installing 90 kW quick charge stations at suitable locations alongside major freeways such as I-5 on the west coast. Based on the brief ride experience at the event, she mentioned that the Model S provided a quieter ride than the LEAF. Other information and photos on the event is found on the MNL forum at (TESLA Model S event) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Nikki also mentioned that Enterprise Rent-a-Car in San Francisco has LEAFs for rent, but be prepared to pay $100+ per day. It was suggested that LEAF owners and Nissan dealers should try to get discount rates for LEAF rentals.

The major topics discussed at the meeting are summarized below:

Upcoming Events
Oct. 15 – SVEVA, Silicon Valley
Oct. 16 – National Plug in Day. San Francisco event will be held at Crissy Field Visitors Center (http://www.parksconservancy.org/our-work/crissy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in the marina. The official start time has not been announced so check website http://www.pluginamerica.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details.
Nov. 4 – Premier of movie “Revenge of the Electric Car,” Berkeley: Landmark Shattuck Cinemas; Palo Alto: Landmark Aquarius Theatre; San Francisco: Landmark Lumiere Theatre
Nov. 11 – Premier of movie “Revenge of the Electric Car,” Santa Rosa: Summerfield Theatre; for movie details see http://www.revengeoftheelectriccar.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nov. 12 –#8 BayLEAF meeting

PG&E proposal to modify E-9 rates
Waitingforleaf presented an analysis of the effects of the new rate structure that PG&E proposed in their Advice Letter 3910-E. The proposed new rates could have a dramatic effect on the electricity costs of those on E-9A/9B. In addition, customers will not have an option for a tiered TOU rate. The implementation date is Nov. 1, 2011, if passed by the CPUC. The presentation used the analysis of Martin Eberhard (former Tesla CEO). More details on the presentation will be posted later so only a few highlights are given here. With the new E-9A rates here are some estimates: (i) the top 25% consumers will see a rate reduction, (ii) mid 50% consumers will see a 19% rate increase, and (iii) lowest 25% consumers will see a 80% increase. Nearly all E-9B customers will also see a rate increase. One conclusion is that the new rate structure provides no discernible incentives for the adoption of EVs.

The Future of Automotive Service
Carolyn Coquillette, the owner of Luscious Garage (LG), discussed her experience with servicing hybrid vehicles in the SF bay area. LG is an eco-friendly garage with a thriving business maintaining the large fleet of Prius and other hybrid taxis in San Francisco. Because of the proliferation of Prius taxis, LG has night shifts and is open on Saturday for repair services. This extensive experience has positioned Luscious Garage to consider service on EVs such as the LEAF. Presently, no service for the LEAF is available because warranty service must be performed at Nissan dealers. However, the garage is capable of doing upgrades to the LEAF that are not covered by warranty. The garage is exploring servicing LEAFs in the future when they can procure the necessary Nissan tools.

Committee on Interactions with Nissan: Public Relations Support
OrientExpress introduced Jonathan Carmona, Community Manager, TBWA\CHIAT\DAY (Nissan’s PR firm) who made the trip up from LA just for our meeting. Jonathan is very interested in the owners’ experience with the LEAF, and he tracks information for Nissan. He is looking for new ways to support the LEAF community through social media and promoting events such as the movie “Revenge of the Electric Car” and National Plug in Day. He is also interested in recommendations to enhance LEAF owners’ driving experience.

Gascant and linkim are compiling a list of BayLEAFers who have contacts with Nissan. This information is helpful to Nissan and BayLEAFers to coordinate interactions that are mutually beneficial. Currently, there are at least 6 BayLEAFers who are in contact with Nissan North America, Nissan Japan or its affiliates.

Update on the visit of LEAF Chief Vehicle Engineer Kadota-san
Linkim has received further feedback from Nissan Japan regarding the Dec. 3 visit by the LEAF Chief Vehicle Engineer (CVE). Besides the CVE, several staff engineers will also visit with BayLEAFs. The proposed agenda will be firmed up closer to the meeting date, but one topic of interest is the upgrades/modifications that have been successfully implemented to the LEAF. In addition, Nissan is also interested in suggestions for improving future LEAF products. Linkim will be compiling information relevant to these topics that he will forward to Nissan for their input. Comments should be submitted to either gascant or linkim, or in MNL Forum (a special thread will be started)

Discussion on SOC
The State of Charge (SOC) of the battery pack has been discussed extensively in the MNL forum, and a SOC meter is available from garygid (see the long discussion in the subforum: Leaf CANBus in Accessories / Mods) that has helped reduce range anxiety and improve estimating the remaining driving range. Proposed suggestions and recommendations for a SOC meter in the vehicle was reviewed by Tyz. A digital display of the energy remaining in the battery is one example of an enhancement that is useful to the driver to help more accurately estimate the remaining driving range. Other recommendations were discussed that will be complied as part of the information to be discussed at the special visit by Nissan Japan on Dec. 3.

Committee on Bay Area Level 3 Charging Infrastructure
Phoenix and her committee summarized the status of L3 charging stations in Northern California. Progress is still slow in the installation of L2 charging stations.

1. The Nissan facility (Nissan Technical Center N.A.—California Fuel Cell Partnership
3300 Industrial Blvd., West Sacramento, California 95691) has a L3 charging station that will be used by the Sacramento LEAFers at their next meeting on Oct. 22, 10 AM. Details are available on the MNL forum (Sacramento area meeting at Nissan facility, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

2. Vacaville site is still not available for use by the public. Issues still remain with UL certification and liability.

3. One of the founders of 350Green (http://350green.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) described the objectives of the organization to install charging stations at various locations. Their goal is to install 150 charging stations, which include 25-L3 stations, in Northern California by the end of this year. The company is seeking suggestions for suitable locations. Walgreens is a partner that will install L2 chargers near their stores. Shopping centers are high on the list as suitable locations, and the company has access to Nissan data on LEAF owners to help with the selection process. The company expects to make money from sale of electricity to EV owners.

4. The EV Project plans to install 23 quick chargers in the 9 Bay Area counties.

5. Waidy visited the parking location at Page Mill Road and I-280 for a possible charging station. Because of the configuration of the parking and driveways, this site is not suitable for a charging station. However, Foothill College is a suitable site that is being considered.

Special Thanks.
The SF BayLEAFs would like to thank Carolyn for being such a gracious host for the Gathering #8 and providing electricity for charging the 4 LEAFs in the garage. She also came early on Sunday to open the garage for the meeting, and spent the day with the BayLEAFs and the GGEVA meeting that followed. Thank you Carolyn!

(will add pics soon and encourage others to post)

I've started a new thread related to the upcoming visit of LEAF Chief Vehicle Engineer Kadota-san and some of his team members. The link is:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please feel free to join in the conversation and help develop proposals for Nissan.

At our last meeting there was also a brief mention of an alternative plug-in day event location, in Santa Cruz. I checked the PIA site, but there are no details for SC. The distance to SC is much better than SF for me. Does anyone know the location and time? I hope we can make a big EV statement with a good turnout all across the country.

Gathering #9 will be on November 12th at the Hewlett Packard Campus in Cupertino. Tailgate party will start shortly after 8 and the formal meeting at 9. Agenda is to be developed, but I'm thinking we will concentrate heavily on the upcoming meeting with the LEAF Chief Vehicle Engineer. Details of the room location will be published as we get closer to the meeting date. The H-P Campus is just of I-280 and Homestead Road.

I would really like to attend as my first meetings. However, its a solid 54 highway miles. Does anyone know if there are EVSE's at their campus that we will be able to use? I don't think my portable L1 will get me back up to a high enough charge for my ride home.

I do have my ICE car but would prefer to come to my first Leaf gathering in my Leaf :)

Eric, please have a look at an earlier post in this thread, which describes charging opportunities at HP. I have an Avcon adaptor and will make it available if needed.

Limited charging through outlets (120 and 240) will be available so bring your modified L1 EVSEs.

surfingslovak said:
Eric, please have a look at an earlier post in this thread, which describes charging opportunities at HP. I have an Avcon adaptor and will make it available if needed.

Limited charging through outlets (120 and 240) will be available so bring your modified L1 EVSEs.
Yes, our host, Ron, made provisions last time for 4-6 outlets so members could charge. You can get a good 2-3 hours charge. I'll see if that will be available again. If you need a true L2 dock, Stevens Creek Nissan is very close. And, finally, there are several members that live close by that could offer their home dock/outlet to you.

Maybe slightly out of the way, there is a brand new ChargePoint station at 92/880. It's a little out of the way, but would work in a pinch on the way back.

Laurel and I plan to attend. We haven't made it to a Bayleaf meeting before.

Our Leaf has the Tein suspension upgrade so look for a blue leaf thats a bit lower than usual if you want to check it out. We will give rides.

Cheers Adrian

I suggest a new thread for BayLEAF meetings soon. 50 seems like a nice number to end at. Or, end this thread at the end of this calendar year.

gascant said:
Gathering #9 will be on November 12th at the Hewlett Packard Campus in Cupertino. Tailgate party will start shortly after 8 and the formal meeting at 9. Agenda is to be developed, but I'm thinking we will concentrate heavily on the upcoming meeting with the LEAF Chief Vehicle Engineer. Details of the room location will be published as we get closer to the meeting date. The H-P Campus is just of I-280 and Homestead Road.

Was the building location of the meeting recently published somewhere? The last meeting at HP was great for parking, and I think several BayLEAFers were able to charge.

Hope to see many of you at the meeting.

Kim

linkim said:
Was the building location of the meeting recently published somewhere? The last meeting at HP was great for parking, and I think several BayLEAFers were able to charge.

Hope to see many of you at the meeting.

Kim
Yes, since I will be coming from Berkeley (anyone want to carpool?), I will need a charge for sure. What's the charge situation, and should we make a spreadsheet for charging priority?

-Phil

I will not be able to make this gathering. I was hoping to but something has come up on Saturday that takes precedence. However, I WILL be making the engineering event in December, that's for sure.

Back