Securing front axle nut.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am replacing the old axle nut with a new one which will not be staked. I will torque it to 135 lb. I am seriously considering using red Loctite to help secure the nut. I've used it in the past to secure nuts and it always worked. Even though Loctite red is supposed to be permanent, no epoxied nut will withstand withstand the pressure of a properly applied breaker bar. Has anybody else used this approach. Again, staking is out of the question.

The red can be released by the application of heat, it should say on the package, maybe 275 F will cause it to flow.

One my own stuff I don't stake or even use loctite, a slight crimp on the outer end of the nut makes it a "prevailing torque nut. If I think I'm going back in, I do nothing but tighten it to torque.
Never had any of mine back-off regardless of what I did or did not do.
When working for pay on someone else's stuff I would stake.
Your call, but Blue Loctite would be plenty.
50 years or more of working on stuff, you learn what works, what doesn't, and where you can deviate from prescribed procedure with good results.
You want the stub fully seated in the splined bore, and the nut tight enough to hold it there, beyond that, it is all academic.
One doesn't stake lug nuts and they are more likely to face forces trying to pull the wheel off.
Your car, your call.

IDK, I see lug nuts all over the side of the road! Why not stake it? New ones come with the new axle, right? Yer right, it prob won't move...

One doesn't stake lug nuts and they are more likely to face forces trying to pull the wheel off.
Completely different forces going on here so this makes no sense. Lug bolts never move. The axle has significant forces being applied in both directions constantly.

Why with paying customers do you do it right (and is it per the SM you like to bring up going by)? But you and you family are less important so you don't?

The purpose of the axle nut is to hold the axle spline seated period, once it is tight it doesn't experience any shear load. It doesn't hold the bearing in place, It doesn't even keep the axle from coming completely out (as shown by the work needed to lube the splines. Its only job is to hold the spline fully seated in the hub. rotational torque is transmitted by the splines not the tension on the shaft.
So I crimp the end of the nut and it becomes a prevailing torque lock nut. As we have seen here peening often leads to damaged threads on stub if it ever has to come off again.
The reason I stake a commercial job is to prevent question like yours. Fortunately I am retired and no longer have to work on others stuff
Lug bolts loosen far more often then axle nuts. They both rotate with the wheel/hub and keep parts tightly together, but far more damage (and possible injury and death) from loose wheel then a loose axle
If the axle nut held everything together you would just remove the nut, slide the hub off and lube the splines then reinstall, Try it! it doesn't work that way!
If the axle nut becomes loose and isn't repaired right away, the damage will be to the splines, run long enough it will wipe the splines and the car will not move, but the wheel will stay on the car.

Agreed that lug nuts/bolts come off much more often then axle nuts/bolts. Ideally both would be staked but I wouldn't want to try to fix a flat tire on the side of the road if every lug nut was staked!

Latest posts

Back