Second key doesn't work (leaf 2021)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chek

Hi guys.
Recently bought 2021 leaf and it turns that the second key doesn't work.
Replaced battery. Anything to try before bringing to the dealer?
Thanks!

Yeah. I actually even disassembled both keys and swapped electrical bases to test on the battery that works. One works another doesn’t. So definitely not a battery thing.

My guess is that the second key was never programmed for the Leaf, provided that is was not broken in some way. The wireless chip inside doesn't need power to start the Leaf, try the emergency start method to see if it still does not work when directly next to the sensor.

Yeah. I actually even disassembled both keys and swapped electrical bases to test on the battery that works. One works another doesn’t. So definitely not a battery thing.
With virtually any other battery manufacturer it's hit or miss. It's really aggravating. The only battery that consistently works for me all the time is the CR2025 that was initially installed in my key FOB. It's by muRata. I get them on eBay or Amazon. I have had four Nissans since 2019 and all of the FOBs will work every time with muRata. With EverReady, Duracell or RayoVac it's hit or miss. The only thing I can think of is that different batteries from different manufacturers will have different internal resistances. Very small differences but these are extremely low current devices and can more easily be affected.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will do. If was not programmed - can you grogram it at home?
It can be programmed anywhere that you can get Nissan's Consult software to run ;-)
(short answer, if you have to ask then probably not, no. But it is at least possible and shouldn't be terribly expensive to get a dealer to do it - phone for price first perhaps and maybe consider asking locksmiths if they have the capability too)

Last edited:
Back