Leaf Spy Pro for 2021 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danelo

Just wondering if anyone using the Leaf Spy Pro had been able to turn off the various driving sounds the car makes on the 2021 Leaf. Doesn't seem possible but hoping someone has been able to do it.

No.Nissan disabled it being changed on 2018MY and later IIRC.

Edit: Disabled for 2021MY and later - thanks knightmb. IDNRC (Did Not) :D

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone using the Leaf Spy Pro had been able to turn off the various driving sounds the car makes on the 2021 Leaf. Doesn't seem possible but hoping someone has been able to do it.
Alas not, as you have found. However if you're OK with the 'VSP off' warning icon showing on the combination meter (instrument cluster) then you can simply unplug the VSP module from the wiring harness. It's located behind the glovebox which is removable with a torx screwdriver.

I also suspect it wouldn't be too hard to make a module that sends the VSP packets to the combination meter across the CAN bus to remove the VSP-off icon, however I haven't had the need to try yet because I drive a MY2018 ZE1, so that's a topic for another thread :)

If planning on using the sock solution, keep in mind that there are 3 speakers in total - two external and one internal to the cabin.

I'm not able to look up the original article just right now, but I believe I read about it being located behind the 'dashboard'. IIRC the article indicated that it produces the startup chimes when you power on and some other internal notificiation that I can't remember. I would think if you power the car off and on repeatability you may be able to trace the source of the chimes with your ear. Once you have that located, it's the same speaker.

But personally I think it's 10 times easier to just pop the glovebox out and just unplug the VSP module entirely! The glovebox comes out with 8 torx screws. I can get one out in about 2 minutes with a power driver, but the first time you try it might take you 10-15 mins. Certainly much easier than obtaining access to the speakers :)

I'm not able to look up the original article just right now, but I believe I read about it being located behind the 'dashboard'. IIRC the article indicated that it produces the startup chimes when you power on and some other internal notificiation that I can't remember. I would think if you power the car off and on repeatability you may be able to trace the source of the chimes with your ear. Once you have that located, it's the same speaker.

But personally I think it's 10 times easier to just pop the glovebox out and just unplug the VSP module entirely! The glovebox comes out with 8 torx screws. I can get one out in about 2 minutes with a power driver, but the first time you try it might take you 10-15 mins. Certainly much easier than obtaining access to the speakers :)
Unfortunately, the VSP module isn't located behind the glovebox anymore, Nissan moved it to behind the dashboard: https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ref...cle/htmlsrc/fig.html?j=2&f=2330e012725&cn=M47

Unfortunately, the VSP module isn't located behind the glovebox anymore, Nissan moved it to behind the dashboard

Ooo those sneaky buggers! Heh. Oh well, for what it's worth that location is also very easy to access - much easier than I thought it would be. Deceptively easy even! It again only takes 2-3 minutes or less to get in there, but you need to allow like 20 minutes the first time to learn where to pull.

This photo is from a right hand drive so you may have to mirror flip everything horizontally, but basically you pull first on the knee level button panel at it's top seam first, then the trim above it, followed by the trim around the air vent and finally the trim around the instrument cluster (adjust the steering wheel as far down as you can first). No tool are necessary to get it all off; all you do is gently pull around the seams.

Then there are just a couple of easily removed screws to remove the instrument 'meter' itself, and it lifts out above the steering wheel. Once that is out you have full access, but I bet you could reach the VSP plug without even unplugging and removing the meter.

Anyway just throwing it out there for anyone who reads these posts in the future to let them know it's still easily done :)

Custer-removal.jpg

Back