SCE Digital Meters and Smart Meters

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmanny3

We just recently had our meter changed out to a digital meter. This is an interm meter that will be replaced by the smart meter. The digital meter is not accessible via the internet at this time. I contacted SCE to ask about our particular setup. We have a 4.2 kwh solar system that covers about 90% of our usage. I had the digital meter assigned because this would allow me to go to a special pricing structure that gives a low rate ~$0.11 per kwh between 12 midnight and 6 am. We had this done mid June, however when I got our bill it did not show a different rate structure so I called to inquire. I was told that my new rate went into effect on June 28th. So I will have to wait to see how it comes out with this new system. This should be cheaper then what I current have. Once I exceed my tier one usage I continue to go up. For the month of June I ended up using 288 kwhrs. This is compared to last year where I had a net negative use of -73kwhrs. The only difference was the car and the weather. And of course the weather can really affect the results. We are scheduled to get the smart meter in August in 92705 zip (North Tustin). I asked about the net metering capibility. At one time the smart meter could not do net metering. I was told today that this is a programing issue and that it has been resolved. So some of the smart meters out there are not doing net metering. It may be that they do not require that fuction. I was lead to believe that with my solar system that the net metering will work when then attach the smart meter.

I asked SCE to explain the current readout of the digital meter, and here it is

1, 88 = a segment count, which means nothing for us
2, 01 = net kwhr usage
3, 02 = max use in a 15 minute interval, This changes every 15 minutes
4, 04 = nothing
5, 71 = net kwhr back to SCE
Manny :D

Cool, Manny. Your information is spot on regarding the readouts of the meter you have. It is called a IDR, Interval Data Recorder meter. It must be read manually, meaning that a meter reader comes to your house and physically plugs an optical reader into the meter to get your monthly readings. It isn't even capable of sending short range radio signals like our old meters did, to allow the meter readers to walk down your street to take readings.

I've had mine installed since about January and I've been on the TOU-D-TEV rate schedule with net metering for my solar since April. The billing works out very well for the combination of solar net metering and charging an EV late at night. For me, the benefit of being credited at a high Tier 2 rate for our solar generation during Peak hours (I think it's about 60 cents per kWh credit for net generation during that period in Summer) and charging at 11 cents or 16 cents per kWh after midnight really increases the number of miles I can drive my LEAF with no fuel costs.

There is a lot of information regarding SCE and rates, etc., on the Regional Discussions/Utilities/SCE thread. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=666

Back