San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another trip this weekend on a beautiful sunny day to San Diego State University to see the progress on the new DC FC Site in Lot G.

The equipment is installed and conduit is in place...It's getting closer...My car really wanted a drink from the DC hose...Should be soon now....

SDSU%20DCFC%201.jpg

SDSU%20DCFC%202.jpg

SDSU%20DCFC%203.jpg

SDSU%20DCFC%204.jpg

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! ;-)

SDSU_DCFC-L.jpg

It's ALIVE!!!! It's AAAALLLLIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDSU_DCFCJamie-L.jpg

. . . and they said it would never happen. ;-)

Right off of College Avenue just north of Interstate 8 in Lot "G" look for the pedestrian overpass bridge in the background and turn left going up the hill before you go under it. You'll need a permit to park, but if you only plan to be there for ~20 mins or so and don't leave the car . . . . ;-)

KMG365 said:
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! ;-)...
You'll need a permit to park, but if you only plan to be there for ~20 mins or so and don't leave the car . . . . ;-)
Thanks for the news!

If one wanted to buy a permit, is there a vending machine at that location? Or do you have to first drive to an office on the far side of campus during normal business hours and buy a 20 minute permit with a cashiers check and three forms of identification? ;->

This is not one of the permit automat serviced lots like the one by the gym, etc. (it is marked Faculty Staff 'FS" only). I really can't answer your question, but it would seem that if they did hourly checks on the lots . . . and you didn't leave the car . . . . ;-)

I found out today that the university has plans to place a parking permit vending machine in Lot G on the other side of the lot from the DC FC. The cost of a permit for the DC FC is supposed to be 50 cents, not sure of the duration....I'll post more when I know more....

Randy

Randy said:
I found out today that the university has plans to place a parking permit vending machine in Lot G on the other side of the lot from the DC FC. The cost of a permit for the DC FC is supposed to be 50 cents, not sure of the duration....I'll post more when I know more....

Randy
Stopped by today and both spots were ICE'd. There is no signage so there's no way to enforce them being left open. You'd think at least Faculty/Staff might be a bit more observant than your average 20 year old SDSU student, but then they are two of the most convenient spots to the bridge and they have no markings whatsoever . . . just a HUGE video screen displaying that they are for charging electric cars. :-/

Wow, it WORKS! (sort of). I was there last night from about 7 to 7:30. Scanned my Blink card, told it to charge to 100% and plugged in. The screen said I started at 41% (higher than the GOM showed) and it charged for 25 minutes and quit at 90%. I don't know why it didn't go to 100% like I told it to. Odd thing was the GOM showed the same state of charge I have in the mornings after charging to 80%. I wonder which was correct?

A few weird things about the DCFC, it took longer than I would have expected to actually start charging once I plugged in. It was probably about a minute or less, but it was long enough to make me wonder if something was wrong. Also, the handle automatically closed as I inserted the plug.

Anyway, it's neat to have it there, even though it's only 2 miles from my house. At least I know my QC port works.

When you start below 50%, the LEAF itself stops you at 80%. The percentage reported to the Blink is known to be wrong, that's why it read 90%. Had you chosen to stop at 80% you would have stopped short of an actual 80%.

New Chargepoint location at the 32nd Street Navy Exchange adjacent to the Harbor Drive entrance. No signage yet, both parking spots in front of unit were ICE'd when I was there last weekend.

20130127123823802.jpg

I went to the Walgreens at Midway and Rosecrans to get a charge on Feb 5th and found the plug was broken. I was able to plug it in anyway, but the charger stuck at "Waiting for Vehicle" and never initiated a charge. It is a ChargePro and I didn't have the phone number to report it. I have a ChargePoint card and called them but found out apparently they are a different company.

A trip to the South Bay for visiting charging stations....

First stop, Kohls in Chula Vista...Located at 1870 Main St in Chula Vista, it's on the way to the Cricket amphitheater. There is a Soup Plantation in the same center, so you can grab something to eat while charging...

And, by the way, both of the Kohls stores in San Diego are free to drivers for charging (with your Blink Card to start the session). Let the store know you are supporting them by going inside and making a purchase...

Kohls%20CV%201.jpg

Kohls%20CV%202.jpg

Kohls%20CV%203.jpg

Then next stop was the Macys store in Otay Mesa...Located in the Otay Ranch Center, the charging stations are on the south side of the mall/store. There are two units and they are spread between the ADA and regular parking places, no problem getting a place to charge. Came back to town on the 125 tol road, which was a new experience...

Macys%20CV%201.jpg

Macys%20CV%202.jpg

Macys%20CV%203.jpg

San Diego's 3rd DC Fast Charging Station opens today...Other sites include SDSU Lot G and, of course, Santa Ysabel...

Located at the Best Western Hotel in Escondido, one block from I-15 at El Norte Parkway at 1700 7 Oakes Rd...An excellent gateway to reach Temecula or Murrietta for San Diego EV Drivers...Charging is free right now, with the billing system anticipated to be turned on in a few weeks...

This DC FC is part of a compact installation featuring a new 400 amp electric service at 208v, and the Blink DC FC is pictured in the West-facing parking lot of the hotel, alongside a Level 2 charging station that will fulfill the ADA parking requirement...Two more DC FC stations are starting construction, so the fleet in San Diego is growing...

Best%20Western%201.jpg

Best%20Western%202.jpg

Best%20Western%203.jpg

Best%20Western%204.jpg

Great news Randy, thanks! It's an excellent location.

It looks like this may be the first Blink QC to begin charging for use, so we'll finally be able to see how their rates will compare with EVoasis, and with gasoline.

Thanks, Walter. My info is that all of the Blink QC stations nationwide will start billing for use soon. I didn't mean to make it seem like this was the only one...Pricing and other details (like how it will be rolled out) should be released soon...

Randy said:
Then next stop was the Macys store in Otay Mesa...Located in the Otay Ranch Center, the charging stations are on the south side of the mall/store. There are two units and they are spread between the ADA and regular parking places, no problem getting a place to charge. Came back to town on the 125 tol road, which was a new experience...

Thanks for all the the updates and photos Randy. I'm going to start trying my Blink card more on some of these new stations when I have a chance - we only ever tried it a time or two (Balboa Park, Ikea Mission Valley) before they started charging to charge - can you clarify whether when you stop in to check out/test all these various L2 stations, is the fee in whole hour increments no matter how long you are plugged in, or do they pro-rate per minute if you physically unplug after a shorter time period? I seem to remember someone (maybe you) saying that $5 or so was all that was hitting their credit card on average per month - to me that would seem to indicate it could be pro-rated...or maybe that person only hit 5 stations once each perhaps for less than an hour but it was still a total of 5 x $1 rounded up.

Blink fees are currently $1, $1.50 or $2 per hour depending on your membership. It is for the whole hour, so if you plug in for five minutes, it will charge for an hour.

The EVoasis DC CHAdeMO charger in south Orange County, at Residence Inn in San Juan Capistrano (across from the Nissan dealer) charges by the minute.

Of course, Tony is correct. Partial hour EV charging is rounded up to the next whole hour increment for billing (for Blink units).

There are still a few free stations around town as well, including the two Kohls locations...

Work is in progress on the 117-ish City of San Diego charging stations that the City Council signed off on before the end of last year, as well as other munis such as Chula Vista....Many more units coming over the next couple of months...

Randy

The charger at the Walgreen's at 3005 Midway is out of commission. The charger that plugs into the car is broken. Somebody must have drove over it or something. I am not sure if Walgreen's is aware. But, for the time being it is not working.

I believe Gary reported that on the previous page.

If you see it broken, and you are there, I would encourage you to go inside and bring it to their attention...I'll see if I can email the 350Green contact I have and see what they know about it...

Back