San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the charger in the Walgreens parking lot in San Diego. I went in and bought a couple things and asked the manager if I could charge while I did some shopping in the area. He was really nice and said it is nice to see somebody using it. There are several stores like Sprouts, TJ Maxx, Home Goods and other stores close by.

exbauer said:
I used the charger in the Walgreens parking lot in San Diego. I went in and bought a couple things and asked the manager if I could charge while I did some shopping in the area. He was really nice and said it is nice to see somebody using it. There are several stores like Sprouts, TJ Maxx, Home Goods and other stores close by.

Select a Walgreen Store
3900 5TH AVE STE 110 SAN DIEGO 92103 (619) 291-5474
640 UNIVERSITY AVENUE San Diego 92103 (619) 295-6688
3222 UNIVERSITY AVE SAN DIEGO 92104 (619) 528-1793
4029 43RD ST., STE 700 SAN DIEGO 92105 (619) 521-9753
3005 MIDWAY DR SAN DIEGO 92110 (619) 221-0834
5504 BALBOA AVE SAN DIEGO 92111 (858) 495-9155
8766 NAVAJO RD SAN DIEGO 92119 (619) 667-8764
10787 CAMINO RUIZ SAN DIEGO 92126 (858) 437-0761

TonyWilliams said:
exbauer said:

Select a Walgreen Store
3900 5TH AVE STE 110 SAN DIEGO 92103 (619) 291-5474
640 UNIVERSITY AVENUE San Diego 92103 (619) 295-6688
3222 UNIVERSITY AVE SAN DIEGO 92104 (619) 528-1793
4029 43RD ST., STE 700 SAN DIEGO 92105 (619) 521-9753
3005 MIDWAY DR SAN DIEGO 92110 (619) 221-0834
5504 BALBOA AVE SAN DIEGO 92111 (858) 495-9155
8766 NAVAJO RD SAN DIEGO 92119 (619) 667-8764
10787 CAMINO RUIZ SAN DIEGO 92126 (858) 437-0761

He must have been referring to the Walgreen's at 3005 MIDWAY DR SAN DIEGO 92110

Of all the Walgreen's list only that one and the one at 8766 NAVAJO RD SAN DIEGO 92119 have EVSEs (that I know of).

There are quite a few Walgreens in and around town with EVSEs...

Walgreens (ChargePro) - 621 I St, Chula Vista - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 1111 Third Ave, Chula Vista - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 111 W. Washington Ave, Escondido - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 3005 Midway Dr, San Diego - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 8766 Navajo (at Lake Murray), La Mesa - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 215 N. 2nd St., El Cajon - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 13390 Poway Road (at Community Rd), Poway - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 310 Sycamore Ave, Vista - 1 unit (free)

Randy said:
There are quite a few Walgreens in and around town with EVSEs...

Walgreens (ChargePro) - 621 I St, Chula Vista - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 1111 Third Ave, Chula Vista - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 111 W. Washington Ave, Escondido - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 3005 Midway Dr, San Diego - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 8766 Navajo (at Lake Murray), La Mesa - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 215 N. 2nd St., El Cajon - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 13390 Poway Road (at Community Rd), Poway - 1 unit (free)
Walgreens (ChargePro) - 310 Sycamore Ave, Vista - 1 unit (free)

Thanks Randy, I've used a few of those.

I had meant those two of the list Tony posted, but my brain was faster than my fingers again...

...by the way, any pictures of the lights this year?

Will the EVOasis in SJC allow me to bring the battery up to 100% (12 bars)?
How long will that take if I get there w/ ~2 bars?
Any word on Ecotality's plan to put one just north or south of Camp Pendleton?
-SD LEAF owner

scr71 said:
Will the EVOasis in SJC allow me to bring the battery up to 100% (12 bars)?
How long will that take if I get there w/ ~2 bars?
I've used it just twice but my impression is: Yes you can go to 100%. But going from 20% to 80% will take 30 minutes, and 80% to 100% will be another 30 minutes - not much faster than L2 - and your cost will double. Depending on your travel plans you might do better to charge there to 80% and finish the charge on L2 in the direction you're traveling at a location where you can eat or shop.
Any word on Ecotality's plan to put one just north or south of Camp Pendleton?
-SD LEAF owner
It would sure be nice to have enough QC stations that if one were broken there would be an alternate. But given their track record I'd expect EVoasis to open their next station at Newport Beach, Laguna Niguel, Carlsbad, or Encinitas before Ecotality opened a station.

Made a visit today to check on the progress of the 3rd San Diego Blink DC FC station. Just for fun, can you guess where it might be? :)

Concrete is poured, conduits are stubbed up, bollards in place, just waiting for equipment delivery in a few days, and then installation and wiring...It won't be long....

I also need to make a visit to the 2nd DC FC location, which is further along...Maybe tomorrow...

mystery_dcfc.jpg

Escondido is the #2 site.

This one is SDSU, Lot G.

Haven't been involved with any DC FC at UCSD...Would that be the CEC grant funding they received for another brand of station? Don't think there are any Blink DC FC going there in the near future...

Escondido isn't on-line yet, but will be soon. It is at the Best Western on 7 Oakes Rd...

Gateway to I-15 and Temecula...

I don't have a problem w/ SDSU & Escondido getting L3 chargers, but doesn't it seem the clear priority should be the busiest long-distance corridor (I-5 b/w SD & OC)?? I voiced the same opinion to the Ecotality folks at the plugin event in SD in Sept & he said they were close to installing a unit in southern OC, but still nothing!
I'd trade access to a hundred L2 chargers in SD city for a few L3's in Oceanside & San Onofre.

Just one man's opinion. Do the Ecotality/Blink folks even follow this website/forum?

Glad you "don't have a problem" with more DC FC's going in. :)

By the way, on a technicality, they are not really called L3 stations any longer in the US. The SAE folks have issued definitions of the various types of charging stations and what we're talking about are called DC Level 2 stations (or DC Fast Charging stations)...I usually call them DC FC's....

Anyways, I've said this before, and I'll say it again...In a perfect world, we'd space the charging stations out and work it into the regional travel model, close to the freeways, and build travel gateways for out of towners to come here and travel back, as well as for local residents to use to springboard to their destinations.

But the cold reality is that while the Blink charging station hardware is covered entirely by the DOE grant, the installation costs are merely subsidized. Therefore, in most cases, it takes a dedicated host site to step up and SHARE SOME COST. That is why the site acquisition part of placing charging stations is the most challenging of all, especially in these economic times...

If I were king :) , even for a day, the one single change I'd make with the DOE grants and the CEC grants would be to fund less stations, but pay 100% of the costs to install them. Then we could get people to apply to get the stations for free at their businesses, perhaps even get more people to apply than the number of stations available and actually choose some of the best locations that way. A little friendly competition...

But as long as business owners have to spend cold hard cash to install the charging stations, it makes it much tougher to site charging stations...That's why good site suggestions are not needed as much as willing hosts for the process....

The good news, though, is that there is momentum building, and more charging stations are on the drawing boards (including DC FC)....

scr71 said:
I don't have a problem w/ SDSU & Escondido getting L3 chargers, but doesn't it seem the clear priority should be the busiest long-distance corridor (I-5 b/w SD & OC)??...
It's not SDSU, it's UCSD, which is near I-5 and Escondido is good placement for traveling up I-15. That said, I'd use the UCSD one more often than I would one in Oceanside, just because I'm in that area more often. I can think of at least two times I spent twiddling my thumbs at L2s not far from there, (and once on L1 :roll:) because I needed it to get home.

Back