San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another stop on the May 19 San Diego Public Charging tour was the Stone Brewery in Escondido at 1999 Citracado Parkway (near the new Palomar Pomerado Hospital under construction). Stone has a double-headed GE Wattstation installed near the front door and the existing handicapped parking places. Even though there's a card reader for each of the two J1772 nozzles, it isn't required at this time and the charging is free. Just hook up and go inside for a frosty beverage! The unit makes a very large buzzing sound when charging, but it seemed to work okay...I pulled 1.8 kWh in 30 minutes from this station, and then headed on down the road to the next stop (Flux Power)...

Stone%20Brewery%201.jpg

Stone%20Brewery%202.jpg

Stone%20Brewery%203.jpg

Flux Power is located at 2240 Auto Park Way in Escondidio, just north of the auto dealers. They have two Blink units installed in the front of their business in the parking lot. One of the units is near the Handicapped parking spaces (short pedestal unit), and the second unit is accessible by a couple of the regular parking places. There isn't anything to do that I saw within a short walking distance, but the units are publically available and ready to go if you need them...They are relatively close to I-15, as is the Nissan dealer's charging stations...

On to the next stop (Macy's at the North County Fair shopping mall)...

Flux%20Power%201.jpg

Macy's at the North County Fair shopping mall is located at 220 E Via Rancho Parkway. The two Blink public charging stations are located right outside the Macy's south entrance. Macy's has specially stickered these units to let customers know that they are free to use, and they have a welcome message from Macy's to come in and shop while you're charging. Due to the configuration of the charging stations and the parking places, there are a few nearby spaces where you can get a charge by stretching the cord if the spaces are ICE'd.

There is lots to do while your car is charging, including a food court and several larger restaurants outside in the mall parking lot. This is a great location to get a charge while you occupy yourself in the mall...

This was the last stop of the May 19 Public Charging Tour for today...More to come next week as we set out to make a trip to local area charging stations so you can see where they're located and what is nearby..

Macys%20NCF%201.jpg

Macys%20NCF%202.jpg

Macys%20NCF%203.jpg

So I have a question about the charger that is supposed to be located at 5823 Newton Drive, Suite 130 in Carlsbad, CA - I actually work in this building and there isn't a charger that I know of. The Company listed with the listing on the first page recently vacated the suite - are the chargers perhaps at their new space?

BrutusMom said:
So I have a question about the charger that is supposed to be located at 5823 Newton Drive, Suite 130 in Carlsbad, CA - I actually work in this building and there isn't a charger that I know of. The Company listed with the listing on the first page recently vacated the suite - are the chargers perhaps at their new space?
I think the address may be wrong. A plugshare review says it's across from the Residence Inn - appears to be one of the Callaway Golf buildings. I can try to remember to swing by after work, it's not much out of the way for me.

drees said:
BrutusMom said:
I think the address may be wrong. A plugshare review says it's across from the Residence Inn - appears to be one of the Callaway Golf buildings. I can try to remember to swing by after work, it's not much out of the way for me.

That makes sense - my office is right there as well and I will swing by & check it out. SKILZ just moved into the Callaway building on the corner of Faraday and College.

The company hosting the chargers in question is SKLZ, and my understanding is that they are not supposed to be on the Blink map because they are workplace charging stations and not open to the public. They should be coming off the map soon....

Randy said:
The company hosting the chargers in question is SKLZ, and my understanding is that they are not supposed to be on the Blink map because they are workplace charging stations and not open to the public. They should be coming off the map soon....

Good to know!!

THANKS! :D

Randy said:
FWIW, I swung by this evening, it is across Faraday from the Mariott - pull into the parking lot and head to the right, they right up front. The unit on the left sits between a regular and handicap spot.

Looked like both stations were operational, though I didn't test the tall one. The one on the left charged fine after swiping my Blink card and entering my zip code. Parking lot had a few cars in it even though it was 9:30pm, looked like there were still a few people working inside and you can see the construction work being done. No signage of any sort that I noticed. I edited/added entries on plugshare and recargo accordingly.

Apologies for the grainy night pics and sloppy parking job!
blink1e.jpg
blink2h.jpg

More San Diego public EVSEs on Randy's recent weekend Charging Station tour...

First up...Costa Verde near UTC at 8650 Genesee Ave in University City. There are three Blink units installed here, in the underground parking structure near the Bookstar store. Plenty to do here while you're waiting for a charge. Pictured below is the entrance to the parking garage. The Blink units are easy to spot in the center of the garage, mounted on the wall. Parking is a little tight here, but there are lots of handicapped spaces available. These units sometimes have been having network connectivy issues, being underground, but that should be fixed up soon...

Costa%20Verde%201.jpg

Costa%20Verde%202.jpg

A little further north, there is a single legacy charging station located in the North Parking Structure at Scripps Green Hospital at 10666 N. Torrey Pines Rd. It is on the second floor. This unit was upgraded to a new Clipper Creek CS-40 unit from the CEC retrofit program and while there is no charge to use it, you do have to pay to park during the week. Not a lot to do while waiting for a charge, unless you or a family member are here for a medical appointment.

Scripps%20Green%201.jpg

Scripps%20Green%202.jpg

Scripps%20Green%203.jpg

Next stop on the charging station tour is the Kohls store at 9412 Mission Gorge Road in Santee. They have two Blink units installed here in the parking lot near the store. There is a Lowe's store next door if you need anything there while waiting. And pretty soon, there will be an In-N-Out and a Chick-Fil-A in the parking lot at the Kohls store, as it recently approved by the Santee City Council...

Kohls%20Santee%201.jpg

Kohls%20Santee%202.jpg

Just down the road from Kohls are the new charging stations at the Macy's store in El Cajon's Parkway Plaza (291 Fletcher Parkway)...There are 2 Blink units here, anmd plenty to do while charging. There is a Best Buy store just across the parking lot, as well as other mall stores to spend time in while waiting...

Macys%20Parkway%201.jpg

Macys%20Parkway%202.jpg

Final stop for this week's tour is at the Walgreens store in La Mesa, located at 8766 Navajo Road. This is a ChargePro unit, and is currently free to use. The digital display give you connect time, as well as real-time power level and a total kWh reading as well for your charging session. A very nice little unit, located on the side of the Walgreens store for customers...

Walgreens%20Navajo%201.jpg

Walgreens%20Navajo%202.jpg

Walgreens%20Navajo%203.jpg

Randy said:
Next stop on the charging station tour is the Kohls store at 9412 Mission Gorge Road in Santee. They have two Blink units installed here in the parking lot near the store. There is a Lowe's store next door if you need anything there while waiting. And pretty soon, there will be an In-N-Out and a Chick-Fil-A in the parking lot at the Kohls store...
Marieta's next door has good Mexican food. https://plus.google.com/108863723783527104600/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

This is one of the best charging station installations I've seen. They aren't the very best parking spaces, so they attract fewer ICE vehicles. They are very well marked. And the two Blink units can reach about 8 different parking spaces.

Charger at the VA Medical Center in La Jolla

It is located along the west side of the VA Building - it is a Chargepoint Charger, but it looks like a Government Vehicle (Volt) is 'dedicated' to that charger. Knowing the federal VA Parking police, I'd just head over to the chargers at the Salk Institute on the other side of campus. But, if in jam, this could be helpful.

Latitude 32.875857, Longitude -117.233337

imag0849c.jpg

Blink chargers in Carmel Valley at the Kilroy Building at the western end of the 56 Freeway. These 3 chargers are public, and could be convenient to folks since they are pretty much right off the 5 freeway.

They are in the parking structure between "entrance 2 and entrance 3" ... spots are blocked off by white cones. You can also just park in the uncovered lot opposite the structure. The office buildings nearby are a hotel, Scripps Medical offices, and down to the east side of the property: a Shell gas station, Starbucks, and soon to be open Chipotle. Across the street (north) is a Vons, Souplantation, ACE hardware, 31 flavors, and a pet store. Easy to spend a few hours if you need to.

Take Carmel Valley Road off the 5, Left on El Camino Real, Right on Valley Centre Dr, and turn right onto Kilroy Driveway (thats the name of the street).. turn right and drive into the covered parking structure.

Latitude 32.936919
Longitude -117.233691

imag0903.jpg

imag0904t.jpg

Back