Rolling Shots

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nader

I'm making this thread to track the evolution of my rolling shots. I have been experimenting with a new setup for a car mounted boom pole so that the camera tracks. I'm not thrilled with the initial results so I haven't bothered photoshopping out the boom pole just yet. I'm currently using a 12' Manfrotto AutoPole 2 and I'm working on adding some cable stiffeners. I'll probably get a 20' stick of aluminum tubing from the metal yard this week instead of drilling tons of holes for cable standoffs in my AutoPole. Anyway, here are some progress shots so far. These shots are taken in the .8-3 second range and the car is barely moving. In some cases it's being pushed and in others we are modulating the brake and just creeping forward. Minimizing camera shake is the name of the game here.

img_2422.jpg

img_2449.jpg

img_2485.jpg

img_2368.jpg

Love the headlight blue-ish reflections you got in those shots. That's commercial grade material. It would be nice to see after you photoshop them... don't forget to remove the bugs on your front spoiler tough ;-)

Uggh, yes. The car was filthy that night. That's another reason I dont wan to PS them. It's easier to wash the car then to sit and clone the crap out of the car. The next set will be once the car has new wheels (and is clean!)

Nice! What are you going to use these shots for? You mention camera shake, so I presume the cable stiffeners your talking about are to form a virtual tripod and stabilize the camera more releative to the car body. What is it about these shots you're not thrilled with?

ElectricVehicle said:
You mention camera shake, so I presume the cable stiffeners your talking about are to form a virtual tripod and stabilize the camera more releative to the car body.

Bingo on the virtual tripod! I'm in to photography and videography so it's just for personal use really although I'm hoping to try and monetize the car shots if possible in the future.

The whole idea of modding/tracking the car is to try and help generate a broader acceptance. If I can make it look more aggressive then the average joe might take it more seriously. Plus it's a fact that aftermarket industry and factory performance divisions help sell cars. I also have a sickness and the only cure is more mods!

This will be great if you add mods and take comparative photos with the boom,
The coil over mod is a great example, adding a body kit, wheels etc.

Maybe get together with nader or Skywagon with their coil over setups and mount the boom on their cars?

Nothing fancy. Standard light rigging equipment. They just happen to all be from Manfrotto in this case. You can have a pretty nice setup for under 40 bux including boom pole and accessories.

2- Manfrotto Avengers suction mounts
1- Manfrotto Autopole2 12' (i'm changing this out)
1-Manfrotto Magic Arm
3-Manfrotto 2" clamps

The challenge is stabilizing the boom arm while keeping weight low. I am building a stiffer and longer 17' boom out of 2" OD, .065" wall AL tubing. I am then adding some long eyelets to support the addition of cable stiffeners.

I'm also going to experiment with lighter cameras. you don't need a DSLR for this, just a point and shoot with full manual control. THe only downside is that you can't use filters like a CPL or a graduated ND.

nader said:
The whole idea of modding/tracking the car is to try and help generate a broader acceptance. If I can make it look more aggressive then the average joe might take it more seriously. Plus it's a fact that aftermarket industry and factory performance divisions help sell cars. I also have a sickness and the only cure is more mods!

Totally agree and exactly what I sensed in your photos. The LEAF is normally shot static which is REALLY boring. It is SOOO nice to finally see dynamic shots instead. THANK YOU!

TRONZ said:
[

Totally agree and exactly what I sensed in your photos. The LEAF is normally shot static which is REALLY boring. It is SOOO nice to finally see dynamic shots instead. THANK YOU!

Agreed. I just realized looking at these shots that all others I've seen of Leafs give them the quality of a museum piece or knick-knacks.

Back