Returned my leaf after 36 months and 30k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fromport said:
I found "my car" advertised by a dealer.
It has gone through an auction and asking price now is $2k less then residual price I had on my lease

http://www.auto.com/cars/Nissan-Leaf-SL-2011-JN1AZ0CP5BT004780

Internet Special: $14,288.00

I assume they are making a profit on it when selling, so it is safe to assume the leasing company didn't get more then $12k for it at the auction.

Yet they wanted > $16k from me at end of lease.

They haven't sold it yet and is down to $13k

TomT said:
It is brain dead on the part of Nissan. "We will refuse to negotiate with you so that we can loose thousands on every lease turn in..." A great business plan!

fromport said:
I assume they are making a profit on it when selling, so it is safe to assume the leasing company didn't get more then $12k for it at the auction.
Yet they wanted > $16k from my at end of lease.

After more than a year on the lot of a dealer, they just lowered the price to $9998
That is $6k under the end of lease price they were asking when I turned it in!
Somebody is making a terrible loss on cars like this.

fromport said:
TomT said:
It is brain dead on the part of Nissan. "We will refuse to negotiate with you so that we can loose thousands on every lease turn in..." A great business plan!

fromport said:

After more than a year on the lot of a dealer, they just lowered the price to $9998

Yeah, how well do you think that battery was taken care of? After a year of sitting on the lot, it's probably safe to assume it will soon need a replacement. Then again, if it's still under warranty, that's one heck of a steal...

My 2011SL is going back to Town North Nissan Austin, Texas next week. It has all the bars and 10,700 miles. In perfect shape and barely driven.

Ian B

fromport said:
TomT said:

fromport said:

Not a bad price at all now! People are clearly scared to death of these things used.

Just looked on cars.com for some local leafs. $13-15k for '12/'13 Leafs with 20-25k on them. Guessing all 24 month lease turn ins.

="EatsShootsandLeafs"... People are clearly scared to death of these things used...
OH MY GOD, ITS A BLOODBATH!

Calm down, you're going to be OK.

Used LEAF prices have fallen rapidly over ~the last year, as have prices for all other used BEVs and PHEVs.

Lower gas prices and large price cuts/lease incentives on new BEVs, have forced down their prices.

When a California buyer can lease a Spark EV for ~75 a month (after state rebate) people choose the bargain, and used BEV buyers are taken off the market.
="EatsShootsandLeafs"...Just looked on cars.com for some local leafs. $13-15k for '12/'13 Leafs with 20-25k on them...
Not surprising, since new LEAF prices,post-incentive, are only a few $k more than that, ~$16k-$17k for buyers in Georgia, California's central Valley, or Colorado:

The starting price of a Nissan Leaf is about $16,348** in Colorado...
http://www.hybridcars.com/nissan-leaf-nets-below-16500-in-denver-now-gets-2-yrs-free-charging-with-no-charge-to-charge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 2011 SL went back today. Took ten mins to get odometer reading, copy inspection doc I brought, sign off and turn over the keys. Only has 10,760 miles and all 12 bars.

Now shopping for my i3.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
My 2011 SL went back today. Took ten mins to get odometer reading, copy inspection doc I brought, sign off and turn over the keys. Only has 10,760 miles and all 12 bars.

Now shopping for my i3.

Ian B

With the used prices being what they are, somebody is going to get one heck of a deal on your car!

Enjoy your i3. It's quirky looking, but a blast to drive!

Back