"Replacement key FOB cannot be reprogrammed" ... says dealer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baustin said:
commasense said:
Here in Vegas, all the dealers want at least $120 to reprogram another key, and at least 3 locksmiths I found on Angie's List also want $120. No cheap way out for me, except that I bought the fob on eBay for less than $50, and didn't pay the dealer $180+. :x

Planet Nissan charged me $80 to do the programming and cut the key. However, that was about 14 months ago, and the car was still under the original warranty. I bought a new FOB and blank key from an out-of-state Nissan dealer for about $100. Planet Nissan wanted $300 to supply the key, FOB, and do programming.
I spoke to the parts department and got the same story, so I bought a fob online. When I call to make an appointment to reprogram the car with the new fob, I'll mention that I know someone who was only charged $80 and see if they'll give me that price.

Also, the dealer does not program the FOB to the car, they program the car to recognize the FOB. All the FOBs that the car is to respond to have to be present when the programming is done.[/quote]Good point. Thanks for reminding us.

BTW, I see a lot of people capitalizing "FOB" as though it were an acronym. It's not, in this setting. In business, FOB stands for Free On Board, and denotes "where the liability responsibility for the goods transfers from the seller to the buyer," according to Wikipedia. It can also stand for Forward Operating Base in the military.

But neither of those have anything to do with the thing you carry in your pocket, whether it opens your car or is just a little bauble at the end of your pocket watch chain (the original meaning). Fob comes from the German for pocket, fuppe, entered English in the 17th century, and is just an ordinary word that doesn't need to be capitalized.

(Sorry, I'm a professional copy editor, and just can't help myself. :D )

commasense said:
BTW, I see a lot of people capitalizing "FOB" as though it were an acronym. It's not, in this setting. In business, FOB stands for Free On Board, and denotes "where the liability responsibility for the goods transfers from the seller to the buyer," according to Wikipedia. It can also stand for Forward Operating Base in the military.

But neither of those have anything to do with the thing you carry in your pocket, whether it opens your car or is just a little bauble at the end of your pocket watch chain (the original meaning). Fob comes from the German for pocket, fuppe, entered English in the 17th century, and is just an ordinary word that doesn't need to be capitalized.

(Sorry, I'm a professional copy editor, and just can't help myself. :D )

Thanks for that , I'm not sure if I did it just because I was imitating how others were writing it or if I do that all the time. It probably comes from the idea that any word with three letters MUST be a TLA.

commasense said:
baustin said:
commasense said:
Here in Vegas, all the dealers want at least $120 to reprogram another key, and at least 3 locksmiths I found on Angie's List also want $120. No cheap way out for me, except that I bought the fob on eBay for less than $50, and didn't pay the dealer $180+. :x

Planet Nissan charged me $80 to do the programming and cut the key. However, that was about 14 months ago, and the car was still under the original warranty. I bought a new FOB and blank key from an out-of-state Nissan dealer for about $100. Planet Nissan wanted $300 to supply the key, FOB, and do programming.
I spoke to the parts department and got the same story, so I bought a fob online. When I call to make an appointment to reprogram the car with the new fob, I'll mention that I know someone who was only charged $80 and see if they'll give me that price.

The service advisor I worked with at Planet Nissan is Andrew Brack (702) 839-6165.

Glad you found your key. But if anyone is in this situation and needs a new key made, I would check out local hardware stores and locksmiths. There are Locksmiths in Aventura who can make you a new key at an affordable rate. Way cheaper than the dealer.

Stay away from the dealer. Best to call around "automotive locksmiths" in your area for a quote. Used LEAF FOBs can definitely be reprogrammed, although some locksmiths don't want to use customer supplied fobs.

In Boulder Colorado this shop will provide a good used (but new looking) LEAF Fob, program everything, and include a cut door key for $150 total.

http://www.boulderhc.com

3prongpaul said:
Stay away from the dealer. Best to call around "automotive locksmiths" in your area for a quote. Used LEAF FOBs can definitely be reprogrammed, although some locksmiths don't want to use customer supplied fobs.

In Boulder Colorado this shop will provide a good used (but new looking) LEAF Fob, program everything, and include a cut door key for $150 total.

http://www.boulderhc.com
How is this possible if all existing fobs need to be present for the programing

Back