Replace Key Fob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

Seems I have misplaced or lost one of the key fobs that came with the car, leaving me with only one.

Dealer said it would be in the vicinity of $300 to replace it.

Are there any other options or suggestions out there.

Have you abandoned all hope? It must be somewhere. Where did you see it last?

I'll put a dollar on: Slipped out of your pocket and is between drivers seat and console, deep down.

Second guess , deep in the cushions of your spot on the couch.

Whatever you do, don't lose the other one, or at least keep that little metal tag with the number on it somewhere safe. Otherwise I understand they have to tear out all the electronic locking equipment in your car and put in a whole new matching set. $300 will sound like peanuts.

Ray

how about a junkyard or ebay? Those keys are on all nissans aren't they? Surely at least one has been wrecked by now... but the key is still good!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Have you abandoned all hope? It must be somewhere. Where did you see it last?

I'll put a dollar on: Slipped out of your pocket and is between drivers seat and console, deep down.

Second guess , deep in the cushions of your spot on the couch.

It's been over a month now…like a Beagle who went out one evening to relieve itself and (so far) hasn't returned.

I've looked all the suggested places. What these need is a GPS tracking device or something "wired to the telematics of the car," so it can be called like a missing cell phone. I'd pay extra for a GPS tracking device in it!!

Slim chance I left it in a vacation home, but I won't be there 'til spring!!

Am close to getting a replacement!!

planet4ever said:
Whatever you do, don't lose the other one, or at least keep that little metal tag with the number on it somewhere safe.

What metal tag with a number? I don't have one of those for my keys.

Can I perhaps suggest a Tile for your keychain:

http://www.thetileapp.com/#on-the-go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you checked with a locksmith? One in my local area advertises remotes for most vehicles; 450 remotes and smart keys in stock. No idea of prices.

mwalsh said:
planet4ever said:
Whatever you do, don't lose the other one, or at least keep that little metal tag with the number on it somewhere safe.

What metal tag with a number? I don't have one of those for my keys.

Would have come on a wire ring with the fobs when you got the car. You may have put them in the glove box with your manuals? It's very small, maybe 1/4 inch or so.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Would have come on a wire ring with the fobs when you got the car. You may have put them in the glove box with your manuals? It's very small, maybe 1/4 inch or so.

I'll have to take a look. It's been three years, but I do remember both my keys being already on a dealership key-chain when I got my car. I don't remember there being anything else on it other than the two keys.

mwalsh said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

I'll have to take a look. It's been three years, but I do remember both my keys being already on a dealership key-chain when I got my car. I don't remember there being anything else on it other than the two keys.
The LEAF definitely comes with one of these tags, as have both of my previous cars (Elantra and Prius). I always save that number as a contact entry in my phone once I take delivery - just in case. They've all been 5-digit numbers.

Yup, little metal tag about 1/4" x 3/4" with a 5 digit number on it. Mine's on a ring along with a plastic tag with the vin # and model/paint.

Damn. I really don't think I got anything like that.

Nope...just checked my car file and the keychain with my second fob. Nothing. So if Nissan or the dealer didn't record it, I'd better be darn careful with my fobs (and to do otherwise would be really out of character for me).

Just checked the 3rd fob we got as a last resort backup when we bought the car. Sure enough, little tag was on the ring. Took it off and filed it for safekeeping and wrote number down! Ah, this forum continues to enlighten me :D

Kataphn said:
Just checked the 3rd fob we got as a last resort backup when we bought the car. Sure enough, little tag was on the ring. Took it off and filed it for safekeeping and wrote number down! Ah, this forum continues to enlighten me :D

I don't remember any metal tag coming with my keys.

Service manager seemed to indicate getting a replacement was no problem.

Maybe the information comes from the VIN number. (It did on my '04 Passat TDI, when I replaced the fob..although it was different.)

Since I am going to buy a replacement fob, I will update as soon as I have more information.

greengate said:
Kataphn said:

I don't remember any metal tag coming with my keys.

Service manager seemed to indicate getting a replacement was no problem.

Maybe the information comes from the VIN number. (It did on my '04 Passat TDI, when I replaced the fob..although it was different.)

Since I am going to buy a replacement fob, I will update as soon as I have more information.

And? Seems like I am in the market for one as well..

voganni said:
Yup, little metal tag about 1/4" x 3/4" with a 5 digit number on it. Mine's on a ring along with a plastic tag with the vin # and model/paint.

Found mine (with my other FOB): learn something every day :geek:

When I was at the dealers today for a free car wash, bagel and coffee, in came a Leaf on a flatbed.

The owner had lost both of her fob's, so the car had to be transported to the dealer.

I just had 2 spares made as I lost one earlier. There was no metal tag involved. They just used a computer to program the 2 new fobs and a key cutter, (I think,) to make the small key that's inserted in the fob. Labor was 1 hour, ($140,) and the parts were $316, (135.90 for each fob and 22.35 for each key.) Total charges were $456 which included 28.49 in sales tax. With a 20% discount on the parts and labor, the final cost was $393.69. I saved 1/2 on the labor by getting the second fob and key rather than one fob and key.

One fob is now in the safe deposit box in the bank, one is in the house where I keep duplicate keys and the third is zipped up in the inner pocket of my winter coat. All are safe and relieved to be in a safe place and I am once again sleeping at night!! :D

Dealer just quoted me.

135.00 for the FOB
100.00 TO PROGRAM
22.35 TO CUT KEY
6.00% MICHIGAN TX = 272.80 !!!!!!!!!!
(MOST EBAY FOBS ARE USED AND NO WARRANTY)
IF DEALER HAS PROBLEM WITH PROGRAMMING YOU WOULD BE SOL.

Back