Regenerative braking per mile

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairyCairy

I was looking at my stats in carwings and noticed in My Driving Style...Braking Techniques...that I was at zero per mile and that was an average level.
At first I thought hmm...maybe something is wrong with my regenerative braking system. After all my commute involves 1000 feet to sea level one way and i am definitely in the green most of the time.
My other two stats, I am level four on consumed electricity and level five on vehicle accessories per mile.
I was wondering if anyone has any more info on this and is experiencing the same thing.
I have been trying different hpyermilling techniques but as my entire commute is highway, I have found so far that the most efficient thing to do is just bring the speed down. I wonder if anyone is using a specific technique to bring their regenerative breaking level up.
I tried digging through the forum and could not really find where this topic would fit, or any other threads on this topic so hopefully it is landing in the right topic.
Thank you for your responses, in advance.
The Hairy one

The significant digits in the "regen per mile" display are too few for the value to be useful.

Keep in mind that you're probably only consuming 0.25 to 0.3 kWh per mile. So it's not at all unexpected that your regen would be less than 0.1 kWh per mile. They should have put another digit there.

If you want more detailed info on your regen and consumption, check out the "electric rate simulation" page.

As far as increasing your regeneration, the hypermilers will tell you that maximum efficiency comes from AVOIDING regeneration. That is, timing your actions so that you arrive at a stop with less momentum and don't need to let the brakes or regen slow you down as much.

Second best thing would be to use regen instead of friction brakes. That too has to do with anticipation so that regen is enough to slow the car. Anticipate stops so that gentle brake pedal application; just enough to get the 4 regen "bubbles", does most of the slowing work.

Regen isn't something to strive for in and of itself. It's a partial recapture of "wasted energy", but best to waste less to begin with.

Very little regen on the highway unless you have significant hills or lots of speed changes.

Back