Recommended Maintenance on LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekbaazigar

My leaf is 8 months old with about 5K miles. I have a question on the recommended maintenance. Is it required to have a maintenance every 6 months ? Are there any restrictions or requirements that leased vehicles have to be serviced every 6 months ? The dealership of course would want me have it done.

Also, what is the maintenance on LEAF entails ? since there is no real engine per se.

Most people get their Leaf serviced yearly, at the mandatory battery check. Service is basically just an inspection and tire rotation (often at no charge depending on the dealer), with a brake fluid flush at the 2 or 3 year mark.

Be aware of the fact that the dealer will try hard to pad that visit with all kinds of "things" you don't yet, if ever, need them to do. Tell them to do all the necessary "things" AT NO COST TO YOU, and nothing else!

Be prepared - no loaner is forthcoming. :p

ekbaazigar said:
My leaf is 8 months old with about 5K miles. I have a question on the recommended maintenance. Is it required to have a maintenance every 6 months ? Are there any restrictions or requirements that leased vehicles have to be serviced every 6 months ? The dealership of course would want me have it done.

Also, what is the maintenance on LEAF entails ? since there is no real engine per se.
Did your dealer provide you with a Service and Maintenance Guide? If not, I would demand one.

I believe the vast majority of LEAF drivers fall in the schedule 2, (less severe) category. Nada at 6 months, except rotate tires.

And note: The mandatory battery checks are based on number of months, not miles.

Pull out your manual and you'll see the maintenance items. As others have noted the major one is the annual battery check and brake fluid flush. The other thing not noted is the cabin air filter which can be pretty spendy to have the dealer do.

If you are on a 2 year or 3 year lease you should spend exactly zero on maintenance.
Rotate tires every 7500 miles and yearly battery check, that is it.
Cabin filter only needs to be changed every 3-4 years if you live in a hot and dusty climate, if leasing decline it.

Brake fluid should only be changed if it is indicating on a test strip or brake fluid tester that is actually needs done. Again leasing decline it.

Don't let the dealer threaten you with voiding your warranty, you can decline everything but the yearly battery check.

The dealer gets paid to do the battery check by Nissan. You can get your tires rotated for free at places like Les Schwab or Discount Tire.

Service writers are paid on commission, always be suspicious of up-sells.

Remember this easy rule, if you are leasing you should pay nothing for maintenance, don't let any dealer talk you into paying for anything on a lease.

Decline all of the following:
Headlight fluid replacement
Motor lubrication replacement
Muffler bearing lubrication/alignment/replacement, even if they offer you a free upgrade to a chrome one.
Any kind of lubrication in fact
Battery rotation
Special EV dry cleaning
Refrigerant replacement
Transmission flush
Radiator/cooling flush
Etc.

ebill3 said:
ksnogas2112 said:
TurboFroggy said:
Battery rotation

LOL +1
You know, I'll bet that somewhere in this country, a dealer has tried to charge for that service.

Yeah, that's silly. Now "Electron rotation". That might be worth it ;-)

Seriously, though. +1 on the tire rotation at 7,500. I waited for the 1 year mark to do this, and wore my front tires down too much. I recommend getting a tread gauge and keeping a close eye on this, unless you want to prematurely ditch two tires like me.

Also, didn't see this mentioned, but you may want to have an wheel alignment check shortly after purchase.

TurboFroggy said:
If you are on a 2 year or 3 year lease you should spend exactly zero on maintenance.
Rotate tires every 7500 miles and yearly battery check, that is it.
Cabin filter only needs to be changed every 3-4 years if you live in a hot and dusty climate, if leasing decline it.

Brake fluid should only be changed if it is indicating on a test strip or brake fluid tester that is actually needs done. Again leasing decline it.

Don't let the dealer threaten you with voiding your warranty, you can decline everything but the yearly battery check.

The dealer gets paid to do the battery check by Nissan. You can get your tires rotated for free at places like Les Schwab or Discount Tire.

Service writers are paid on commission, always be suspicious of up-sells.

Remember this easy rule, if you are leasing you should pay nothing for maintenance, don't let any dealer talk you into paying for anything on a lease.

Decline all of the following:
Headlight fluid replacement
Motor lubrication replacement
Muffler bearing lubrication/alignment/replacement, even if they offer you a free upgrade to a chrome one.
Any kind of lubrication in fact
Battery rotation
Special EV dry cleaning
Refrigerant replacement
Transmission flush
Radiator/cooling flush
Etc.

Discount Tire recommends every 5000-6000 miles.

richard said:
Also, didn't see this mentioned, but you may want to have an wheel alignment check shortly after purchase.
Really?

Can you please post numbers showing the correct values and how far off yours were? TIA!

RegGuheert said:
richard said:
Really?

Can you please post numbers showing the correct values and how far off yours were? TIA!
Yes, this is the first I've heard of alignment as a manufacturing problem, or a problem during normal use.

Discount Tire recommends every 5000-6000 miles.

I actually agree, every 5000-6000 would be better.

I would also recommend going with around 40-44 PSI in your tires. They wear much more even and handing is less wallowy. This is because the Leaf is a little heavier than a normal gas car that would have the same size tires on it. This causes accelerated wear on the outside edges of the tire before the center part wears out. If you run the stock pressures your tires will start to wear quite badly around 20K miles but at 44PSI and rotated regularly they can last 30K-40K miles pretty easy.

TurboFroggy said:
I would also recommend going with around 40-44 PSI in your tires. They wear much more even and handing is less wallowy. This is because the Leaf is a little heavier than a normal gas car that would have the same size tires on it. This causes accelerated wear on the outside edges of the tire before the center part wears out. If you run the stock pressures your tires will start to wear quite badly around 20K miles but at 44PSI and rotated regularly they can last 30K-40K miles pretty easy.

Seems crazy to me that running the tire at near max PSI is going to increase tire life by 50 to 100 percent.

Back