RearView Monitor not standard in MY2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last two vehicles were Infiniti's and the feature I miss than anything else is the AVM. The rear camera is great and I will never buy another car without one, but I LOVED the AVM. It was one of those features I could care less about but once I had it I hated to lose it. On the Infiniti's I had we had a front view, right side view, both sides view and a rear view. You could press a button on the dash and cycle through each view. LOVED the front view and used it almost every day while pulling into parking lots. I may be looking at the new Infiniti when it is out in 2014.

defiancecp said:
Fair point on the guides if you care about that (I don't personally).
Those curved guides were what sold me on the value of the LEAF RVM. We have a similar unit on our Prius, but without the lines, and I considered it nearly useless. With the lines I can slip into a parallel parking space with no sweat, no jockeying. The same for a narrow twisting exit I often have to make from our driveway. (Don't ask!)

But the post by drees has me wondering: Is there a 7" color screen on the S model when you add the "Charge Package"? If not, what kind of a display for the camera do you get? And how do we know it would have the guide lines?

Ray

According to this handy chart from plugincars.com, you can get the rearview camera on the S if you get the charger package which includes the 6.6 kW OBC, QC port and rearview camera. I have to assume that the Navigation/7"-color-screen of the SV/SL also gets you the rearview camera as it does on the 2011/2012 LEAF.

this is the reason why i rated the 2013 prices as fair only. on the surface it looks good because it gives options but NONE of the options includes the two most essential options that were included in 2012 pricing of QC and RVC.

both have extras added that is quickly becoming apparent that most do not want making the pricing more a marketing move than a customer service move.

It makes no sense that the rearview monitor would be available as option w/the Charger Package on the S if it doesn't come w/the nav system on the SV/SL - or at least was available on the SV w/the LED+QC package and standard on the SL.

right! which is the point of this thread and something i fear is that RVC on the S in a 4" version might require too much concentration and an issue with peripheral obstacles.

thinking that maybe the Ford idea of putting RVC on rear view mirror (if not equiped with larger NAV screen) might be better instead.

FYI; driving Fiesta rental while Prius is being settled (should get money today which makes it essentially too late to go car shopping before trip) and its first time driving with no backup camera since 2004 and this really brings home how much I miss it. i really feel blind

garygid said:
The very good sound system in my 2010 Prius (an upgraded JVC
system perhaps?) is substantially superior to the rather marginal
sound system in my LEAF, in my almist-deaf opinion.
You mean JBL. Stereo choices in Gen 2 and 3 Priuses were the regular stereo or a JBL.

As for people complaining about the trunk space loss w/the Bose unit. It's not THAT bad. My bigger concern would be it getting damaged by heavy items or stuff shifting around in the trunk area.

I like the rear view camera in my 06 Prius a lot, but there are no guide lines.

I too wish that one could get the rear view camera on the SV and SL w/o paying for the premium package. If I ever finally get my Leaf, if it's a new '13, I'll likely be just going for a SV w/the LED + quick charge package.

davewill said:
You can absolutely retrofit an rear view camera into an SV, and you get all the features. Here's the thread:
How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics
Yes, that's very nice for a 2011 or 2012 SV. But if they have replaced the operating system driving the AV Control Unit on a 2013, what are the chances the same approach will work?

I guess I should give a reference for that: Full 2013 Nissan LEAF Specs out
prberg said:
I just got a response [from Nissan]. "The updates you suggested will not be available for the older models of the LEAF because the 2011 and 2012 have completely different operating systems and were not built with the capacity of the 13's.
Ray

planet4ever said:
davewill said:
You can absolutely retrofit an rear view camera into an SV, and you get all the features. Here's the thread:
How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics
Yes, that's very nice for a 2011 or 2012 SV. But if they have replaced the operating system driving the AV Control Unit on a 2013, what are the chances the same approach will work? ...
I'd guess quite high. If you read the thread, you'll see that he has done this mod on lots of different Nissan models. There just isn't any real reason for Nissan to do this differently. I fully expect that the camera is still standard video, and that there will still be an external signal signalling that the camera is attached.

Exactly - It'll be a different software, sure, but one that still performs the same functions with the same wires, meaning the same upgrade would work - so long as you have the nav unit. With the stock S unit though, who knows if it supports bu cam at all, or if the apparently smaller screen would be usable even if it did.

Thank You, OrientExpress! Nissan does indeed listen:

Customer ChatChat Transcript [just now]

Amanda: Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support, my name is Amanda. How may I help you today Mike?
Amanda: Good Afternoon!
Mike: I have heard that the Rear View Camera Monitor has been determined to be Standard on the 2013 SV/SL -- can you verify this? And the All Around Camera Monitor is optional on SV/SL.
Amanda: Yes, correct on our SL and SV models. The all around is an option that [can] be added to the vehicle.
Mike Thank you! That is great to hear! Before I go, can you say whether this was a change or merely a typo in the original specs?
Amanda: Sure not a problem. Yes, this is a change...

Here is an update on this. I spoke with my contacts in Nissan product planning and confirmed that the RVC is NOT standard on any of the 2013 LEAF models. Quite probably what happened is that the OP of this rumor saw a RVC that was part of the AVM on a 2013 car and did not notice the other 3 cameras.

With that said, look for a return of the RVC on the 2014 LEAF when the NVSS section mandating RVCs kicks in next year. Nissan is assuming that the NVSS standard on RVCs will be published shortly.

I will also pass on the note about customer care incorrectly listing the RVC as standard (though the transcript below, does not actually say that the RVC is standard, only that the AVC is optional. It looks more like a typo than an affirmation).

This:

Mike: I have heard that the Rear View Camera Monitor has been determined to be Standard on the 2013 SV/SL -- can you verify this? And the All Around Camera Monitor is optional on SV/SL.
Amanda: Yes, correct on our SL and SV models. The all around is an option that [can] be added to the vehicle.

Probably should have been this:

Amanda: Yes, correct on our SL and SV models, the all around is an option that [can] be added to the vehicle.

Oh well, the saga continues.

I'd assume that something like this can't be added back, that quickly. It would be nice if they can have just an AVM or RVM option.

I'm not disputing OE's info, but a dealer here sent the question to Nissan for Vendors, NOT CS, and he showed me the printed page that definitely said the RVM is Standard on SV/SL. It said nothing about the ARVM. We will know for sure when one comes in. Here, an SL w/o the ARVM is to arrive FEB 15.

Do any good options exist for third-party wireless backup cameras that could easily be installed in 2013 SV/SL's? Hate the thought of having to purchase the Premium Package just to get rear view monitoring. Would likely be leasing the car and my mechanical skills to do any type of modifications (running wires, etc.) are next to none, so it would have to be something simple :lol:

EngravEER said:
Do any good options exist for third-party wireless backup cameras that could easily be installed in 2013 SV/SL's? Hate the thought of having to purchase the Premium Package just to get rear view monitoring. Would likely be leasing the car and my mechanical skills to do any type of modifications (running wires, etc.) are next to none, so it would have to be something simple :lol:
I don't have an answer to your question, but I will offer to assist you with installing one if you choose to go that route. Also, if you stop by I can show you how it works on the 2011 SL, but I imagine you have already seen it at the dealer.

I've been on the phone with my salesperson (haven't ordered the Leaf yet.. hoping to do so this weekend) and he is adamant with me that even though it's not listed anywhere, the SV Navigation includes the rearview monitor and camera. I'm skeptical...

Can anyone who has a MY2013 SV standard package in their driveway comment whether you have it or not? I've read through this forum and everyone here is equally adamant (backed up by the specs) that the RVM is not there.

Thanks!

Back