Quick, No Tool, Access to Emergency Battery Disconnect

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary suggested that the bolts be stainless steel, so the next batch of bolts will be M6-1 x 16 stainless steel bolts, and I changed the knurled knob to red. If I already sent you a set of bolts, they are the previous steel bolt / black knurl.

Price goes up to $7 shipped.

LEAF-RedKnurledBolts.jpg

811f3284.jpg

Ingineer said:
Herm said:
Humm, an easy place to measure pack current and half voltage.. PHIL!!!
I do not recommend this. The best way is via the CAN bus, as the car has already instrumented well for these metrics.
-Phil

The can-bus numbers match actual readings?.. they can be trusted?

Herm said:
Ingineer said:
Herm said:
Humm, an easy place to measure pack current and half voltage.. PHIL!!!
I do not recommend this. The best way is via the CAN bus, as the car has already instrumented well for these metrics.
-Phil

The can-bus numbers match actual readings?.. they can be trusted?
Absolutely. The LEAF trusts them, and that's how it's systems make their decisions. Things like battery voltage are derived very precisely by the BMS (Battery Management System) ECU, and if they are wrong, it could be the difference between a battery fire or years of life lost from the pack!

In fact the precision and amount of information gathered by the various systems in the LEAF is impressive! You'd probably lose precision if you attempted to use an average multimeter to read something.

-Phil

Herm said:
Phil, in your opinion.. what is the actual capacity of the battery and how much does Nissan allow to be used?

I've already answered the capacity question for you back in Feburary... From this thread:
Ingineer said:
AndyH said:
Herm said:
This is great news because it reassures us that the pack will be long lived, if you only charge up to 80% of usable then even better, the car will rust to death before the battery fails. Can you now access actual cell temperatures during use?.. should be handy to decipher the CAN bus.

Any ideas on the actual energy density of the cells with this new data?
The module weight is on the AESC website (3.8kg). It appears that AESC's 66Ah number on their site is the consumer capacity rather than ultimate. This is common for battery vendors, but not universal, so it's good to have confirmation.

http://www.eco-aesc-lb.com/en/bmodule.html

Reserving 10% top and bottom gives the best capacity/life ratio - so routine charges to 95% should put us into 150,000 mile pack life territory...

66Ah is likely correct. The Battery ECU dynamically calculates this value and keeps a record of it to use for the other calculations. The car I logged was reading 67.568Ah.

-Phil

As for the exact "Usable", I don't have a firm answer... YET! (Will soon) But I believe that is all technically "uasable".

-Phil

Back