Quick Charging comes to Southern California

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
I guess the answer is that you can't...

mogur said:
Anyone know how to add a charging station to the nav WITHOUT having to visit it? I wanted to add the Mitsu QC but can't figure out a way to do so...
This is what I have done several times for ChargePoint locations (I haven't tried to use the Car Wings route like TonyWilliams, and I won't until my Car Wings access gets fixed):
1. Get exact location from ChargePoint map, using nearby landmarks.
2. In Leaf, Menu -> Destination -> Place (could be nearby landmark) or Address -> Store Location (assigns default name)
3. Menu -> Settings -> Navigation -> Stored Locations
4. Find and select default name.
5. Use Move to accurately locate charge point on map
6. Use Edit to assign meaningful name, icon, and charger type (L1, L2, L3). There is a ChargePoint icon.

Boomer23 said:
Mwalsh mentioned (I wasn't aware of this) that since I started charging with more than 50% charge, that the charger would run until I was 100% charged, but that since his LEAF was starting with under 50% charge, that the charger would stop at 80% and need to be re-started if he wanted to go above that percentage.
This behavior is new to me as well. It is applies to all charging, not just QC, right ? This explains why several times I have returned to my car while charging and have been surprised to find that the charging has stopped at 80%. I had tried setting the next timer at 100%, but that had not worked. Thanks.

tbleakne said:
Boomer23 said:
Mwalsh mentioned (I wasn't aware of this) that since I started charging with more than 50% charge, that the charger would run until I was 100% charged, but that since his LEAF was starting with under 50% charge, that the charger would stop at 80% and need to be re-started if he wanted to go above that percentage.
This behavior is new to me as well. It is applies to all charging, not just QC, right ? This explains why several times I have returned to my car while charging and have been surprised to find that the charging has stopped at 80%. I had tried setting the next timer at 100%, but that had not worked. Thanks.
From everthing I am aware of ... it DOES apply only to QC, not J1772 charging. But if I am wrong, or if tbleakne has discovered something, or his car is simply "off" ... that would be interesting.

LEAFer said:
From everything I am aware of ... it DOES apply only to QC, not J1772 charging. But if I am wrong, or if tbleakne has discovered something, or his car is simply "off" ... that would be interesting.

No, you're correct....that behavior should only apparent during QC, and on a car that is less than 50% charged.

Yes, a QC "session" starting over 50% will go to near "100%".
Somewhere before 80% it begins to slow from perhaps 80 amps
down to 17 amps at about 87% on the SOC-Meter
(which looked more like 95% on the QC Progress Bar, but
I am not sure which indicator was more "accurate" in this case).

-----------
But, when using L2/L1 ... set up normal timer-based 80% charging,
one can override to 100% and start charging immediately.

However, if this "override" charging is interrupted for any reason:
1. Somebody removes and then replaces the nozzle
2. EVSE "taking a break" for some reason
3. Power outage

It appears that the charging will resume "under timer control",
NOT "override" control. Then, charging would be to 80% (not 100%)
and possibly be waiting for a Timer-Start event.

LEAFer said:
tbleakne said:
Boomer23 said:
From everthing I am aware of ... it DOES apply only to QC, not J1772 charging. But if I am wrong, or if tbleakne has discovered something, or his car is simply "off" ... that would be interesting.
Upon further reflection, I retract my comment. The shutoffs I have experienced involved charging periods too short at L2 to go from <50% to 80%. Perhaps the public charging stations (one ChargePoint, the other Eaton) had been programmed with some unlisted session-limits.

Back