Quick Charge Power shuts down

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
91040 said:
Sorry that you are reducing your commitment to the Leaf. You have done more than most to advance the use of BEVs and the Leaf in particular ... ... ... ... ... snip
and a HELL of a lot more than Nissan has done when Nissan ought to have been lighting a fire under the PUC's feet YEARS ago, in anticipation of Southern California's quick charge needs.

Heck, one iddy biddy lawsuit got SoCal Edison to change one EV rate plan!!!

I understand why you came to the decision Tony, but the need is still there and you were right on target.

I suggest that those of use that are serious continue to pledge and that the money be placed into escrow.
We secure permits in the target locations while the capital is accumulating and perhaps try to get involvement from local governments and do some grant writing.

I know that vendors are trying hard to get sell DCQC's and would work with a solid organization with capital to get some commission by selling them.

The issue is that there is no money in DCQC's so waiting around for businesses to install them probably won't happen.

I know that you're still down dude, let's do it!

GotMyleaf said:
I understand why you came to the decision Tony, but the need is still there and you were right on target.

I suggest that those of use that are serious continue to pledge and that the money be placed into escrow.
We secure permits in the target locations while the capital is accumulating and perhaps try to get involvement from local governments and do some grant writing.

I know that vendors are trying hard to get sell DCQC's and would work with a solid organization with capital to get some commission by selling them.

The issue is that there is no money in DCQC's so waiting around for businesses to install them probably won't happen.

I know that you're still down dude, let's do it!

Well... My angle is not risking your money, mostly because of the VERY real issue of failure. No matter how much money is raised, at some point, the enterprise must stand on its own. The very folks who this would benefit from such a service, and actually pay the costs per service, are not currently in great enough volume to sustain any DC charger anywhere in the whole state.

I will have one of the DC chargers that I'm already obligated to, and paying for, at my house to test the hardware, software, credit card reader, etc. I called the electric company, and it won't be possible to get three phase (like these units would likely have "in the wild"), so we'll test on 240v at 80-150 amps, and then on DC power, probably at 350-400 volts (like a solar string).

Work will continue, but I'm not actively raising money.

Tony,

I appreciate your concern for our money. But with all due respect, it is my money to risk. As long as you inform us donors of the low chance of success, then you have met your obligations to us. It is a risk that I see as worth taking.

My pledge was to see if a non-profit could find a way to make a QC network work. We don’t have to see a future victory to run a race. Of everyone involved in public charging, YOU are the one I have faith in to find a way to make it work, so please run this race for me.

Whether it is a donation to a tax deductible charity, or just an arrangement between two guys, I want to publicly reaffirm my pledge to help you in these efforts, if/when you you’re ready for it.

Tony; sorry to hear about your decision to shut this down. I can only guess at your disappointment and have to imagine this was not an easy decision to make.

I do agree that the general air on this board has thickened quite a bit over an issue that should be uniting us but has seen to divide us instead. But no matter what, i do enjoy and appreciate your contributions and i hope they continue

TonyWilliams said:
cwerdna said:
Now that Quick Charge Power has shut down, did U-Haul's tow dolly insurance cover the car damage? I know you declined $ for repairs, but what about the others? If U-Haul said no and the repair costs haven't been covered, I'm still willing to chip in for that. I'd guess that others would be willing to as well.

Everything should be paid by next week. Once the check clears, I will identify the benefactor (it's not me).
For those who may have missed it, Tony identified the generous mystery benefactor (for the Phoenix range test) at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=236651#p236651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I was very surprised when I heard who it was. Hope this is a sign of positive things to come.

Back