Pushed a dent into the lift back; how do you remove the rear wiper cover? (So I can push it back out)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi Guuys,

Today I made a bump on the lift back (Lift gate?) after pushing it closed. I want to push it back out from the inside but i can't seem to remove that cover on the back. I popped the two plastic screws and a plastic like rectangular box but it still won't come off. Now before I try to rip it off and break it... what are the steps to take it off safely? This is that cover that covers the rear wiper motor from the inside.

NissanLeafCamper said:
Hi Guuys,

Today I made a bump on the lift back (Lift gate?) after pushing it closed. I want to push it back out from the inside but i can't seem to remove that cover on the back. I popped the two plastic screws and a plastic like rectangular box but it still won't come off. Now before I try to rip it off and break it... what are the steps to take it off safely? This is that cover that covers the rear wiper motor from the inside.
When a Home depot cart hit the back of mine and I tried to push it gently out from the outside I caused a second dent :D . I looked at the service manual procedure for taking the hatch apart, but decided the labour wasn't worth it at that time, so I had Dentex remove them with their suction cups or whatever they use. The cost was 125 Canadian loonies, haven't parked in the H.D. lot since.

It seems to be easy to remove. I just don't want to pull it off and damage the plastic. What manual did you read? Is it just the owner's manual? Or is it a service manual?

Looks like I'm going to have to rip the rear plastic cover after all :( Perhaps I can push the dent from the inside via the small opening of the two plastic screws I removed.... Just need to find something long thing and suitable...

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Garsh who sent me a PM I pushed the dent back out.

You have to remove the top finisher then side finishers and finally the bottom finisher to get to the rear area. Even then there is a piece of metal over lapping the back which blocks you from really being able to press with you hand. However, there a few large holes which I used to push the dent back out. I actually used the nissan's uh jack tool. That metal thing that looks a little like a mini crow bar. I used the one with the big cirle to get as much surface area to push against. Using only the tip can damage the metal. So use something that has a lot of surface area instead of something that has a pick needle end. You might push a hole through if you use something thin.

So anyway, I pushed it back out and it looks almost as good as new. Thank you so much Garsh! Oh and for the lower finisher you need to remove two little plastic screws and a plastic rectangular thing.

Back